Linksys WRT32x (AC 3200 UK ) Wifi is VERY flakey - Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
a7mag3ddon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:56    Post subject: Linksys WRT32x (AC 3200 UK ) Wifi is VERY flakey - Help Reply with quote
Hello,

Please can anyone help before I send this router back for a refund, using ddwrt on the router is causing major issues on the wifi bands. I have split them into 2.4, 5 and 2.4/5 but they just keep dropping out, when you go to the sysinfo page the info always says UNKNOWN on things like power, channel etc.

Only way to get it up and running again is to re-flash and reload my nvram settings but then it will drop again the next day.

I bought this one as it was recommended for installing ddwrt on it because I had moved from a WNDR4500 with it installed and got familiar with it.

I have tried 2 firmware's so far and both are just as bad.

I only have a few days left before I can return it, please help!! if its a known issue I will buy a different model.
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 15:30    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT32x (AC 3200 UK ) Wifi is VERY flakey - Help Reply with quote
a7mag3ddon wrote:
Hello,

Please can anyone help before I send this router back for a refund, using ddwrt on the router is causing major issues on the wifi bands. I have split them into 2.4, 5 and 2.4/5 but they just keep dropping out, when you go to the sysinfo page the info always says UNKNOWN on things like power, channel etc.

Only way to get it up and running again is to re-flash and reload my nvram settings but then it will drop again the next day.

I bought this one as it was recommended for installing ddwrt on it because I had moved from a WNDR4500 with it installed and got familiar with it.

I have tried 2 firmware's so far and both are just as bad.

I only have a few days left before I can return it, please help!! if its a known issue I will buy a different model.

Build r40134 is solid for the WRT32X.

Unless you really need it and you know how to configure it properly, then I strongly advise against having the third radio enabled. So disable ath2.

Use AC/N Mixed VHT80 for 5GHz (ath0)
Use NG-Mixed Full 20MHz for 2.4GHz (ath1).
Use WPA2 Personal AES security ONLY.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
a7mag3ddon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, i downloaded and installed FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img which i think is the version you recomend according to the ftp in your signature.

I cant disable ath2 as my smart devices (2 alexas, several wall plugs and 3 bulbs) will only connect to that one (no idea why!) i do have my 2.4 and 5ghz set up exactly how you describe, the 5ghz needs to be on wideband to get the full 400mbit internet i have.

I will try one more time though to reset and reset it up as you suggest but ive ordered a netgear r8000 to try as well because im running out of time to return the linksys one.
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
a7mag3ddon wrote:
Thanks, i downloaded and installed FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img which i think is the version you recomend according to the ftp in your signature.

I cant disable ath2 as my smart devices (2 alexas, several wall plugs and 3 bulbs) will only connect to that one (no idea why!) i do have my 2.4 and 5ghz set up exactly how you describe, the 5ghz needs to be on wideband to get the full 400mbit internet i have.

I will try one more time though to reset and reset it up as you suggest but ive ordered a netgear r8000 to try as well because im running out of time to return the linksys one.

Your problems with smart devices is likely due to their being ESP8266 based devices. These devices will work with the stock firmware but because the drivers are priviledged by Lynksys, the Open software does not support them correctly. There have been numerous work arounds for this problem including the use of Ath2. In my experiences I have always reverted to disabling wmm support in the advanced settings for the 2.4Ghz. Because I run two 3200's I have one dedicated to handle my ESP8266 devices and the other with a different name for all my other devices. The downfall to disabling wmm is that most devices, other than ESP8266, cannot connect to the network. Just before writing this I did a quick test with one 3200 and added a virtual radio with the name I use for my ESP8266 devices and disabled wmm. Result was that all devices were able to connect without problem. It has been mentioned numerous times that using Ath2 should be discouraged, and to this I do agree since I found numerous WiFi problems would pop up. Also as you can see from my profile I am running r40009, which I recently reverted back to as I was losing GUI connection to all my linked routers randomly with any of the subsequent releases. I was also having problems with the latest release of WIN 10 which I thought might be affecting the routers, but I have not lost GUI contact with any of my routers since reverting back to r40009. There may be other problems with this release, but none that affect me so check with the post on the release you plan on using.

Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55460 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55460 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55460
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55460
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
a7mag3ddon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation, in the end i wiped the nvram and reflashed back to stock and returned it. i also found on the 5ghz band that my streaming devices were struggling to keep constant speeds and were a bit laggy, buffering now and again etc.

Because i only had a few days left in which to return it i thought it was best to do so and i have now purchased a Netgear X6 R8000 which i am hoping to flash later tonight when i get home. At the moment i set it up on stock and did some basic tests for the smart devices and streaming tests and all is good so fingers crossed it will work out for me in the end.

Had i started working on the WRT32x 2 weeks ago when i got it i may have had the time to do the settings with help on this page but just ran out of time.

Thanks to both for taking the time out to reply to me though, i very much apreciate it.
jayx4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:53    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote
"Build r40134 is solid for the WRT32X" Was going to sell it back but loaded r40134 and it works great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: