I see a mod for the Linksys WRT3200ACM in the future!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Justanotherbrokenrouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 23:36    Post subject: I see a mod for the Linksys WRT3200ACM in the future! Reply with quote
Both the WRT1900***, and the WRT3200ACM have the same fan connection circuits on the motherboard. Just wondering if the WRT3200ACM was modded the same way is there a possibility to find the code to turn on the fan. Time to find mod parts!
Sponsor
Justanotherbrokenrouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
For now I Just did the USB fan mod at least until a solid DD-WRT build comes around, so that I can finally see that it will be fine to allow the router extended warranty to expire. IF all this comes into place then I will do a internal fan mod wired just as the wrt1900. For now with the USB fan mod temps are CPU 54.5-55.5 °C / WL0 32.3 °C / WL1 32.9 °C. I think the internal fan mod would work with wrt3200 if wired just like the wrt1900, and coding may already be embedded in firmware. Im not using USB to transfer files over the internet, so I just used a USB cable that I already had on hand. The USB/eSATA port could be used for the fan power source if you need USB for file transfers such as Samba.
Justanotherbrokenrouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The fan I used was just a old computer fan 12v/.24amps, and with it just running at 5v it's very quiet. I used very small tie straps to keep from installing screws, and ruining the integrity of the router case. I don't think the Marvell chipset likes the excessive heat of 3rd party firmware, and Linksys should have originally installed a fan on the motherboard just like it was intended when these wrt routers series circuit boards where designed.
ValCher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Justanotherbrokenrouter
See my solution - https://github.com/ValCher1961/McDebian_WRT3200ACM/tree/master/hardware-mods
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56    Post subject: My WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Here is my router:
Justanotherbrokenrouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 18:55    Post subject: Re: My WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
scar1943 wrote:
Here is my router:

Very nice, and thanks for the information. I plan to modify mine internally. I will post details here, but I have to wait until the protection plan expires.

If you don't mind sharing. What is your recommendation on builds, and what do your speeds look like? I see we both run NordVPN. I upgraded my internet to 480Mbps/25Mbps and only getting a return of 80Mbps/23Mbps, but with no packet loss through UDP protocol NordVPN.
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 19:45    Post subject: Re: My WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Justanotherbrokenrouter wrote:

If you don't mind sharing. What is your recommendation on builds, and what do your speeds look like? I see we both run NordVPN. I upgraded my internet to 480Mbps/25Mbps and only getting a return of 80Mbps/23Mbps, but with no packet loss through UDP protocol NordVPN.

Greetings Just. Well, I have NEVER seen more then 100Mbps through vpn (+- reasonable error). So, in vpn I get 100x20. Outside vpn I see 200x20 pretty reliably, which is the speed I pay for. I know nordvpn makes some claims of zero limits, but I have reservations about that, or the hardware/firmware openvpn overhead is taxing the router and it can't go faster. I'm not sure which. So the fact you only see 80 really doesn't surprise me. Shut off VPN and see what you get.

As far as the build, these later builds seem slightly friskier I assume due to the new kernel changes. I'm making a complete assumption in that statement. However, these later builds seem to have a hand full of other issues that BS isn't finding. So in short, I try and stick with the latest build, and only step back when it flat out isn't working in some function I depend on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: