Thoughts on how to utilize my DDWRT R7000P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dustinarden
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 22:20    Post subject: Thoughts on how to utilize my DDWRT R7000P Reply with quote
Ok so old thread is below. I basically realized I couldn't use DDWRT as my primary router connected to my cable modem to get gigabit speeds via comcast.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320113

My original DDWRT install was doing DNS/DHCP/dnsmasq and also running an openVPN client which was only being utilized by like two IP's.

I'm assuming all those things just made it not being able to handle and provide gigabit speeds to the rest of my LAN.

So now I basically have a stock Netgear R7000P as my primary router / Wifi box. I really hate having stock firmware in charge my of my primary gateway as I've been using DDWRT for so many years, but its whatever. Stock Netgear is connected directly to the cable modem. Both NAS's are connected to it as well as my TP link switch which feeds the house ethernet. Stock Netgear is serving Wifi along with my Ubuiquti AP and speeds are fine.

I have a rPi for pihole and another rPi for OpenVPN server which allows me to connect to my LAN from the outside world.

I'm going to move DHCP and all DNS to the pihole rPi which basically leaves the DDWRT R7000P as a glorified hub at this point. I wish I could have DDWRT be my main router OS but so far its a no go. I still would like to have my DDWRT R7000P be my VPN client for outgoing traffic and my DDNS system since the stock Netgear firmware doesnt support freedns.org (DUMB!).

I've enabled the "Use external IP check" for the DDNS service on my DDWRT R7000P but it doesnt seem to "auto fix" itself. If i log into the router its usually in a state of "connecting" .. if i save the page it refreshes and connects. Thats a little wonky to me as I need it to just "work" without manual intervention. Is this a byproduct my of network config or something else I need to change within DDWRT to make it more stable? Its no longer the primary gateway so I dont know if that has something to do with it or not.

I stubbornly just dont want to give up on my DDWRT router. I want it to serve a purpose. Since its no longer the actual gateway for my LAN to the internet should I alter other settings within it to make it more "correct" for its now intended purpose? I'm thinking about making the WAN port just another LAN port. Curious about how others are leveraging their DDWRT routers in similar (if even remotely) situation.

Sorry for the rambling .. its the 4th .. i've had some drinks.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 17:37    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to utilize my DDWRT R7000P Reply with quote
dustinarden wrote:
I stubbornly just dont want to give up on my DDWRT router. I want it to serve a purpose. Since its no longer the actual gateway for my LAN to the internet should I alter other settings within it to make it more "correct" for its now intended purpose? I'm thinking about making the WAN port just another LAN port. Curious about how others are leveraging their DDWRT routers in similar (if even remotely) situation.
All my DD routers are setup as an AP or Client+AP. Repeater+AP is another easy option. And yes map WAN to LAN for all of them. Smile
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

Bridged modes are not recommended for Broadcom routers unless you only have one client and need network access across the bridge. And WDS has been broken for BCM ARM for a while. :-/

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: