Issues flashing back to stock f/w? [NETGEAR] Read this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
neonknight77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:05    Post subject: Issues flashing back to stock f/w? [NETGEAR] Read this! Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Today I had trouble flashing back to my original NETGEAR firmware for my R7000P. I tried upgrading the firmware through the DD-WRT GUI with Firefox, I.E., and Chrome to no avail.

It continuously kept booting back in to the DD-WRT GUI.

What I finally did to rectify the issue was this:

1) Enable SSH via Services tab in DDWRT, w/ pass. Download Putty (which comes with PuTTYGeN). Open PuTTYGen and create a new auth.key. Paste the public key in the space underneath where you just turned on SSH in DD-WRT GUI [Hit APPLY]. Save the Private Key to your PC.

2) Open up a SFTP protocol file-transfer, I used Filezilla for today. Go to Edit -> Settings -> SFTP, click ADD KEY FILE in the middle.
-Select the private MASTER KEY you saved previously.
--Hit OK

3) Enter the following integers in the appropriate boxes:
Host:"sftp://<YOURGATEWAY>", Username:"root"
EX: "sftp://192.168.1.1", "root"
-Hit connect.

If you are able to access the /tmp/ folder, you are good to proceed to the next stage. (Above was solely to verify the transfer will go smoothly.

A) Enable TFTP in Windows by clicking Start- "Turn Windows Features On or Off"
--Tick SFTP

B) Open command prompt, type "ping -t <YOURGATEWAY"
-Open another command prompt and change directories to where you have the stock NETGEAR firmware file. (C:/ is easiest as "cd.." will always take you there) [for the basis of this, we will invoke that <FIRMWARE.img> is in C:/.

Ba)***DO NOT PRESS ENTER AFTER TYPING** Type "tftp -i <YOURGATEWAY> put <ROUTERFIRMWARE>.[extension]"

C) Unplug your Router [for ~10sec], take your favorite object you've always used to push those tiny reset buttons and get ready.

D) Begin holding RESET while powering up the router.

E) CONTINUE HOLDING THE RESET BUTTON,

UNTIL

THE POWER LIGHT FLASHES ABOUT 10 TIMES (ORANGE+WHITE LIGHTS = 10, GOOD!) [doesn't need to all be Orange/Red, white is included] (At this point, you should see your ping CMD show the router is open to communication).

RELEASE RESET BUTTON and PUSH ENTER in the CMD where you typed the sftp command.

Open a cold one and wipe off the doubt that there's something broken with your expensive @$$ router.

Source:
Code:
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: