Proper way to hard reset R7000?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mbellot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 23:22    Post subject: Proper way to hard reset R7000? Reply with quote
I've been trying (and failing) to implement some changes to my R7000 configuration (more in another thread soon) and have managed to get it into a state several times where it will not respond to any device on the local network (wired or wireless, not even serving DHCP addresses), so I couldn't get in (web or ssh) to erase the nvram and try again.

By some dumb luck I managed to get in from the WAN side because I have DDNS and remote ssh setup. From there I managed to erase the nvram, get local access again and start over.

So I've done a lot of poking around the internet and this forum in particular and can't seem to find an answer that actually work.

30-30-30 is generally not recommended for the R7000 (ARM based router).

I found one post that suggested power-on, immediately press and hold reset for ~ 8 seconds.

Another suggested holding down the WPS button while applying power, then wait for the power LED to flash several times.

None of these worked, so either there is another way or I'm not doing something correctly.

So, if I'm going to continue locking myself out, I would like to have the ability to perform a factory reset/nvram erase without having to rely on the WAN back door, in case I manage to screw that up too.

EDIT:

Sorry, forgot the router and firmware info...

R7000
DD-WRT v3.0-r37985M kongac ( 12/16/18 )

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Reset_And_Reboot

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Factory_Defaults

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mbellot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the first link had the answer fairly clearly, the other two were more typical of the answers I found in multiple places that didn't actually work.

I needed the "Hard Reset (30 Reset)" procedure.

Key to the process (I think) is that the router needs to be on and (presumably) fully booted since my guess is that resetbuttond needs to be running to get activated.

Thanks for pointing out the option that finally worked.

Navigation

Jump to: