QoS in real life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
NinthWave
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 22:34    Post subject: QoS in real life Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:

Based on your score, you can tweak your qos settings.
Comcast over provisions their speeds by 20% so take that into consideration vs. your "on-paper" speeds when setting qos. I have 150/10 and you can see my settings in the pic below. My signature has a link to the QOS priorities.

@msengineer,

Unfortunately, your QoS setting's pictures do not stay in the quote but this is the first time I see such a nice example of QoS.

I have read and applied this https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service and the additional resources at the bottom of the page and it seemed to work for a while, but I made some changes yesterday and it hung the router. It kept dropping connection "wired" every 5 seconds so I had to make prowesses to disable the QoS.

I have 30/10 internet service and what I want is my HIFI Music Streamer to get top priority so no music won't stutter (Cambridge Audio) and my Android Kodi for streaming not buffering. What I don't want is the teenager to monopolize my WAN while watching stupid vloggers at 1080p on Youtube on a 7in tablet. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very MadEvil or Very MadEvil or Very Mad

When I did have QoS working, I was by IP where the Streamagic was PREMIUM, the Android Box at EXPRESS and I limited the teenager at 3MbsDown/500kbsUP. I don't understand why it ended by hanging the router.

Anyhow, any help?

Thanks.

[EDIT]
Further DSLreports give downspeed at 34Mbps and Up at 10 Mbps as expected

Here is a picture of the network activity related to my music Streamer. I don't know if any L7 services are defined to music streaming.

PC is LAN 10.0.0.100
Control Point is Wifi 10.0.0.30
Streamer is LAN 10.0.0.30
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firstly, what router do you have?
If it's something with 8mb of flash space it'll likely also lack the processing power to handle all you're trying to accomplish and may explain your stability issues.

Not to be a dick, but can you upgrade your speed tier to support multiple devices in the home? 30/10 is good for 1-2 devices at best. Otherwise, QoS is going to be lots of trial an error. The simple thing to do would be to "Enable Per User Default Limits" and split it up evenly. You could get a little more technical and perform MAC based priority. I think trying to get to application specific priority will be a total P.I.T.A.

I am no QoS guru, and I try to keep things as simple as possible. I simply put together, in a more concise/clear way, Tatsuya46's tips he outlined long ago (search for it).

Perhaps another user will chime in that has explicit experience limiting priority of specific apps/websites using QoS. I won't be offering much more assistance than this for this thread.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
NinthWave
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Firstly, what router do you have?

Sorry about that. I initially quoted you on the Archer A7 topics and decided to start a QoS topic.

Router Model TP-Link ARCHER-C7 v2
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r40048 std (06/16/19)
Kernel Version Linux 3.18.140 #43950 Sun Jun 16 05:38:22 CEST 2019 mips

All the LAN traffic is handled by gigabit unmanaged switch.

I wired everything in my condo so Wifi traffic is solely for the cell phones (SMS, MMS, low traffic) and the teenager iPad, which as stated previously, sole purpose is to watch stupid vlogger laughing at themselves and making millions out of it....

msoengineer wrote:
Not to be a dick, but can you upgrade your speed tier to support multiple devices in the home? 30/10 is good for 1-2 devices at best.

In any scenario, there are never more than three devices accessing the WAN, and only one by Wifi.

The music streamer is LAN only as it is playing my local FLAC discography.

The Android box, which is wired, is connected to a 1080p TV so, when playing HD content, it draws about 6-7 Mb/s on the WAN.

On his part, the teenager can be both gaming on his wired PC and watching Youtube's vlogger on his Wifi iPad or gaming and talking to his cousins through FB Messenger audio only (the cousins want to keep their conversations private and so they don't chat over the game's communication services).

Hence, the worst scenario is:
  • Wired android box streaming internet HD in one room &
  • Wired music streamer handling 24/96 audio files locally &
  • Wired PC gaming over WAN &
  • Wifi tablet streaming Youtube OR FB Messenger

From what I have read so far and from my limited knowledge's understanding, the Archer C7 should be able to handle that.

msoengineer wrote:
The simple thing to do would be to "Enable Per User Default Limits" and split it up evenly. You could get a little more technical and perform MAC based priority. I think trying to get to application specific priority will be a total P.I.T.A.

All my devices have static IPs so, as stated in my first post, my initial QOS setting was to set PREMIUM to the music server because I cannot stand stutter music or degraded sound, EXPRESS to the Android box and manually set the teenager's PC and iPAD at 3Mb/s UP / 500kb/s DOWN. I never checked the iPAD after that but I guess that Youtube got down to 720p and of course the teenager never saw any difference on the 7in screen. I guess I could have even reduce it to 480p and he would probably have never noticed.

It worked for a while but when I added another music streamer (I'm building one with mITX and DAC), then the router hung for unknow reasons.

So again, if you have any advice on how to set QoS, any help is welcome.

Thanks.

[EDIT]
As the cell phone reception is really poor in my condo, we have activated Wifi calling which passes phone calls over WAN/WLAN when inside the house. As we still have a hardline (Yes, I like wires Laughing), this is rarely used.

[EDIT]
On the wires thing
I despise ISP that tacks coax anywhere and Wifi is only as good as the router's quality, so instead of investing 300$ in a router that dies now an then, I invested in cable wiring Laughing

NinthWave
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
what u want is rate and ceil. i already tried this more than twice years ago, devs didnt like it for some reason & deemed it "too complicated" for users Rolling Eyes

ian5142 wrote:
Here is a screenshot of my relevant QoS settings. My services list is much longer than what is shown though.

The important part to do is to set the correct values at the top. Use 80-85% of your speedtest.net result for download speed and you can set 100% of the upload speed. Do several speedtest.net tests to get a fairly consistent average speed to measure off of. For reference my internet provider is giving me 100MB/s, but it often hovers around 95-105MB/s.

Gurus, I searched for "QOS" and "Tatsuya46" and I got like >400 topics I roamed. Those two quotes are from 2017.

@ian5142, I see in your signature that you still have an Archer C7 v2 but no mention of your build.

Any input on that?

Thanks.

LucasVanCleef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello friend, i have a archer c7 v2 too.
I like ddwrt but in question of qos, gargoyle firmware is the best so far.
Take a look
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/
I use most to prioritize my ps4 online games and works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: