NIghthawk R8000 Bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bizzs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 19:23    Post subject: NIghthawk R8000 Bricked Reply with quote
Hi guys, first time poster. I have a Netgear R8000 that had dd-wrt on it and I flashed it over to test merlin. After completing my task, I tried to flash it back to dd-wrt and it got bricked. I tried a majority of the tftp programs with negative results. I purchased a USB-TTL and jtaged the router and used putty. I got to the CFE prompt but I could not activate the tftp dos to flash. I erased the nvram and rebooted. The router went through the boot mode but now it stops and the last line displays "Waiting for wps button release". The power light is amber and rapidly blinks. I held in the WPS button for 2 minutes and released as well as held this button in while powering with negative result. It still gets stuck on "Waiting for wps button release." Any recommendations on what I should try next? I cannot not find this problem on google. Thanks, bizzs
Sponsor
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok when the router is booting up with the TTL USB adapter connected and you can see the text on the status while booting. You need to use the Control and C keys when powering it on to get to the CFE prompt. It may take a few tries. Once it there at cfe:> prompt type in tftpd and press enter which will start the tftpd which will accept a new firmware.

Then set your ip address manually on your computer. to these settings

IP address 192.168.1.10
Subnet 255.255.255.0 may auto fill in that info
gateway 192.168.1.1

Then get the tftp program http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/Tftp.exe

Then for server field 192.168.1.1
Password leave it blank.
Pick your firmware file for the next section and then click on upgrade and you will send the firmware over your Ethernet connection and it will program itself.

The usb ttl adapter is used to get the router into waiting for a firmware file only or to copy debugging info with putty.
bizzs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that method multiple times and I keep getting the same response. Would you kindly look at the attachment screen shot to review my next option?

Thanks
Bizzs
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to do the Control and C key when you power it up you only have a second or two to do that or it will continue to boot. Where it says decompressing..... Done.

Also did you ground the USB TTL device to the router? Sometimes key strokes do not work unless the unit is grounded to the USB TTL device. You can use the USB shielding on the router as a ground point.

You might be able to get to the CFE prompt if you spam those keys while powering the router on.

From what I see it did not even read the CFE keys and continued to boot.
bizzs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply. I have been trying the control c since I posted this thread and I cannot get it to the CFE prompt again. This problem just starting to occur since I had erased the nvram. I had no problems getting to the cfe prior and I am stumpt. The cable is grounded and inserted into the jtag pin. Can you elaborate about the CFE keys not being read? Is there a way to reload those keys? Thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smaller picture next time. Get a new router. I’ve had at least half a dozen Netgear routers stuck at “waiting for reset or was button release”.
Even Kong couldn’t help me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, I paid over 300 for that router last year and I cannot believe this happened. I am disappointed that there is not a fix for this problem. The wife is not going to be to happy with me.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since when is there an rmerlin firmware for the r8000?
Btw, it’s serial recovery you are doing not jtag. There is no jtag support for it that I know of.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found it on the net. I was using it for about 2 months and it worked good. It had the asus inteface GUI. I decided to switch back today and jacked my router up. Like I said, I am really mad at myself about blowing 300 bucks.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
The koolshare? Don’t use the wps button. What does the cfe output say when you hold the reset button in as it is butting up?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
What happens when you turn off the flow control to none in PuTTY. That is in the Serial options in PuTTY.

I found some info that needs to be set to None to send the Control + C command to disable the startup and knock you into the CFE prompt. Otherwise it can't send the key combo to the router to stop it from starting up.

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-serial-console-netgear-r8000
bizzs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi, the screen shot that I posted is everything that is displayed from the time the power is turned on until it stops at wps button line. I am a little confused on what you mean by cfe output say..

flood404, the flow control is turned off. I tried both settings and still no dice.

Thanks everyone, please keep the ideas coming my way. I just broke the news to the wife and I am on the crap list big time. Sad
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hold the reset button in as you power it up. Does the putty output say the same thing as before, if you keep the reset button pressed?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes it displays the same thing when I hold the reset button and power in at the same time. Additional I forgot to add that the amber power light is rapidly blinking consistantly.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Navigation

Jump to: