How to test alternate firmware on other partitions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 15:58    Post subject: How to test alternate firmware on other partitions? Reply with quote
This question applies to routers that have two partitions. The way I understand it is when we flash a firmware upgrade, it's the alternate partition that's actually being written to.

I have a wrt1900acs and am happy with dd-wrt's performance but I wanted to play around so I tried to install a new version of Gargoyle firmware just to see if it would work and if Gargoyle's QoS had improved. I figured I could just telnet in and set the boot partition back to dd-wrt.

The Garoyle firmware wouldn't upgrade over dd-wrt so I ended up with an older version of dd-wrt I had on that partition but, of course, the settings were wiped because I chose reset to defaults when upgrading.

When I changed the boot partition via telnet I found my newer dd-wrt was reset too. I'm assuming this is because NVRAM is shared by both. So is there any way to save settings on one partition or how are people testing alternate firmware?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: