2.4GHz Transmission errors

RockNLol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27    Post subject: 2.4GHz Transmission errors Reply with quote
hi,
I have 2 dd-wrt-routers, a Netgear R7000 and a Asus RT-N66U. Very recently a couple of clients couldn't connect to WiFi anymore. I upgraded the firmware on both routers (both had versions from end of 2016) and reset both to default. Since it still didn't work consistently (sometimes clients could connect, but not always), but better than before, I started diagnosing a bit. I checked for interfering WiFis with inSSIDer and changed the channels accordingly. Signal strength of 2.4GHz is at ~-50dB at the moment. Looking at the status-page for wl0 I noticed that there are lots of transmission errors, no wonder that doesn't work. 5GHz works fine though. Unfortunately I have a couple of clients that do not support 5GHz so I need 2.4GHz to work.

What can I try to improve this?

I don't think it is router related, since both my routers have the same issue. Also switching back to an older Kong build on the R7000 didn't change anything.

wifisettings.PNG
 Description:
My WiFi-Settings
 Filesize:  26.55 KB
 Viewed:  1518 Time(s)

wifisettings.PNG

errors.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.12 KB
 Viewed:  1521 Time(s)

errors.PNG

Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could be just one rogue client messing things up, so you can check per client if it is causing errors.

Below are my settings:
Only three regulatory domains are tested, United States, Europe and Germany.
I am using United States
Wireless Network mode: N/G Mixed
Only Enable Wireless SSID Broadcast, Disable everything else

Check for sources of interference like DECT, Microwave, and an attached USB 3 drive to your router

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
RockNLol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for your quick reply! i changed the regulatory domain to EUROPE and changed the SSID to something new, so no old clients try to connect.
also I disabled everything but SSID Broadcast as you suggested. But still none of clients can connect. Only the error counter on the statuspage rises, when they try to connect.
I also just tried nvram erase && reboot and setting everything back up.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm quite messy to guess witch build you are actually running...

"I don't think it is router related, since both my routers have the same issue. Also switching back to an older Kong build on the R7000 didn't change anything."

than its a client related or you are doing something bad as loading save file form a different build i guess...or probb using the wrong choices in WIFI encryption or some bad settings...send us a pic of your WiFi security & WiFi advanced settings too there must be something messy there...

my R7000 runs flawlessly...no issues at all
try with CANADA, NG-mixed, channel 11

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
RockNLol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
My R7000 is running DD-WRT v3.0-r37015M, The Asus RT-N66U is running DD-WRT v3.0-r39884 mega.
I did not load a settings file after resetting/upgrading, I started from scratch. I'll attach my advanced wifi settings, but I did not change anything from default there.

*edit: CANADA and channel 11 didn't work either.

*edit2: i tried again with DD-WRT v3.0-r39960M on my R7000 from Kongs TEST folder, but without any luck. I reset the router right after the upgrade and left everything as default, even wifi-security settings, but still 2.4GHz is not working.
There is some construction work going on at the moment. My whole district is getting new electric cables in the streets and new transformers. Can this be the problem?

*edit3: It seems to work, when bluetooth coexistence mode is set to Preemption! Does this mean, there is a very strong bluetooth device somewhere in the building?

wifisettings_advanced.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.96 KB
 Viewed:  1481 Time(s)

wifisettings_advanced.PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: