Beacon numbers for radiation/congestion reduction settings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:57    Post subject: Beacon numbers for radiation/congestion reduction settings. Reply with quote
See attached chart for valid beacon interval numbers. The prime numbers aren't masked by or collide with other wifi access points.

For rf sensitive people, longer time in-between 2.4ghz beacons, such as 293, prevents headache.

Other tip, Try DTIM set to 2 to enable phone and tablet power saving. Preventing wake-locks saves battery and reduces wifi congestion.

See also https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pzolee.wifiinfo Wifi Network Analyzer phone app--you probably don't want the 2.4ghz signal more than halfway up the scale if measured from your bedroom.

PrimeNumbers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.25 KB
 Viewed:  399 Time(s)

PrimeNumbers.jpg

Sponsor
SinCalChewy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
This post has been super helpful, as I'm in an apartment complex with lots of signals flying around.

My only question: I have client bridges on my network to the gateway. I have the beacon interval set there, and currently on my client bridges as the same. Should client bridges have the same interval? Or is it better off having a different interval than the gateway?

DTIM at 2 has helped a lot as well. Just wondering about the client bridge interval issue.

TIA! Smile

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7000 - 3x Kong's 40270M
Linksys E3000 - 2x build 40274M
Linksys E1200v2 - 1x build 40274M

Spares/Backups/Collection:
Too many to list. I have old routers, bricked routers, weird routers. You name it.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Setting 2.4GHz band to 293 and 5GHz band to 241 seems to be working good on my E4200 v1. I left the GTK renewal at the default of 3600 and so far, NO ISSUES, save and except for the first couple of hours of uptime after I had to de-brick after a bad flash on 40167. Currently still using 40065 K3.x mega.
tinkeruntilitworks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
i would get some errors that would accumulate over time. always still "100%" though. never noticable.

i adjusted the beacons to primes and the dtim to 2. i haven't seen any errors since it's been up and running.

for some reason when my phone first connects it sends packets that are errors. then it quickly resolves the issue.

those initial errors are all I've seen. thanks for posting
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
More about which prime numbers to use:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r14241618-Theory-on-Optimizing-a-802-11-Beacon

R7800 x2 kongat WDS AP & Sta R7500V2 kongat WDS STA WNDR3700v4 BS std WDS STA Nanostation M2 AirOS LocoM2 AirOS
Broadcom:
R6200v2 kongac WLAN Repeater Archer C9 v1 OEM WAP
dTX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
DEV's,make this post Sticky please. It's very informative and beneficial to everyone here.I also had no idea about the proper interval numbers.
danielwritesback thanks for posting this !!!!

Navigation

Jump to: