Changed my password, can login through terminal not browser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
nima2019
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 21:46    Post subject: Changed my password, can login through terminal not browser Reply with quote
I changed the admin password to my router to something longer(I think about 31 characters). Now I cannot login to the router admin area using that password. However I can telnet to the router's address using the password.

I changed the password through telnet to something very short (7 characters). Then I could log into the router admin area through browser. I changed the password again to something 24 characters and I can't login through the browser again.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by nima2019 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 0:33; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried setting a 40-char password and am able to login thru the webui, telnet and ssh. I used Firefox browser with build 39956 on a wrt1900acsv2 (I doubt the model matters in this case).
Are you using setuserpasswd to change the password?
Try a different browser and in telnet, check that the the hashed strings of the http_passwd nvram setting and the root account in /etc/passwd are the same.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
nima2019
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was a stupid mistake on my side. I assume the first field in the change password page (in browser) is a field to enter the current password and the 2 more fields are for the new passwords. That was wrong. The first field is for the username. So I was basically changing the username as well as the password.

That's why root username was working for telnet access but I couldn't login through the browser.

Thanks for the help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: