TP-Link Archer A7v5 (US) AC1750

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 21:02    Post subject: TP-Link Archer A7v5 (US) AC1750 Reply with quote
I have been going kind of crazy on this, I'll level with ya.

I'm trying to install DD-WRT onto my router, so that I can send Wake on LAN signals from outside my home network (long story).

Anyway, whenever I try to install the firmware, I get an error saying "Invalid File Type." I've seen a few forum messages saying to install using TFTP, but I install the TFTP agent, and there's no way to enable logs, so I have no idea what's going on!!

I've seriously dug through so many different forum threads and YouTube videos, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I would seriously love your help, if it's available.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
use factory to dd-wrt image first...try to downgrade
to old tp-link stock, firmware it might work, basically
i haven't seen anyone who has this router and claims it
was flashed and working yet....
good luck

p.s. had to re-edit my post my fault, i said there is no DD-WRT support according to the supported devices base, but i saw your firmware in ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:18; edited 1 time in total
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDITED:THE ARCHER A7v5 Device wiki is now active!

Original below:
https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2018%2F12-20-2018-r38060%2Ftplink_archer-a7-v5%2F

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)

Last edited by msoengineer on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43; edited 1 time in total
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
use the factory to dd-wrt build first in my link above. then upgrade to the latest and greatest using the gui the file named: tplink_archer-a7-v5.bin.

How to TFTP:
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500#tftp_recovery_de-bricking

I use this TFTP for windows: https://www.tftpd64.com/
if you have a Mac: http://www.mactechnologies.com/index.php?page=downloads#tftpclient

And their software instructions:
http://www.mactechnologies.com/wordpress/2001/01/general-instructions-for-mactftp-client/

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
use the factory to dd-wrt build first in my link above. then upgrade to the latest and greatest using the gui the file named: tplink_archer-a7-v5.bin.

How to TFTP:
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500#tftp_recovery_de-bricking

I use this TFTP for windows: https://www.tftpd64.com/
if you have a Mac: http://www.mactechnologies.com/index.php?page=downloads#tftpclient

And their software instructions:
http://www.mactechnologies.com/wordpress/2001/01/general-instructions-for-mactftp-client/

Okay, for some UNKNOWN REASON, that build of the factory to dd-wrt file worked. Not the one in the router database, not the one from the most recent beta, just the one you linked. After I went to dd-wrt, I was able to upgrade to the most recent build

So, I got DD-WRT installed, got it updated, but now there's a problem: the wireless is disabled, and I can't find the settings to enable it anywhere. I can access things just fine on my desktop, but the wireless radios for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz are turned off.

How do I get those to turn back on?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you have access to the GUI via a wired connection? Can you get to the wifi settings tab of the GUI? I am guessing some wifi settings are conflicting and so the radio is not broadcasting. Otherwise, they could be disabled by some weird chance, or the router may have a hard switch to turn off wifi...I know my old Wdr3600 had a dedicated on/off switch for wifi.

See my signature below for tips on wifi settings. You won't have all the features on your router, but use my suggestions where direct comparisons apply.

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
I assume you have access to the GUI via a wired connection? Can you get to the wifi settings tab of the GUI? I am guessing some wifi settings are conflicting and so the radio is not broadcasting. Otherwise, they could be disabled by some weird chance, or the router may have a hard switch to turn off wifi...I know my old Wdr3600 had a dedicated on/off switch for wifi.

See my signature below for tips on wifi settings. You won't have all the features on your router, but use my suggestions where direct comparisons apply.

Well, I can't find the wireless settings anywhere in the GUI. I searched for 'SSID' in every tab and sub tab of the GUI, and it didn't exist anywhere in there.

My router has a button labelled 'WPS/WiFi', but I don't know how it works, and whenever I press and hold it, it doesn't do anything.

Any idea what I'm misisng?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're not missing anything...something is up with the firmware and there's no wifi tab...
First thing is first, try a hard reboot by pulling the power plug out and then starting it up again. Sometimes Gremlins don't let everything load when you flash from older builds to a new build without actually removing the power. Never do a 30/30/30 reset on QCA chipsets, that is ill advised and you may cause other bad things to happen.

If that don't work, then try to reset to factory defaults of dd-wrt and once it's back up, see if wifi is back, if not try one more hard reboot.

After the above, if you hard reboot and are still missing the wifi tab, try to "upgrade" to the first files in the link I gave you, but use the TP-link file and not Factory file. (Factory is for 1st flash only). Select the option to reset too. Once that build is back on, see if the wifi tab comes back...

If it's still not there, then it means that linux isn't finding your hardware the right way and that there are other issues. It could be bad hardware, or more likely buggy dd-wrt. You're one of the first people I've seen talk about this particular router on the forums...This router is a clone of the C7v5, with exception to how the flash is laid out.

Hopefully it's just some gremlins that get cleared with a hard reboot and/or reset...

[R7800] resting
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW, Build 37932 was the first build to have support for this router. https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2018%2F12-08-2018-r37932%2Ftplink_archer-a7-v5%2F

BS added commits back around 37929 looking at the SVN on Dec 7th 2018.
https://svn.dd-wrt.com//?from=Feb+28%2C+2019&daysback=90&authors=&ticket=on&changeset=on&wiki=on&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=&update=Update

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
BTW, Build 37932 was the first build to have support for this router. https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2018%2F12-08-2018-r37932%2Ftplink_archer-a7-v5%2F

BS added commits back around 37929 looking at the SVN on Dec 7th 2018.
https://svn.dd-wrt.com//?from=Feb+28%2C+2019&daysback=90&authors=&ticket=on&changeset=on&wiki=on&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=&update=Update

So, I discovered something kind of important: I've been trying to use the firmware for the tplink_archer-c7-v5

The firmware you've been linking me to is for the tplink_archer-a7-v5

So, I went to the latest build of the a7, upgraded to that, and now everything is working fine. Well, mostly fine. The little radio lights on my physical router keep flashing, and idk what that means, but I'm able to successfully edit my SSID, password, and so on.

Really should've double and triple checked which firmware version I was doing, could've saved everyone all this trouble >_<
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
SpookyNoodle wrote:
The little radio lights on my physical router keep flashing, and idk what that means...

That's pretty normal when running DD-WRT on TP-link routers. It's a cosmetic issue and not really a functional one. I believe the blinking indicates there is activity, but it's a known GPIO flaw on TP-link routers and DD-WRT; the stock TP-Link firmware keeps them solid. Either way, I ignore it on my WDR3600. BS isn't likely going to fix it either.

Glad you got it all sorted out.
Post some www.dslreports.com/speedtest results, I'm curious about the performance of the router since it's, nearly always, on sale at Amazon for $56.

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
SpookyNoodle wrote:
The little radio lights on my physical router keep flashing, and idk what that means...

That's pretty normal when running DD-WRT on TP-link routers. It's a cosmetic issue and not really a functional one. I believe the blinking indicates there is activity, but it's a known GPIO flaw on TP-link routers and DD-WRT; the stock TP-Link firmware keeps them solid. Either way, I ignore it on my WDR3600. BS isn't likely going to fix it either.

Glad you got it all sorted out.
Post some www.dslreports.com/speedtest results, I'm curious about the performance of the router since it's, nearly always, on sale at Amazon for $56.

I bought it because I'm getting Fibre soon, and most lists had it as the best router that could handle fibre speeds for less than $150, so it was an easy buy.

I've had a few problems where when I'm connecting through Remote Desktop over the wifi, it'll randomly kick me out, and it never used to do that on the old firmware. Could it be something in the firmware, or i sit likely to be something else?
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
SpookyNoodle wrote:
I bought it because I'm getting Fibre soon, and most lists had it as the best router that could handle fibre speeds for less than $150, so it was an easy buy.

I've had a few problems where when I'm connecting through Remote Desktop over the wifi, it'll randomly kick me out, and it never used to do that on the old firmware. Could it be something in the firmware, or i sit likely to be something else?

If you're using the default Port on the router for Remote Desktop, You're asking to get hacked. I would highly recommend shifting the port forward to another port other than 3389 which remote desktop normally uses.

Also, my best guess is that the A7 is good to about 700-825 mbps WAN to LAN/WIFI and 650-750 Lan to WAN. But, for $50, this router seems like a super value, though flash size is a small 16mb eliminating useful features like SNMP among other things... The closest thing you can compare to is the C7v2 tested here.

...Real life, I wouldn't expect anything better than 500mbps for Wan to Wifi on 5ghz. Plus, there's only a handful of 3x3 clients in the real world, so you're limited there too.

Based on your score, you can tweak your qos settings.
Comcast over provisions their speeds by 20% so take that into consideration vs. your "on-paper" speeds when setting qos. I have 150/10 and you can see my settings in the pic below. My signature has a link to the QOS priorities.

[R7800] resting
SpookyNoodle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
SpookyNoodle wrote:

If you're using the default Port on the router for Remote Desktop, You're asking to get hacked. I would highly recommend shifting the port forward to another port other than 3389 which remote desktop normally uses.

Also, my best guess is that the A7 is good to about 700-825 mbps WAN to LAN/WIFI and 650-750 Lan to WAN. But, for $50, this router seems like a super value, though flash size is a small 16mb eliminating useful features like SNMP among other things... The closest thing you can compare to is the C7v2 tested here.

...Real life, I wouldn't expect anything better than 500mbps for Wan to Wifi on 5ghz. Plus, there's only a handful of 3x3 clients in the real world, so you're limited there too.

Based on your score, you can tweak your qos settings.
Comcast over provisions their speeds by 20% so take that into consideration vs. your "on-paper" speeds when setting qos. I have 150/10 and you can see my settings in the pic below. My signature has a link to the QOS priorities.

Many of those Services Names don't exist in my UI > NAT/QoS > QoS > Services Priority, so I'm not sure how to make my settings match.

Also, do you have any suggestions for how I can better secure my RDP sessions? Right now I've been SSH tunneling using PuTTY, then just connecting to my localhost on a specific port.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
SpookyNoodle wrote:
Many of those Services Names don't exist in my UI > NAT/QoS > QoS > Services Priority, so I'm not sure how to make my settings match.

You need to manually add them by simply copy & pasting.

Enter these in services priority by using the lower "add/edit" button, use the order listed below with priority listed below. It's a three step process:
1-add names & port range. (Separate window pops up) (Use "add" to enter more priorities and then you apply settings).
2-Select all the priority names you just added- Use "add".
3- Then apply the actual priority and apply settings.

***For ip_icmp & ip_icmpv6 (If using IPv6)- it's already in list as nDPI service so you don't have to add the last two***

FTP_PORT -----------> tcp 20-21 -------> express
HTTPS_PORT --------> tcp 443-443 ----> premium
HTTP_ALT_PORTS ---> tcp 8080-8090 --> express
HTTP_PORT ----------> tcp 80-80 -------> express
UDP53+_PORTS -----> udp 53-65535 --> maximum
EDIT 9-3-19- BS has suggested to remove these two and don't use.
ip_icmp ------------------------------------> maximum
ip_icmpv6 ----------------------------------> maximum

SpookyNoodle wrote:
Also, do you have any suggestions for how I can better secure my RDP sessions? Right now I've been SSH tunneling using PuTTY, then just connecting to my localhost on a specific port.

I don't use RDP at all due to hack-ability reasons. I would use a different incoming port to go to 3389, but I have had people ping all the ports on my router and try to gain access even using this method, so I can't comment on best practices for RDP- Use TeamViewer with strong encryption?

[R7800] resting

Last edited by msoengineer on Tue Sep 03, 2019 14:28; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: