R8500- VLAN Setup for Hyper-V Pihole Server

sephddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 20:32    Post subject: R8500- VLAN Setup for Hyper-V Pihole Server Reply with quote
Hey guys! I am trying to setup a scenario where I can use 1 Wire connected to my Server as two different wires.

I am basically running PiHole in Hyper-V through a second NIC which gets routed to the Pihole VM and I'd very much like to eliminate that and have one LAN wire do both. I've tried to use the default switch option in Hyper-V but I then I end up with no DLNA connectivity to my Plex Server ( Non virtualized ) which is running on the same PC.

Basically, my network config looks like this right now

Modem/Router (192.168.0.0/24) which connects to -> DDWRT R8500 (LAN 192.168.1.0/24 - WAN 192.168.0.10) (All my devices are then connected to its 6 Ports)
Server-PC (192.168.1.14) and Server-NIC2 on 192.168.1.11 (External-Without allowing host to manage/share NIC)

I was hoping that there could be a way where I can setup VLAN's which would enable me to assign a VLAN value in the Hyper-V default switch, which in turn would keep the Plex DLNA server up and running as well and give the Pihole server its own interface.

Naturally, the Pihole VLAN has to be then accessible from all the other devices on my network as its gonna be doing the DNS resolution for everyone!
Sponsor
sephddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
FWIW, *I* personally don't support VLANs on dd-wrt. And the reasons are two-fold.

1. VLANs are proprietary, making it a major PITA to deal with in these forums. I have no way to debug a configuration that doesn't work since each implementation can vary. Unless you just got lucky w/ your config, I'd literally have to have your router in-hand to help you.

2) VLANs are only supported on dd-wrt w/ Broadcom switches, and even then, only a subset. Plus, dd-wrt VLANs are port-based, and do not comply w/ the 802.11q standard. If that wasn't enough, the dd-wrt VLAN GUI has never worked correctly in all the years I've been supporting dd-wrt. The only time I've seen VLANs work correctly has been through the CLI.

Of course, others are welcome to chime in and help. I just didn't want to leave the impression that I (and others who feel the same) was just ignoring your problem.

It's always been my recommendation that dd-wrt users get a *real*, fully supported, 802.11q compliant, managed switch, rather than mess w/ the crappy VLAN support on dd-wrt. Doesn't have to be expensive either. There are some very reasonably priced managed switches on the market these days, around $30. At this price level, most are labeled "smart" switches and obviously don't come w/ all the bells and whistles you'd find in more expensive business-class models. But even an inexpensive smart switch is light years ahead of dd-wrt when it comes to VLANs.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-EasySmart-Gigabit-Ethernet-DGS-1100-05/dp/B00AKRTLXA/

JMTC

Thank you for replying Smile The only reason I am not adding additional hardware is because of power usage and space constraints in the first place.

Perhaps someone else has made something like this and can chime in if they have a solution but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath as it seems to be quite difficult to get this working!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
R8500 is a Broadcom. You will get an answer in the Broadcom Forum.
sephddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
R8500 is a Broadcom. You will get an answer in the Broadcom Forum.

Thank you. I will post there and try my luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: