Set Router Login with Telnet After Reset?

thebluebit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 19:36    Post subject: Set Router Login with Telnet After Reset? Reply with quote
I am playing around with connecting to the router via telnet.

Is it possible, after a router reset, to set the username and password of the dd-wrt router settings using a telnet connection?

For instance, if I were to set the initial username / password of the router, I could use telnet 192.168.1.1 and log in using "root" and the set password.

If I try using the same connection right after a router reset, I get "...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed."
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 19:51    Post subject: Re: Set Router Login with Telnet After Reset? Reply with quote
thebluebit wrote:
If I try using the same connection right after a router reset, I get "...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed."
seems they are many many builds for about a year where telnet is NOT actually turned on (even though it will show enabled in 'Services' page) --- It becomes enabled after any 'Apply Settings' button is used after a router reset.
That has been my experience....
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:02    Post subject: Re: Set Router Login with Telnet After Reset? Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
thebluebit wrote:
seems they are many many builds for about a year where telnet is NOT actually turned on (even though it will show enabled in 'Services' page) --- It becomes enabled after any 'Apply Settings' button is used after a router reset.
That has been my experience....

thanks for sharing it mrjcd...
i've found it hard way thought it was a bug ... but yep there is a good reason for it i do agree...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: