DNS issue using multiwan router connected to different DDWRT

Denun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:19    Post subject: DNS issue using multiwan router connected to different DDWRT Reply with quote
first of all let me thank the ones that will help me to solve this problem, for my family it's extremely important (really) because we're working in one of those countries that apply censorship and without vpn we can't really watch anime, movies or play and listen music, not to mention check our home, use the bank accounts and even talking using WhatsApp is forbidden. We're desperate and also language is a huge barrier even when we search and surf the internet.

GOAL: have all home devices interconnected, use local apps as international ones, need to use 2 different VPNs to point to 2 different servers or countries
actually all the devices must be interconnected. There are many devices owned by landlord that i cannot change, let's think the TVs or Doorbells or Air and Water Purifiers and so on but i need to control and use them with my phone or computer

What i did?
well, like in the pictures i just connected all the devices to a multiwan router installed on top of the ISP modem and other 2 different DDWRT routers each one with its own vpn that points a different server/country

ISP Modem= 192.168.0.1 --- WAN3
DDWRT VPN1 = 10.10.11.1 --- WAN2
DDWRT VPN2 = 10.10.12.1 --- WAN1
MULTIWAN Router = 10.10.15.1

Does it work?
so so, sometimes (few) works fine yes, but randomly (often) the devices get confused with DNS. it always works if i shut down everything and start up again in order.
Naturally, all the devices in the house can see each other having all the IPs in the same class (the only thing that works flawlessly)

Can i change DNS on the devices?
it's not an option. Local hardware appliances won't allow me to do that, also to watch streaming contents i need to use DNS of the VPN services that they don't share. So basically any device should be in DHCP mode or must have DNS1 = 10.10.15.1 (multiwan) and DNS2 = DWRTVPNx that need to use

Multiwan Configuration:
i tried 2 different routers with the same results (Tenda and TpLink Omada), both configured with device tunneling by MAC/IP.
local devices to WAN3 (ISP router)
consoles and a bunch of other international appliances to WAN2
Computer and phones to WAN1

DDWRT configuration:
nothing, i just installed Astrill VPN (the only one that works with its own applet. OpenVPN and other protocols will be blocked.
The applet of Astrill VPN allow also tunneling configuration by device/IP

other thought:
basically, i need just 2 wans active and not 3, because Astrill allows me also to do tunneling per device so perhaps one solution will be to use just 1 DDWRT on top of another and that's it.

Any suggestion what i should do?
i can consider doing anything including buying other hardware if needed.

Last edited by Denun on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:29; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Denun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
the scheme
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding DNS what you can try:
On the DDWRT routers you can enable "Forced DNS redirection" this will hijack the DNS query and reroute this to the DDWRT router.
The DDWRT router normally uses the DNS from your VPN provider.

You can do PBR via a DDWRT router but only if you disable NAT of the MultiWAN router otherwise all traffic comes from the IP address of the MultiWan router.
If you do this you have to set a static route on the DDWRT router to route 10.10.15.0/24 via the WAN ip address of the MultiWan router.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: