WRT1900AC - wrong firmware =/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
tdizz33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:27    Post subject: WRT1900AC - wrong firmware =/ Reply with quote
Hello,

Its been a little bit since i've tried to flash DD-WRT on a router..

I have a WRT1900AC v1 and i thought hey lets flash it so i can do some custom stuff on there. So i google... and i get to this page: wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT1900AC

Awesome! Lets click on "Where do I download firmware?"
Where does it take you?
Here: wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Where_do_I_download_firmware.3F

So i said wow lots of links there. Lets use the router database to see what the options are. So i used it and i downloaded firmware from it and guess what happened. My router rebooted and now it just flashes the power light with all other lights turned off.

My fault? 100%!
Was there a Sh*t part? Yep, when you click that link "wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Where_do_I_download_firmware.3F"

It covers up the part that says "DO NOT USE THE ROUTER DATABASE: unless directed in a device wiki."

Thats a pretty handy piece of information to not show someone when directly linking them to where to download firmware.

Maybe someone on here can fix that, might save someone from my issue right now.

Anyways... I've tried many different ways to get back to the "2nd" partition on my WRT1900ACv1.

I did the hard reset people tell you not to do on new devices.
I did the power it off, turn it back on, wait for all lights to come on and then off then when the power light blinks for the first time turn it off and repeat that 3 times leaving the power ON on the 4th power on.

I can't ping. I've set a static ip 192.168.1.10.
I tired to set a static arp entry in windows 10 using netsh. I'm going to assume the mac address sticker on the bottom of the router belongs to lan port 1?

Is there anything else that can be done in its current state. It doesnt seem like it is "frozen" i noticed if i plug in an ethernet cable all the ports light up except the wan port.

Am i not failing over to the 2nd partition correctly? I tried to see if there was a youtube video of someone doing it but doesnt seem so either that or im a bad googler take your pick lol.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess it didn't register to scroll up to the heading "Where do I download firmware?". I guess the page formatting issue needs to be addressed again.

You may have to do serial recovery and start over, worst case:

https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series

I presume you've read the stickies at the top of the forum at least 5 times in entirety.

---------------------------------------------------------

Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 14:43    Post subject: Re: WRT1900AC - wrong firmware =/ Reply with quote
tdizz33 wrote:
Hello,

Its been a little bit since i've tried to flash DD-WRT on a router..

I have a WRT1900AC v1 and i thought hey lets flash it so i can do some custom stuff on there. So i google... and i get to this page: wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT1900AC

Awesome! Lets click on "Where do I download firmware?"
Where does it take you?
Here: wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Where_do_I_download_firmware.3F

So i said wow lots of links there. Lets use the router database to see what the options are. So i used it and i downloaded firmware from it and guess what happened. My router rebooted and now it just flashes the power light with all other lights turned off.

My fault? 100%!
Was there a Sh*t part? Yep, when you click that link "wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Where_do_I_download_firmware.3F"

It covers up the part that says "DO NOT USE THE ROUTER DATABASE: unless directed in a device wiki."

Thats a pretty handy piece of information to not show someone when directly linking them to where to download firmware.

Maybe someone on here can fix that, might save someone from my issue right now.

Anyways... I've tried many different ways to get back to the "2nd" partition on my WRT1900ACv1.

I did the hard reset people tell you not to do on new devices.
I did the power it off, turn it back on, wait for all lights to come on and then off then when the power light blinks for the first time turn it off and repeat that 3 times leaving the power ON on the 4th power on.

I can't ping. I've set a static ip 192.168.1.10.
I tired to set a static arp entry in windows 10 using netsh. I'm going to assume the mac address sticker on the bottom of the router belongs to lan port 1?

Is there anything else that can be done in its current state. It doesnt seem like it is "frozen" i noticed if i plug in an ethernet cable all the ports light up except the wan port.

Am i not failing over to the 2nd partition correctly? I tried to see if there was a youtube video of someone doing it but doesnt seem so either that or im a bad googler take your pick lol.

Thanks in advance.

It is unfortunate that you got into this situation with a flash, but you are not the first.
I have 3 1900 V1's and love them but firmware for them is a tricky situation.
You will notice that I am running very old firmware, but then again I don't need any of the new features available since I use all of them as remote AP's. I have tried a lot of newer releases but get problems with 2.4Ghz connections and random reboots. r31924 is still the most stable I have found.
As for your current problem, I have done this too many times and always altered my vocabulary accordingly. I usually get myself into this mess by accidentally loading a backup as a flash or using a 1200/3200 flash.
Every time I screw up it is always a challenge to get it back to the other partition. I always use the 3 times power off/on to get it back. My worst case was a couple months ago where it took me 4 days of trying to get one back. I like to do power off/on three to five times but even then it is tricky as the timing is critical. I have never had to resort to the serial cable. As best I can described the timing, when the power LED starts to light switch it off and back on at least 3 times. As I said the timing is crucial with the 1900 V1. My 3200's and 1200 V1 are more forgiving and usually recover on the first attempt.
As for current firmware builds go ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/ . From there you can go back to hundreds of options, but as the Gurus point out research the forums for specific builds and there performance.

WRT3200acm r44048 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r44048 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r44048
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

(SPARE)WRT1900AC V1 r44048 On LAN
5Ghz WDS AP Ch149(+6) 80Mghz
2.4Ghz Ch 6 20Mhz N/G Mixed

WRT1200AC V1 r44048 LAN
2.4Ghz 20Mhz Ch 6 Mixed
5 Ghz 80Mhz Ch 149 (UUU+6) WDS AP

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1200 V1 -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1 & 1900V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: