Static IP Hostname for systems with multiple connections?

Krause
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 13:42    Post subject: Static IP Hostname for systems with multiple connections? Reply with quote
I have a desktop with 2 NICs and a Wifi connection and a laptop that has wifi, onboard NIC and a dock that has its own NIC.

What's the best practice for assigning these systems Static IPs? Enter in a different hostname for each connection like "PCName-Eth0", "PCName-WiFi", "PCName-Dock", etc?

Or should the hostname be the same for all devices from the same PC? (conflicts aren't an issue here since this isn't assigning a DNS name to these IP's right?).

I never really thought about it in the past as every system I would add really only used 1 port, but this laptop frequently uses all 3 (usually the wifi and dock nic, occasionally the normal onboard nic).

Thanks!
Sponsor
Krause
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would you recommend setting it up so that all connections from a single machine use 1 hostname/ip?

On my laptop running linux, it shows the wifi as still connected when its using ethernet (windows did the same), is it still connected in a way that would cause issues with the name, or is it just keeping that connection active, yet disabled for fast switching back to it?

I have NFS shares set up on my NAS so it would be a bit easier if I can use a single hostname to allow connections instead of IP, right now using hostname only lets the laptop connect when on wifi since I don't have a static IP assigned, but if I set it by IP I can add the IP for each adapter and it works fine on any connection (i'm not sure the method DDWRT uses for hostname resolution when its not set in the routers static IP table, first to connect?).

If all had the same hostname in the router then I could go back to using a single hostname for each machine per NFS share again without a downside.
Krause
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the case of a laptop that uses wifi then plugs into a dock that uses ethernet, you probably wouldn't want to constantly disable wifi before plugging it in and then enabling it again every unplug. Is there overlap where both are connected simultaneously for a short duration making having the same IP/hostname problematic, or is it safe to use in this situation?

Thanks again!
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Krause,
I understand this is not what you are actually reffering to but just throwing it out there anyways cause you never know what dd-wrt will do with some things Rolling Eyes
On the EA8500 from the GUI I had same hostname, same MAC set for router primary network (br0) and also for its guest net (br1 completely separate networks)
worked very well for couple years but I quit doing that now cause about a year back it was causing a bit of dd-wrt dnsmasq confusion.

This router using newish builds: BS-- dnsmasq version 2.80 / Kong's builds have a slight updated dnsmasq version.
Krause
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the info! And eibgrad i'll try it as soon as I get home!

Assuming the dnsmasq entry with multiple macs giving the same IP/Hostname doesn't work as planned, either its unsupported or there is issues with handing off from wifi to the docks ethernet and I need to make 2 different standard static entries, can the same hostname be used for both? Or do they need to be different?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: