FYI....VINT and V24Final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
llvllonk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a Linksys 54GS v.1 ...should I try the NEWD built instead of VINT? I used redhawks command with this outcome:

size: 22557 bytes (10211 left)
ping_ip=nvram show |grep wl0_corerev
wl0_corerev=7

So, my Corerev is 5 and higher...which means I should use the NEWD built right? What is the best stable NEWD built now for linkssy 54gs v1 (corerev 7)? Thanks for the help and time.
Sponsor
freonchill
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
i thought it was VINT for all v1 G & GS?

from the wiki
Quote:

[note] - the following 4712 units (with corerev<=4) seem to run more stable on the VINT builds
* Linksys WRT54GS v1-2.1

1x WRT54G2 v1
2x BUFFALO WHR-G54S
2x BUFFALO WHR-G300N v2
1x BUFFLOW WHR-HP-G300N
1x La Fonera
FON Client Bridge tutorial
llvllonk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
that's what i thought too...but if you read redhawk's comment on page 10...he pretty much said that's old and best way to know is to check corevev...which I did...and it shows I 7 for mine...

anyway, I just upgraded my Linksys 54GS v1 (corev 7) to the latest NEWD built 11536...seems fine so far...at least it didn't brick Smile
joemaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:58    Post subject: Summary added to wiki Reply with quote
I took a first crack at adding a summary of this information to the wiki: NEWD or VINT

The summary page is linked from @darthboy's section on the wiki's What is DD-WRT page.

Hopefully Google will pick this up and make it easier to find the explanation and relevant commands for determining which version to install.
llvllonk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I updated the top level post of this thread.

This is a very old thread and some of the information regarding NEWD on 4712 processor units no longer applies.

Bottom line - Check your nvram variable for wl0_corerev (corrected)

4 and lower = VINT only
5 and higher = NEWD.

redhawk

As redhawk stated, "bottom link - check your corerev..."

I upgrade my version 1 linksys 54gs with the latest NEWD...it didn't brick (yet)...is it gonna brick long run?
chrisdab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it didnt brick right away, it is not going to brick on you.
Tranthom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 19:21    Post subject: will paid FW version work on a wrt54gs v2.0 ? Reply with quote
Hi.

I'm new to DD-WRT and I have questions regarding
dd-wrt.v24 SP1_mega_special_generic.bin .

I intend to start a small wireless Internet provider and I would like to know if this version will work on a WRT54GS V2.0 (I don't want to pay for it if it don't)

If not, is there a VINT paid version that will be compatible?

thanks
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 19:36    Post subject: Re: will paid FW version work on a wrt54gs v2.0 ? Reply with quote
Tranthom wrote:
Hi.

I'm new to DD-WRT and I have questions regarding
dd-wrt.v24 SP1_mega_special_generic.bin .

I intend to start a small wireless Internet provider and I would like to know if this version will work on a WRT54GS V2.0 (I don't want to pay for it if it don't)

If not, is there a VINT paid version that will be compatible?

thanks

Your unit has a 4712 processor corerev=7.
You can run VINT, NEWD or BS builds without it bricking.

Load on the free build first...if it works...so with the special paid builds.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Redhawk

Which version do you recommend we use for the WRT54G v2 routers with 4712 chips? Although it may be possible to install the newd, in your opinion, will these older routers perform better running on vint. It will be used in WET mode.

Also is 9517 still the most up to date vint 24? Is there a new command code for nvram if running vista?

Sorry for all the Q's
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnib wrote:
Hey Redhawk

Which version do you recommend we use for the WRT54G v2 routers with 4712 chips? Although it may be possible to install the newd, in your opinion, will these older routers perform better running on vint. It will be used in WET mode.

Also is 9517 still the most up to date vint 24? Is there a new command code for nvram if running vista?

Sorry for all the Q's

Run the BS build. It is NEWD (even though it isn't stated in the filename)....it will work just fine.

I tested for quite awhile 2 different V2 units one with VINT and one with NEWD (or BS)....both performed equally well.

VINT builds are up to 12774 located here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FV24_TNG%2Fsvn12774/

or Use BS build 12874 located here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F09-08-09-r12874%2Fbroadcom/

Win2K, WinXP, VISTA, Win7....all use the same files for the router.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 18:27    Post subject: Re: FYI....VINT and V24Final Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
UPDATE 11/08/08 - lets try to eliminate the confusion. This is a very old thread now. Early NEWD builds were rather problematic on some of the 4712 radios and frankly the VINT ran better...however, this has changed....

Any of the newer builds - after SVN10086....run NEWD on any corerev unit of 5 and higher. This includes the WRT54Gv1.1 - V3 units.

DO NOT RUN NEWD ON V1.0 UNITS....run VINT only. If you run NEWD on a V1.0 you WILL brick it.

When in doubt (even on other make/models of early radios)....check the wl0_corerev variable in the nvram. 5 and higher...run NEWD.... - 4 and lower...run VINT.

redhawk

Just to re-emphisize the builds again so there is no confusion.

V24-VINT-final are for the older radio sets with miniPCI cards like the WRT54Gv1 and WAP54Gv1 units....if the V24 Final is used on these radios...it will most likely brick it.

The VINT builds work best on all the older 4710 and 4712 CPU units....for the list check the wiki under Supported Devices.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Supported_Devices

The newer radios with CPU types 4704, 4785, 5354, 5365....MUST run the V24-final....not VINT builds

5352 processors can run either....V24-final recommended.

redhawk

This should be updated in the peacock thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply RB.

I decided to go with the bs build. I have the mini wrt54g bin loaded up & working well.(vin24-sp2 mini)

After a 30/30/30 is there anything left to do before loading up the std generic bin?

Thanks again for your help and everything you do here, it has been much appreciated.

1 last question. Has anyone received a white screen when attempting to access nvram? I just tried to restore back to factory defaults and got the same white screen. When the browser switches to apply.cgi the screen goes blank?

I wasn't going to say anything, but now I would like to know if its something I may have done wrong. Anyways everything else has been preforming great & maybe when I update to std ware this will go away.

If needed the command line entered was show nvram & nvram get wl0_corerev. I was able to access the core rev list you have here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Corerev#Getting_the_Corerev_of_various_models
btr214
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if the webmasters read these threads, but I was just reading through this thread and saw where it was updated to reflect that the NEWD versions are now considered just as stable as VINT on corerev > 5, however, the router database, located http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database, still shows additional information stating the VINT builds are more stable, at least for the WRT54G V3.0.
ahill12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 22:55    Post subject: help Reply with quote
using wrt54gs linksys router. i am trying to setup a wirless connection with my 2nd linksys router. i have tried to download dd-wrt2.4 with no luck. can someone point me in the right direction to find this firmware?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 Display posts from previous:    Page 11 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: