FYI....VINT and V24Final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
rbngan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRT54GS V3 router with stock firmware. I need to install DD-WRT on it and I'm not sure what version to use.

The "Supported Device" page (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28all_the_rest_that_is_not_re-engineered_til_today.29) indicates any version but has a "?" in the notes.

I found the following information about the WRT54GSV3 at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G/GL/GS/GX#WRT54GS
Quote:
[Comment added 05/03/06 by PhoneBoy] On my WRT54GSv3, I found that the device wouldn't take ANY firmware unless I reset it using the button rather than just factory reset from the web interface. Word of warning. I was able to download and install the firmware for the purposes of getting vpn up and running. The firmware installed and everything is as before. however, still no vpn.

That concerns me that VPN may not be working, but on to my real issue.

I know I use the version for Broadcom, but I'm not sure if I should use the Vint or the New version. From this post it appears that it depends on my core value
Quote:
if it is a Corerev=5 or higher you can use the NEWD builds. Corerev=4 (like the 54Gv1.0) MUST use VINT

I've read that I should use a command to get this, but I've not read where or how I enter this command? Remember I have stock firmware.

And once I find out where to enter it which should I use: nvram show wl0_corerev or nvram show | grep wl0_corerev?
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Either command you listed will give you the wl0_corerev number....I can tell you right now it should be corerev=7 for your unit....also nvram get wl0_corerev will also do it.

anyway...use the latest NEWD build on your unit. The newest NEWD builds run very well on all but the Linky V1.0 inits. (will still brick the V1.0)

You enter the commands in the window on the Administration>>Commands tab. Then click Run button ...it should come back and show you results.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:03    Post subject: WRT54GS and Standard Firmware Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Either command you listed will give you the wl0_corerev number....I can tell you right now it should be corerev=7 for your unit....also nvram get wl0_corerev will also do it.

anyway...use the latest NEWD build on your unit. The newest NEWD builds run very well on all but the Linky V1.0 inits. (will still brick the V1.0)

You enter the commands in the window on the Administration>>Commands tab. Then click Run button ...it should come back and show you results.

redhawk

Just as a point of reference I am running a WRT54GS VER 1 corerev=7 with DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) std - build 9526 and it has been rock solid in both routers for months. In fact one of the routers is running at a marina and gets a huge workout. Should I be concerned about future problems?

Thanks
stabbucks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, well i installed the standard mega generic build v24 sp1 on a wrt54gs v1.0 without bricking it so far.
:)

Broadcom BCM4712 chip rev 1
not sure what core rev. or how to get that info.

the new bandwidth graphs are nice:) and qos works better.

will have to wait and see if the wireless stays ok

one strange issue, default power for wireless is 70 instead of 28!

would using WPA + AES slow down the router? i've heard its intensive...
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
nvram get wl0_corerev

any encryption will probably slow the router somewhat. more work for CPU.
constrictor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT54G v2.2 corerev=7 and I am running DD-WRT v24 (05/20/08) std - build 9517M Eko.

I have been reading through this entire thread, but I am still not sure which is the stable, most current firmware for my device. Will one of you friendly guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
stabbucks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
nvram get wl0_corerev

any encryption will probably slow the router somewhat. more work for CPU.

kewl:)
yea it returned 7, so i guess core rev 7.

weird thing, why is bridge mode default in wireless?
antonvp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have WRT54G v2.2 corerev=7
What version would be more stable for this router?

Thnaks,

P.S. I read through whole post and still not sure.

Thanks.

A.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
antonvp wrote:

Thnaks,

Thanks.

A.

NEWD....see this thread for path to latest builds.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39529

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
antonvp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
antonvp wrote:

Thnaks,

Thanks.

A.

Thanks and sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

A.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
antonvp wrote:

Thanks and sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

A.

It's seven pages long! ....I don't think you can hijack a multi-hijacked thread. Good luck.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
antonvp wrote:

Thnaks,

Thanks.

A.

Wait...check the processor as well. I sent you a PM.
If it is a 4710 or a 4712, you might be better with a VINT build. Sorry...should have checked that first....

harijay
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:41    Post subject: Use Eko build latest VINT 10509 Reply with quote
I had recently asked EKo the same question- I have a v2 and v2.1 and v3 WRT54G router and he says use the latest VINT build -latest VINT 10509,

I am attaching the email exchange here for your convenience

Harijay

Subject: Re: firmware version question for new routers Quote message
harijay wrote:
HI Eko,
I have three routers

1)Linksys WRT54G v 2
2)Linksys WRT54G v 3 router
3)Belkin F5d7230-4 v2000

I want to connect all three routers run in repeater bridge mode with WPA-PSK +AES security on all interfaces to an internet-connected Linksys WRT54G v 2 running dd-wrt VINT build 9517 ( Eko) operating with WPA-PSK +AES security

Please can you tell me what version of dd-wrt you would recommend for the Linksys routers (1 and 2) and the Belkin router (no 3) given your considerable experience.

Thanks a tonne in advance
Hari

Hi,
in short:
1) and 2) use latest VINT 10509, (it can run NEWD too)
3) latest Bv2000 build (10305)

Best regards, Eko
physicy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:53    Post subject: Re: FYI....VINT and V24Final Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Just to re-emphisize the builds again so there is no confusion.

V24-VINT-final are for the older radio sets with miniPCI cards like the WRT54Gv1 and WAP54Gv1 units....if the V24 Final is used on these radios...it will most likely brick it.

The VINT builds work best on all the older 4710 and 4712 CPU units....for the list check the wiki under Supported Devices.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Supported_Devices

The newer radios with CPU types 4704, 4785, 5354, 5365....MUST run the V24-final....not VINT builds

5352 processors can run either....V24-final recommended.

redhawk

This is new to me but i have a Linksys WRT54GV2 what from of DD-WRT would i use to make it into a bridge.
Somebody HELP! Confused
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it a G2 or a g v.2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: