VAP for intermediate testing??

dkleehammer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 17:28    Post subject: VAP for intermediate testing?? Reply with quote
Hi all,

I currently run dd-wrt as my DHCP & firewall but working on switching to a pfsense server and switch this dd-wrt to an access point only. I'd like to have my development laptop connect to use pfsense as the DHCP server while I test out the system and get it ready before cutover.

Is it possible to setup a new VAP/Virtual Wireless and have it use pfsense any clients that connect to it. When I was going through Multiple VLANs there was a note that says:
Quote:
Note: DHCP Type must not be set to "DHCP Forwarder," this type is often mistakenly used when it is not appropriate. If DHCP is disabled on your main LAN in Basic Setup because it is a WAP that connects LAN-LAN to an existing network instead of using the WAN port or DHCP is disabled for any other reason, then the Multiple DHCP method above will not work and instead you will need to use the Command Method for DHCP.

It sounds like it's not an option (or I don't understand it, still kind of new to advanced routing)... is it possible to do what I'm attempting?

So basically (for clarification)

regular clients -> wlan0/br0 -> dd-wrt (DHCP+DNS 10.0.0.1)
dev laptop -> wlan0.1/br1 -> pfsense (DHCP+DNS 172.16.1.0)[url][/url]

Edit: forgot to mention that my dd-wrt is running on R7000 using kong.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is PFsense connected to the br1 sub-net?

A forwarder is used when the DHCP server is not connected to sub-net and can receive broadcasts. The DHCP server forwared to must have a scope for all sub-nets it's going to serve.
dkleehammer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Is PFsense connected to the br1 sub-net?

A forwarder is used when the DHCP server is not connected to sub-net and can receive broadcasts. The DHCP server forwared to must have a scope for all sub-nets it's going to serve.

Oh right, I guess I need to put a port bridged to br1? Network screen I believe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: