IPTV with OpenVPN

Goto page 1, 2  Next
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 18:46    Post subject: IPTV with OpenVPN Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

If I use IPTV without OpenVPN it works, when I enable and configure OpenVPN the IPTV won't work with it. What could be causing the IPTV to not work on OpenVPN?

J
Sponsor
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Might help if we knew how IPTV was configured on the primary router. But putting that aside for the moment, it's likely the OpenVPN client is redirecting *all* your traffic (including the replies from the devices using IPTV) back over the VPN, when in fact your IPTV devices should be routed back over the WAN.

I would try using policy based routing. Any source IPs listed in that field of the OpenVPN client GUI will use the VPN. All others devices will continue using the WAN. IOW, do NOT place the local IP of your IPTV devices in that field.

I want the IPTV to go over the VPN. I know the internet is working over the VPN as I have a client connected via wireless and it works perfect.
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
jbrines wrote:
I want the IPTV to go over the VPN. I know the internet is working over the VPN as I have a client connected via wireless and it works perfect.

But your IPTV is being delivered over the WAN! And due to the requirements of the router's firewall (specifically, reverse path filtering), all traffic for a given connection *must* use the same network interface both inbound and outbound.

IOW, if somehow that IPTV traffic was being delivered inbound via the VPN, then having the replies sent back over the VPN would work. But that's never going to happen. Your ISP is delivering that content over the WAN, and so the replies *must* be delivered back over that same network interface.

That's why I'm suggesting you use PBR (policy based routing) to force all IPTV traffic back over the WAN. You have no other option.

OK I understand where you are coming from. Might be better if I explain my layout. I have a VirginMedia router that is not DD-WRT and I am connecting a Buffalo WZR-1750DHP that has the latest DD-WRT. I have my IPTV box connected to the Buffalo and works fine when VPN is off.

I will try the PBR and report back, any tips on setting up the PBR.
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
jbrines wrote:
eibgrad wrote:
jbrines wrote:

But your IPTV is being delivered over the WAN! And due to the requirements of the router's firewall (specifically, reverse path filtering), all traffic for a given connection *must* use the same network interface both inbound and outbound.

IOW, if somehow that IPTV traffic was being delivered inbound via the VPN, then having the replies sent back over the VPN would work. But that's never going to happen. Your ISP is delivering that content over the WAN, and so the replies *must* be delivered back over that same network interface.

That's why I'm suggesting you use PBR (policy based routing) to force all IPTV traffic back over the WAN. You have no other option.

OK I understand where you are coming from. Might be better if I explain my layout. I have a VirginMedia router that is not DD-WRT and I am connecting a Buffalo WZR-1750DHP that has the latest DD-WRT. I have my IPTV box connected to the Buffalo and works fine when VPN is off.

I will try the PBR and report back, any tips on setting up the PBR.

Added in a PBR, rebooted and still not working.
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Is 192.168.1.136/32 supposed to be the IPTV device? Remember, anything specified in the PBR field *uses* the VPN. So you do NOT want the IPTV device in that field.

I want the IPTV to use the VPN bud
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
I realize that you *want* it to work w/ the VPN, but what I'm telling you is it won't work. Any IPTV devices must be *excluded* from the VPN. And you can do that by making sure that all the devices you want to use the VPN are specified in the PBR field, except the IPTV devices.

Hi bud thanks for the info, why won't it work on the VPN? Is there anything I can do to get it working?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
jbrines wrote:
Hi bud thanks for the info, why won't it work on the VPN? ....

eibgrad wrote:
Your ISP is delivering that content over the WAN, and so the replies *must* be delivered back over that same network interface.
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
jbrines wrote:
Hi bud thanks for the info, why won't it work on the VPN? ....

eibgrad wrote:
Your ISP is delivering that content over the WAN, and so the replies *must* be delivered back over that same network interface.

So if I make my ISP router a modem instead of a router and use my Buffalo as the router would it work?
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
jbrines wrote:
So if I make my ISP router a modem instead of a router and use my Buffalo as the router would it work?

That's probably not going to be as easy as it sounds. As I said before, most IPTV-capable modem+router devices from the ISP use VLAN tagging to separate IPTV traffic from normal internet traffic. Typically, the ISP provided router creates a one-port VLAN dedicated to supporting IPTV, and routes the IPTV tagged packets to that port. You would probably have to do the same thing w/ the dd-wrt router to make it all work. So that in itself may be a stumbling block.

But let's just assume for the moment you got it working. It's still NOT going to work if the VPN is active and you don't exclude the IPTV device(s) using PBR.

This is the point you're not getting. IPTV *must* use the WAN for all inbound and outbound traffic. But once a device on your LAN is configured to use the VPN, then ***all*** the traffic for that device will use the VPN. And so it breaks IPTV. The VPN interferes w/ the IPTV traffic's ability to use the WAN exclusively UNLESS you exclude it from the VPN using PBR.

Hi bud thanks for the help/info. I know people who use a Firestick with VPN and IPTV and that works is that just their luck?
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 0:34    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote
@eibgrad
I agree.

Here is the issue I deal with, with iptv users.

Their IPTV services will swear to them that their iptv will work with VPN services.

Almost none of them do. Period.

I have had success with IPVanish using IPTV services over Kodi / Amazon Firestick Mods.

But almost every other VPN Provider there is a issue.

So the real question is WHAT VPN SERVICE PROVIDER is this guy using.

I can almost guarantee it is a bad one.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
By Firestick, I assume you mean the Amazon Fire TV Stick.

Remember, throughout this discussion, I'm assuming what *you* mean by IPTV is content that is delivered to you by your ISP over the WAN. And it requires his modem+router to deliver it via a specific IPTV port.

The Amazon Fire TV Stick is NOT the same as IPTV. That's a device that connects to your TV so you can stream content from the internet. Provided Amazon doesn't object, there's no problem streaming that content over a VPN (note, some services that may be supported on that device (e.g., Netflix) may object and won't work over a VPN).

IOW, we're talking about different things here when it comes to IPTV vs. things like the Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, Apple TV, and numerous other streaming devices. All these streaming devices work independently of the WAN. Most of the time they don't care if you use the WAN or a VPN. But IPTV provided by your ISP is tightly bound to the WAN.

OK. No the IPTV is not provided by my ISP it is by another service. So it should be working but it isn't. Any ideas as to why?
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 13:13    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
@eibgrad
I agree.

Here is the issue I deal with, with iptv users.

Their IPTV services will swear to them that their iptv will work with VPN services.

Almost none of them do. Period.

I have had success with IPVanish using IPTV services over Kodi / Amazon Firestick Mods.

But almost every other VPN Provider there is a issue.

So the real question is WHAT VPN SERVICE PROVIDER is this guy using.

I can almost guarantee it is a bad one.

I am using Slick VPN
jbrines
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad and sploit, sorry guys for not explaining everything properly. I really appreciate the help and information you are giving me.
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 16:33    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote
@jbrines

Ok, having slick vpn installed on the router, does it route out correctly on openvpn?

Meaning, do you have internet access using the vpn router?

If you have basic internet access through slickvpn but no iptv service it means it it slickvpn.

If you pay for a trial on ipvanish (or ask them for a 1 day trial) they may allow it.

Then set it up and test.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 17:25    Post subject: Re: Ok Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
@jbrines

Ok, having slick vpn installed on the router, does it route out correctly on openvpn?

Meaning, do you have internet access using the vpn router?

If you have basic internet access through slickvpn but no iptv service it means it it slickvpn.

If you pay for a trial on ipvanish (or ask them for a 1 day trial) they may allow it.

Then set it up and test.

I get basic internet access over VPN so need to try IPVanish, I will also contact SlickVPN support.

I will report back once I have tested IPVanish
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: