Secondary router for VPN - wired connection.

abssorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 15:09    Post subject: Secondary router for VPN - wired connection. Reply with quote
I have 4G / LTE broadband as a primary router. I'm setting up a secondary router with DD-WRT build r37305.

They are connected via ethernet.

My goal is to set up OpenVPN on the secondary router, but for now I'm struggling to get any internet via the secondary router.

Primary router (non dd-wrt) is on LAN 192.168.8.0
secondary router (dd-wrt) is on LAN 192.168.10.0

I've followed a number of guides, inc this one:
https://www.vpnuniversity.com/routers/setup-two-routers-with-dedicated-vpn-router

They suggest it's very simple.

The routers can see each other no problem, but clients connected to the secondary can't get any internet.

The secondary is set:
WAN Connection type: Auto DHCP (also tried disabled and static)
Operating mode: Router (also tried gateway)
DHCP on 192.168.10.x - working OK.

I've tried variations on DNS and gateway. I've disabled the firewall on the secondary.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reset the secondary ddwrt router to defaults with the reset button or with the GUI.

Connect the LAN cable from the primary router to the WAN port of the secondary DDWRT router.

That is all (assuming your primary routers LAN is 192.168.8.0 , i.e. is anything else then 192.168.1.0)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
abssorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks egc. That is exactly how I have it connected and I've tried resetting to defaults, but it's still a problem.

This is reassuring:
egc wrote:

That is all

I was wondering if any new default might have been introduced after those guides were made, and it's helpful to have a fresh reassurance.

I'll try re-flashing.
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 0:10    Post subject: OpenVPN Reply with quote
First, what is the type of router you are using for the VPN Router

Also, did you already get openvpn connected on the vpn router?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDIT:

This is very strange. This post did say it was working, but there's a very odd problem.

I did a fresh factory reset and the problem remained.
I spend about an hour playing with resets.

I started going back to basics, swapping out LAN cables, trying other PCs. And it's started working. Nothing I've done should have actually made a difference, and I've put everything back as it was and it continued working.

I know it shouldn't be this but having other LAN ports in operation on the secondary seems to have made it work. At first I couldn't replicate the fault. I put everything back as it was but it continued working.

After about 20 mins though the fault returned. So I reconnected other PC via LAN port and it instantly started working again.

At least, that's what seems to be happening. But I'm hoping it's a co-incidence. Do strange things like this happen on dd-wrt?

For completeness, to answer your questions re fault condition:
---------
The secondary router is a Trendnet TEW-818DRU_v1 (broadcom)
No attempt made to openvpn as yet.

In terms of "seeing" each other I mean that they get a positive ping from router interface to the other router.

Also I could run a ping command from the secondary (using admin / commands / run commands) to internet (e.g. 8.8.8.8 ) and it had a positive result.

However, nothing connected to the secondary LAN could reach the internet, they could connect to the GUI of the secondary router, but not the primary.
abssorb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've reflashed the same build r37305.
Did factory reset, and 30-30-30 before and after.

Fault not present, and seems to be stable so far.

Also added OpenVPN settings using NordVPN as per
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/dd-wrt/openvpn-gui/

And VPN worked immediately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: