openvpn tls-crypt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
lesteringber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 17:21    Post subject: openvpn tls-crypt? Reply with quote
Since ovpn-2.4 it is possible to use tls-crypt instead of tls-auth. My ovpn server can use this, but it seems that the dd-wrt gui ovpn setup cannot, e.g., not in v3.0-r31980M kongac. I tried adding this as in the VPN -> Additional Config window, but it failed to start.

tls-crypt or tlscrypt does not show up under any searches in this forum. Does anyone know of any plans to implement this?
Sponsor
Pibell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi @lesteringber.

So, were you able to use tls-crypt even if it wasn't via UI?

Greetings.
zip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R7000
dd-wrt 36154

Linux 4.4.137 #3284 SMP Sat Jun 16 12:11:20 CEST 2018 armv7l

I know this thread is old, but I had been researching this and got it to work today.

Using another thread about openvpn dealing with another aspect, I got an idea which I tried.

Since the gui for dd-wrt openvpn does not have an area to paste tls-crypt and only has the old tls-auth area, I took the static key info out of tls-auth.

I put it in the additional configuration area in between <tls-crypt> and </tls-crypt>. I did NOT put a file name. I pasted the actual key info in between.

After saving and applying, I tried to connect after modifying my openvpn client (Windows 10) and changing tls-auth to tls-crypt.

I connected successfully and the client log showed that the control channel was being encrypted with AES-256-CTR. Note the encryption for the connection once established is still AES-256-GCM as I had specified.

I then tried it with my OpenVPN ios app (ios 11.4.1) which uses an inline file. In that file I changed tls-auth to tls-crypt.

That works also. However, I saw no indication in the log regarding the encrypted control channel.

To double check, I used the old client configs for both the pc and the iphone which were using tls-auth.

They did not work as was expected so I know that it is working for both (regardless of lack of logging in ios).

Long story short, I removed the info from tls-auth in dd-wrt placing it in additional config and then modified the client configs to use tls-crypt instead of tls-auth and it works.

I also went ahead and regenerated a new static key file in openvpn on the pc for both it and ios to use since the tls-auth file has more exposure.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
zip wrote:

I put it in the additional configuration area in between <tls-crypt> and </tls-crypt>. I did NOT put a file name. I pasted the actual key info in between.

Thank you! This solved my problem. I had my ta.key file pasted in "TLS Auth." This is not the correct place to put it. If you are using tls-crypt, it must be pasted in Additional Config between <tls-crypt> and </tls-crypt>. For example:

Code:
<tls-crypt>
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----
41a2fc4fbd0cb890d40ddf704defac6a
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
</tls-crypt>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: