Set multiple vpn servers in openvpn client setup

laloo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 0:47    Post subject: Set multiple vpn servers in openvpn client setup Reply with quote
I currently have openvpn client setup on my R8000 flashed with dd-wrt which is working fine but randomly my vpn provider puts the server in maintenance so I lose the connection to vpn. Is there a way to provide multiple server locations into openvpn client setup page?

thank you in advance
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac86u-expressvpn-disconnecting.67854/post-634894

Same solution, only the relevant input field for dd-wrt is Additional Config.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
laloo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac86u-expressvpn-disconnecting.67854/post-634894

Same solution, only the relevant input field for dd-wrt is Additional Config.

thanks for quick reply. that worked. one additional question.

my primary server is listed under server name(MI). I added list of 5 servers (AT,DE etc...) to the additional configuration under openvpn client setup page. upon save/apply, it connected one of the server from additional configuration and not the primary server (MI).

My question is that is it possible to give first preference to my primary server(MI)?

thank you in advance.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you specify the remote-random directive, no, you can't create a default, then have it randomly try all others. The only other option is to NOT use remote-random, in which case it will process them in-order (sequentially). In that case, it makes sense to specify your preferred server in the GUI's Server IP/Name field, then list all the others in Additional Config (you can arrange the rest randomly or in preferred order as well).
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
laloo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
If you specify the remote-random directive, no, you can't create a default, then have it randomly try all others. The only other option is to NOT use remote-random, in which case it will process them in-order (sequentially). In that case, it makes sense to specify your preferred server in the GUI's Server IP/Name field, then list all the others in Additional Config (you can arrange the rest randomly or in preferred order as well).

Exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much for your help. You are the best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: