WRT32X status of latest available firmware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Skoda Zek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 22:32    Post subject: WRT32X status of latest available firmware. Reply with quote
Hey folks,

Been a while since I last posted. I am still running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r37012 std [09/21/18]

I have not upgraded since it seems to function for all my needs.

I run expressvpn through the openvpn client and I use policy based routing to provide an ip range that functions outside the vpn which I can assign to static devices based on MAC address.

I also use Administration Commands shell to set iptables and specify specific dns servers for specific dhcp clients based on static ip addresses. (Express VPN MediaStreamer DNS for clients that are not behind the vpn which unblocks regional restrictions on streaming content).

37012 was the first available build for WRT32X that allowed all of the above to function, though the performance of the build leaves a little to be desired especially with the 5GHZ Wifi band. I have been reluctant to upgrade for fear of this finally working setup that I have will break.

I would like to get some informed opinions on the current state, functionality, and performance of the latest versions available for the WRT32X.

Thanks so much in advance.

Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:23    Post subject: Re: WRT32X status of latest available firmware. Reply with quote
Skoda Zek wrote:
Hey folks,

Been a while since I last posted. I am still running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r37012 std [09/21/18]

I run expressvpn through the openvpn client and I use policy based routing to provide an ip range that functions outside the vpn which I can assign to static devices based on MAC address.

I also use Administration Commands shell to set iptables and specify specific dns servers for specific dhcp clients based on static ip addresses. (Express VPN MediaStreamer DNS for clients that are not behind the vpn which unblocks regional restrictions on streaming content).

37012 was the first available build for WRT32X that allowed all of the above to function, though the performance of the build leaves a little to be desired especially with the 5GHZ Wifi band. I have been reluctant to upgrade for fear of this finally working setup that I have will break.

I would like to get some informed opinions on the current state, functionality, and performance of the latest versions available for the WRT32X.

I have not experienced any issues running ANY of the January 2019 builds on my WRT32X. However, I do not run ExpressVPN or PBR. Performance for me on both wired and wireless connections is excellent and stable.

Unless you have a load of Apple devices, which seem to be troublesome for many flavours (and builds) of DD-WRT, then I cannot see any reason for not upgrading from the old build that you are on.

If you still have a LinkSys partition available, then you could boot to that and then re-install DD-WRT from scratch as this would leave you an easy back-out route.

If not, then just use WebFlash from within DD-WRT GUI, as it will only update the "alternative" partition, so you can still go back to the previous build very easily via the triple power toggle method.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/

Last edited by Yemble on Wed Feb 20, 2019 16:24; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Backup your configuration and keep a copy of r37012 on hand. The Sticky for WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure explains both methods to upgrade: the first one uses your inactive partition as testing grounds and the second keeps your stock firmware partition (if you still have one) overwriting your r37012.

Jumping four months ahead may require a reconfiguration from scratch. The further your jump is between builds, the higher the chance that something has changed with how DD-WRT stores some of its settings. If you aren't experiencing problems you are probably okay, but sometimes people think a build is bad when really all they need is to restore to factory defaults (either from web interface or the reset button).

That being said, the Wi-Fi driver has gone through a lot of changes since September (though came to a halt after December) as this potentially has the greatest impact on performance and stability whether good or bad. It has its own set of issues.

If you follow the Bugtracker SVN Timeline a lot of progress is being made with DD-WRT and the last couple of weeks are certainly no exception, all thanks to the Slayer of Brain. You can follow Open Tickets too.

I would personally wait for feedback from the next series of builds in the coming weeks. Here is feedback from the "New Build" threads for each from this year so far.

01-02-2019-r38159

01-08-2019-r38240

01-10-2019-r38253

01-18-2019-r38326

01-21-2019-r38347

01-24-2019-r38381

01-29-2019-r38507

01-31-2019-r38535

02-04-2019-r38570

02-06-2019-r38581

02-19-2019-r38840

02-23-2019-r38937

03-02-2019-r39031

03-05-2019-r39081
Akv123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58    Post subject: Re: WRT32X status of latest available firmware. Reply with quote
are all three tribands working?

Skoda Zek wrote:
Hey folks,

Solarstar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 0:35    Post subject: Re: WRT32X status of latest available firmware. Reply with quote
I have been trying for a while to find a version that wireless WPA2 actually works with Android phones. After multiple versions starting with the latest as of(11-21-2019). I went back to version 01-02-2019-r38159 and finally after hours of wasted attempts I can get an Android phone to connect and stay connected. Previously the devices would connect and drop within 5 seconds and do that in a endless loop. I am pretty frustrated. I forgot to change boot partitions and overwrote the darn Venom OEM firmware. It's to bad there isn't a way to load WRT3200ACM image without the USB to TTL. I probably need to purchase the USB adaptor and just get this hunk of junk working. It would be good to have reports of a stable version for Wireless 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz, and NAS options working.

And so it begins ...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, sh*t. Build threads are posted, people report. Maybe they don't report valuable information like they should, I dunno. I was trying to get the other platforms to follow the format in the Broadcom forum, but it just seems like folks thumbed their nose at me, so needless to say, not my fault, really not my problem since I decided to go with OpenWRT on my WRT3200ACM after de-bricking it. I guess there must be some secret handshake to know how to make DD-WRT not have problems on Marvell, I dunno.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Solarstar wrote:
Previously the devices would connect and drop within 5 seconds and do that in a endless loop. I am pretty frustrated. I forgot to change boot partitions and overwrote the darn Venom OEM firmware. It's to bad there isn't a way to load WRT3200ACM image without the USB to TTL. I probably need to purchase the USB adaptor and just get this hunk of junk working. It would be good to have reports of a stable version for Wireless 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz, and NAS options working.

The loop is a symptom of the poorly maintained (and now abandoned) mwlwifi driver from Marvell which affects some devices.

I don't know all builds you tried but r38159, r39144 or r40009 are known stable older builds. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/

Configuration is key to bypass the looping problem; some have by disabling WMM (effectively disabling 802.11n) or by running 802.11g only for example. Others have created a VAP to isolate the affected devices and do such targeted things as these.

A common mistake is enabling the third radio (ath2) and trying to use it as an access point. It was never intended for that, only to receive DFS radar detection. Disable it.

I wouldn't bother with trying to go back to stock firmware, though it is possible to go back using a converted flat image for serial flash (there is a risky command line method as well).

WRT3200ACM stock firmware isn't any better in my opinion and it's not a simple serial flash procedure either as you will be modifying u-boot environment strings at the very least. It's not worth it.

ADAFRUIT Industries 954 serial cable (don't use red 5V) and 2.54mm to 2.0mm pitch adapter (not required but may be easier).

Honestly you should be fine using the current build, though right now we are trying to tackle a loss of httpd web interface access which is easily restarted without having to reboot the router or lose internet access.

I am curious on r38159 what settings made your Android phone happy?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Well, sh*t. Build threads are posted, people report. Maybe they don't report valuable information like they should, I dunno. I was trying to get the other platforms to follow the format in the Broadcom forum, but it just seems like folks thumbed their nose at me, so needless to say, not my fault, really not my problem since I decided to go with OpenWRT on my WRT3200ACM after de-bricking it. I guess there must be some secret handshake to know how to make DD-WRT not have problems on Marvell, I dunno.

I find this post informative and enlightening, very helpful.
Solarstar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 - Well that sucks and I am not placing blame just reporting whats up. I appreciate the work being done here. I do blame LinkSYS for releasing the horrid WRT32X Venom GUI and blame myself for trying to save $50. I should and probably will purchase a WRT-3200ACM or go back to my beloved WRT-1900AC that thing was a rock until lightning jacking it.

blkt - Thank you for all the info, love your profile pic! The wireless radios show off in the GUI but head down stairs and the blue LED shows radios on, the GUI is super slow and flakey too, it is way better on r4xxxx builds. I will try r40009 as you have suggested.

I tried so many setting changes I was losing track at this point, it shouldn't be this difficult to get Wireless G and or N working.

I have spent many an hours combing through these forums and did become aware that ath2 being on is a waste of time and causes problems, it is off.

Also thank you for the words of wisdom on not trying to USB to TTL to WRT3200ACM firmware and possibly cause myself more real issues.

I possibly spoke to soon on r38159. Nows its back to endless loop dropping. Had 1 solid night of it working. Maybe it was a fluke.

blkt wrote:
Solarstar wrote:
Previously the devices would connect and drop within 5 seconds and do that in a endless loop. I am pretty frustrated. I forgot to change boot partitions and overwrote the darn Venom OEM firmware. It's to bad there isn't a way to load WRT3200ACM image without the USB to TTL. I probably need to purchase the USB adaptor and just get this hunk of junk working. It would be good to have reports of a stable version for Wireless 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz, and NAS options working.

The loop is a symptom of the poorly maintained (and now abandoned) mwlwifi driver from Marvell which affects some devices.

I don't know all builds you tried but r38159, r39144 or r40009 are known stable older builds. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/

Configuration is key to bypass the looping problem; some have by disabling WMM (effectively disabling 802.11n) or by running 802.11g only for example. Others have created a VAP to isolate the affected devices and do such targeted things as these.

A common mistake is enabling the third radio (ath2) and trying to use it as an access point. It was never intended for that, only to receive DFS radar detection. Disable it.

I wouldn't bother with trying to go back to stock firmware, though it is possible to go back using a converted flat image for serial flash (there is a risky command line method as well).

WRT3200ACM stock firmware isn't any better in my opinion and it's not a simple serial flash procedure either as you will be modifying u-boot environment strings at the very least. It's not worth it.

ADAFRUIT Industries 954 serial cable (don't use red 5V) and 2.54mm to 2.0mm pitch adapter (not required but may be easier).

Honestly you should be fine using the current build, though right now we are trying to tackle a loss of httpd web interface access which is easily restarted without having to reboot the router or lose internet access.

I am curious on r38159 what settings made your Android phone happy?

kernel-panic69 wrote:

I find this post informative and enlightening, very helpful.
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
regarding the wrt32x to wrt3200acm conversion process:
(
first documented at:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/linksys-wrt32x-openwrt-based-firmware-wrt3200acm-crossflash/6730
)

i have done this bidirectionally many times. certainly the stock firmware for wrt32x and wrt3200acm have very different gui and relative feature advantages.
once you are off stock firmware, the differences are less dramatic. the wrt3200acm uboot looks for a different mtd map and firmware image type than the wrt32x, which confused both openwrt and ddwrt processes for a while, but now both are mature enough so that i dont think it makes much difference which device 'flavor' you choose (by u-boot parameters)

personally, i think the wrt32x/wrt3200 hardware is excellent. the routing performance is basically unsurpassed, and usually wifi is very good. i have not found problems with 20-30 clients and 2-4 simultaneous 5-10 mbs video streams with a properly configured basic sqm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: