Need help with wireless to wired bridge (possible?)

Shaunmbb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:02    Post subject: Need help with wireless to wired bridge (possible?) Reply with quote
Hello. I am attempting to connect a Linksys e2500 router with my wifi hotspot to allow hardwired devices to connect to my hotspot. It's going to be used to troubleshoot internet connected alarm panels to prove to customers that their network and/or firewall is the issue. Can anyone help me with the settings? I have a basic understanding of networking, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to set something like this up. Thanks.
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is this ' my wifi hotspot ' ????
Shaunmbb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
What is this ' my wifi hotspot ' ????

My work phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note. I can use that as a wifi hotspot allowing other devices to connect wirelessly. I am trying to bridge my hotspot to a e2500 wireless router which would allow me to connect hardwired devices, an alarm panel in this case, to an otherwise wireless only network.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be best to connect the E2500 to the hotspot in 'Client Mode' if you only want wired connections to it or 'Repeater Mode' if you also want wireless & wired connections to it.
Either mode will have its clients on a different subnet than what the E2500 is bridged to but that shouldn't be a problem.
See ---> https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
Believe me the two modes I mentioned would be best since you cannot use WSD mode to your phone.

Assuming you already have DD-WRT on the E2500 I would use this DD-WRT build on it ---
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-35531_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin
Shaunmbb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
It would be best to connect the E2500 to the hotspot in 'Client Mode' if you only want wired connections to it or 'Repeater Mode' if you also want wireless & wired connections to it.
Either mode will have its clients on a different subnet than what the E2500 is bridged to but that shouldn't be a problem.
See ---> https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
Believe me the two modes I mentioned would be best since you cannot use WSD mode to your phone.

Assuming you already have DD-WRT on the E2500 I would use this DD-WRT build on it ---
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/03-26-2018-r35531/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-35531_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin

I greatly appreciate the help. I was able to get the firmware you suggested installed after several attempts. However, I am still unable to get the e2500 to join my phones hotspot. I am used to the typical way of connecting to a hotspot where it shows you a list of available networks. I am not sure how to get the 2 connected. The wiki doesn't seem to spell out how to accomplish this and my networking knowledge is admittedly limited. Do you know of a step-by-step guide that explains the process?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried 'Site Survey' at bottom of page .../Status_Wireless.asp

Or what I do is just type in the hotspots correct info 'Wireless Network Name (SSID)' in .../Wireless_Basic.asp
and have the correct security set in .../WL_WPATable.asp
Shaunmbb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Have you tried 'Site Survey' at bottom of page .../Status_Wireless.asp

Or what I do is just type in the hotspots correct info 'Wireless Network Name (SSID)' in .../Wireless_Basic.asp
and have the correct security set in .../WL_WPATable.asp

Thanks for the response. I am supposedly able to connect to the hotspot. It shows connected in the router status, but not under the connected devices on my hotspot. I know that's getting into phone specific details, but do you have any ideas? If the router says it's connected, it should be listed as a connected device and provide internet access.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know but if you only have one wired client to connect to the E2500 you can try 'Client Bridge' mode.
The router IP must be set on same subnet as the hotspot. Everything on same subnet.
That should work but it is not a transparent bridge...MAC addys will not carry thru so many apps or other clients connected to the router will all have same MAC address ...that can be problem

Maybe someone else that may know exactly what you are doing can help further ---
good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: