Google Stream Devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
nettechhobbyist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 20:42    Post subject: Google Stream Devices Reply with quote
I've read that the 3200s have had issues with chromecast and google home devices, but haven't seen any recent posts about them.
They'll connect and have a constant uptime on the Wireless Clients status, however they'll respond saying no network connection after a random amount of time (able to ping devices just fine). It usually happens when they have been unused for sometime (I'm assuming they fall into a "sleep" mode).
Tomorrow I will be running tests on my 2.4GHz network selecting specific channels to test these issues, but so far have only gotten them to stay properly running on my 5GHz 80MHz network the longest.

I have the filter Multicast deselected, IGMP snooping on, all my adapters bridged.

Also... another weird note,the signal for both devices show 0 all the time, which I assume is an error? The chromecast will randomly jump to -43 every few minutes when I sit and just observe but the Home Mini stays at 0.

Chromecast being about 25 ft away through the floor and Home Mini being about 15ft away through the floor.

Let me know what I'm being stubborn or dimwitted about please. Google Support is little to no help, resolving the issues by saying it must be my ISP.

DHCP Server
ath0 - 5GHz - Mixed 80MHz - Channel 149 + UU
ath1 - 2.4GHz TurboQAM - Mixed Wide 40 - Channel 1 + U
ath2 - 5GHz - Mixed 80MHz -Channel 36 + UU
Sponsor
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suggest to take one of the 5ghz radios, change the SSID, set it to 'N' specs as much as possible, and then try that with the google devices. Basically, try to make a simulated E3000, which the google devices adore. After that, you could engage advanced features one at a time until failure point, thus identifying the incompatible feature.

P.S.
I do have these IOT's at my place, and couldn't manage with the AP and Router in the same box, because the settings always conflicted for a never-right situation. However, after separating the wifi from the router, everything began to work.
It is nice to have the fast router. And, it is nice to have the compatible wifi. At my place these two features have never arrived in the same box.

E3000 5ghz multicast AP DD-WRT 33525 K2.6
WRT54GSv2 long range AP HyperWRT 15
2 WR841Nv9 DD-WRT 33006 AP
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 15:46    Post subject: Re: Google Stream Devices Reply with quote
nettechhobbyist wrote:
I've read that the 3200s have had issues with chromecast and google home devices, but haven't seen any recent posts about them.

I'm running 1 google home with 2 mini's, and one chromcecast (3200ACM router). My experience is that if I run any wireless in any wireless mode other than 20MHz narrow mixed (or under), I have constant connection issues including google home stating "I can't connect to your network" message. Therefor, I run "mixed 20MHZ" mode on all my wireless, and this seems to resolve the issue. Note, however, the wireless activity in my area is enormously crowded, including a close proximity to an international airport radar activity.

I have NEVER been able to get any 40MHz or wider network connections to be dependable EVER, so I simply except the fact that I have to use narrower modes only. Also note that this problem is not limited to dd-wrt firmware. Doesn't seem to matter what firmware I use, including mfg original.

Not sure if that helps you, but figured any information is useful to some extent.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good hints there! Thanks.

Yes, the google max and insigia speakers have 2 antennas (HT40), but the google home and chromecast-audio have 1 antenna (HT20).

So, you need the 20/40 mode, not the 40-only mode. Now, I've no idea where the control for that is.

I have 4 chromecast-audio, two different models, as well as a google max, two of the larger insignia, two of the smaller insignia and two google mini's.

I never could get all that working in sync for whole house audio and do the auto-volume feature, with AC wifi. Not any brand of AC wifi, although I suppose that my r6250 could get most of the job done.

To actually resolve this I have 3 AP's connected by gigabit backbone. It is 2 E3000's and an E2000. Wan ports aren't used--they're just AP's. It is possible to use channels 36 to 128 with good results although the antennas are a bit too short for the high numbered channels. The HT40 width channels works perfectly.

To play a unified audio stream to 11 google devices simultaneously, requires that TWO AP's are in range of all of them. They'll either glitch and roam or if they can't roam, they'll glitch and drop, silencing the audio. So, that's why 3 AP's. That keeps 2 AP's in range of all google devices (so they roam and continue playing). In the 'L' shaped house with brick walls, that central 'handoff' unit is very important. And, with an AP always close, concept of range is abolished.

Other way around is that the Ethernet adapter kit for chromecast (video) also works with chromecast-audio and google home speakers too. If you're handy with a drill (for the 90's 'mouse holes'), you can cable them. Then, that problem of well meaning wifi efficiency filters blocking multicast features, is circumvented entirely.

And, a different option is that gargoyle 1.11 support list: http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_1.11.x_rc5/mvebu/
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
danielwritesback wrote:
Good hints there! Thanks.

So, you need the 20/40 mode, not the 40-only mode. Now, I've no idea where the control for that is.

This?
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
scar1943 wrote:
This?
The 20/40 option on that menu is 'auto fallback' to HT20 if there's any other wifi near (including your own iot's).
So, that's not the locale of the option to tolerate HT20 clints despite the router set on HT40.

That, and several more options for preventing the association of lower spec'd wifi clients, needs hunted down and double-checked. Mainly, that's because almost all clients are lower spec'd than your wifi. The compatibility settings could be hard to find or possibly not listed in the GUI. Also, where did they hide the interference rejection modes?

Personally, with what's going on, I'd use the high-spec'd Marvell just like a PC router, by loading Gargoyle 1.11 and turn off wifi, then add AP's which are compatible with wifi clients. Here's the concept: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33159-2x2-ac-access-point-roundup

E3000 5ghz multicast AP DD-WRT 33525 K2.6
WRT54GSv2 long range AP HyperWRT 15
2 WR841Nv9 DD-WRT 33006 AP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: