Help with WRT32X

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
bruce_wein
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34    Post subject: Help with WRT32X Reply with quote
Hi guys,
I've installed DD-WRT about 4 months ago on my WRT32X and i think it was on the main partition.
It was a terrible experience the WIFI was completely unstable, some devices coudln't connect at all (iPhone, Airport Express) some were roaming constantly between 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ.
I reverted to stock by booting the other partition and now i have 2 partition : 1 with original VENOM and one with DD-WRT.

My question is : is there a stable fixed build of DD-WRT, if not - is it risky to stay like this ? can i restore to default VENOM fw on both partitions like when the device was new ?

Thanks !
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:02    Post subject: Re: Help with WRT32X Reply with quote
bruce_wein wrote:
Hi guys,
I've installed DD-WRT about 4 months ago on my WRT32X and i think it was on the main partition.
It was a terrible experience the WIFI was completely unstable, some devices coudln't connect at all (iPhone, Airport Express) some were roaming constantly between 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ.
I reverted to stock by booting the other partition and now i have 2 partition : 1 with original VENOM and one with DD-WRT.

My question is : is there a stable fixed build of DD-WRT, if not - is it risky to stay like this ? can i restore to default VENOM fw on both partitions like when the device was new ?
Thanks !

Any of the 2019 builds work perfectly on the WRT32X

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
bruce_wein
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:43    Post subject: Re: Help with WRT32X Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
bruce_wein wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks !

The WIFI issues for apple devices have been finally fixed ?
I'll definitely try the new build !
How do I switch to the other partition with initial DD-WRT installation now ?
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20    Post subject: Re: Help with WRT32X Reply with quote
bruce_wein wrote:
Yemble wrote:
bruce_wein wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks !

I don't have ANY Apple devices!
I always use Webflash from the DD-WRT GUI, which flashes to the "other" partition. If you want to mess about switching partitions manually, then you are on your own!

bruce_wein
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45    Post subject: Re: Help with WRT32X Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
bruce_wein wrote:
Yemble wrote:
bruce_wein wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks !

I don't have ANY Apple devices!
I always use Webflash from the DD-WRT GUI, which flashes to the "other" partition. If you want to mess about switching partitions manually, then you are on your own!

Is there a way to revert to stock VENOM fw through DD-WRT web gui ? I only did this to be able to get back to stock if there is something wrong ... If this issue was already resolved i would be more then happy
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 13:21    Post subject: Re: Help with WRT32X Reply with quote
bruce_wein wrote:

Is there a way to revert to stock VENOM fw through DD-WRT web gui ? I only did this to be able to get back to stock if there is something wrong ... If this issue was already resolved i would be more then happy

Not to my knowledge. Surely you must have read this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

But why would you want to revert to Venom? As long as you have one stable DD-WRT image installed, you can use the other partition to experiment with the "next" DD-WRT image. If you don't like it you can just boot to the previous image via the triple power toggle method.

You only need one working partition!

The only credible exception to this, is if you plan to install some other firmware, such as LEDE, but if that is the case, you should have really have bought a WRT3200ACM rather than a WRT32X, since the ACM has a one-step DD-WRT installation process from stock, rather than two-step.

bruce_wein
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 16:21    Post subject: Re: Help with WRT32X Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
bruce_wein wrote:

Not to my knowledge. Surely you must have read this: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

But why would you want to revert to Venom? As long as you have one stable DD-WRT image installed, you can use the other partition to experiment with the "next" DD-WRT image. If you don't like it you can just boot to the previous image via the triple power toggle method.

You only need one working partition!

The only credible exception to this, is if you plan to install some other firmware, such as LEDE, but if that is the case, you should have really have bought a WRT3200ACM rather than a WRT32X, since the ACM has a one-step DD-WRT installation process from stock, rather than two-step.

The only reason I want the ability to come back to VENOM is if the Apple wifi issue still happens after the upgrade, that's all. Otherwise DD-WRT is pure gold.
If anyone could confirm that apple wifi issues are gone on the new fw - that would be awesome !
DaveI
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't own any Apple devices (Other than old Ipods)...
But here's some recent entries in the bug tracker regarding Apple products support...See Kong's response from 10 days ago...

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6408#comment:1

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5756#comment:3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
DaveI wrote:
I don't own any Apple devices (Other than old Ipods)...
But here's some recent entries in the bug tracker regarding Apple products support...See Kong's response from 10 days ago...

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6408#comment:1

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5756#comment:3

Too bad Kong let's his disliking of Apple in general cloud his judgement in regards fixing this marvelous FW for the greater good.
I thought this Apple VS Android horseshit is long gone.
I was wrong.
Pity ...
Apple make the best phones, the best tablets, the best TV streamers and probably the best laptops.
They are pricey, but so is driving a Mercedes and people still do it.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
bruce_wein wrote:
Apple make the best phones, the best tablets, the best TV streamers and probably the best laptops.

ROFL... well that's your "unbiased" opinion Rolling Eyes

Why didn't you buy an AirPort? Wink

bruce_wein
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
bruce_wein wrote:

Price, lack of features like in DD-WRT
I did not say they make best routers ...
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
bruce_wein wrote:
Yemble wrote:
bruce_wein wrote:

Price, lack of features like in DD-WRT
I did not say they make best routers ...

Priceless Laughing

Anyway, back to your original question...

Why not boot back to the Linksys partition via the treble power toggle method and then re-install the latest DD-WRT image in exactly the same way that you installed it four months ago (you obviously found a working method). Then you can try out your Apple devices for yourself.

What have you got to lose, as the treble power toggle can always be used to boot the alternative partition?

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you retain the original/stock firmware on the opposite/alternate partition? From my point of view there are two possibilities for your situation.

You flashed the small image from the Linksys web interface ( FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img ) and did not continue to upgrade to the full size image from the DD-WRT web interface with ddwrt-linksys-wrt32x-webflash.bin (as this would have overwritten the remaining stock firmware on the opposite partition).

Or

You continued and have upgraded to the full size image from the DD-WRT web interface -after- going through command line via Telnet/SSH to identify the current partition in use and then switching to the alternate -without rebooting- (2 simple commands, then web flash). This would have overwritten/upgraded the existing DD-WRT partition and kept your opposite partition intact. You can use this procedure again to upgrade to the current build for testing.

Here is the Telnet/SSH instructions quoted from the two main stickies linked below.

"
1. Use the ubootenv get boot_part command to learn the current Partition in use.
2. Use the ubootenv set boot_part (1 or 2 – the opposite number returned in Step 1) command.
3. DO NOT REBOOT
4. In DD-WRT GUI – Administration Tab – Firmware Upgrade Sub Tab: Upload the new ’dd-wrt webflash.bin’ file for your Router & Hardware Version. MAKE SURE THAT NO RESET IS SELECTED.
5. After Firmware Upgrade is finished the Router will automatically reboot.

*You should now have the new DD-WRT upgrade on the current Partition and OEM Firmware will still be intact on opposite partition.
"

Sticky: DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

Sticky: WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure

WRT32X back to stock Firmware

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/02-06-2019-r38581/linksys-wrt32x/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/02-06-2019-r38581/linksys-wrt32x/

There are reasons to have stock firmware available.

1.) You are running into any sort of problem that isn't solved by a reset, reconfiguration, upgrading or downgrading DD-WRT. For example there are longstanding mwlwifi driver issues with some Apple products, some Intel Wi-Fi adapter chipsets and Internet of Things or anything with ESP8266.

2.) You want to avoid Telnet/SSH use as much as possible with the ability to easily try other firmware(s) such as stock Linksys or OpenWRT (Davidc502 LEDE Snapshots for example).

As for the Apple situation with Kong, not sure what's going on there. The best solution is to get involved and provide as much information as possible so the problem can be identified and solved. A good example of this is what is currently happening in the ESP8266 issue thread for the mwlwifi driver.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:

1.) You are running into any sort of problem that isn't solved by a reset, reconfiguration, upgrading or downgrading DD-WRT. For example there are longstanding mwlwifi driver issues with some Apple products, some Intel Wi-Fi adapter chipsets and Internet of Things or anything with ESP8266.

The issues with IoT/ESP devices can, potentially, be resolved by making use of the third radio (ath2). It comes with a number of caveats and will rob you of the 2.4GHz radio on ath1... but it is possible!

Ref: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318604

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately that solution is not practical to most because of the limited range that third radio has. Enabling Radio2/ath2 has side effects (one of which you mentioned).

It's a different chip (88W8887) outside of the main chipset (2x 88W8964) and it doesn't use the mwlwifi driver as an access point. It is meant for DFS Radar Detection (Dynamic Frequency Selection) and receive only in conjunction with Radio0/ath0 (5Ghz, 802.11a/n/ac). Radio1/ath1 is 2.4Ghz, 802.11b/g/n.

I don't want to get off topic here, just providing reasons to have a stock firmware available as an easy fallback and pointing out the need for real data and feedback.

Last edited by blkt on Tue Feb 12, 2019 14:24; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: