TL-WR841N V9 WDS station crashes under load.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
GrayOne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 17:43    Post subject: TL-WR841N V9 WDS station crashes under load. Reply with quote
I setup two TL-WR841N V9s with WDS following this guide:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS#Qualcomm_Atheros_Based_Devices

I'm running the most recent build (Jan 31) on both routers and reset before starting this process.

WDS seems to work fine if I just ping or browse the web, but as soon as I do something bandwidth intensive, like Netflix, YouTube, downloading a large file, the station will crash within 1-3 minutes.

I've tried several Jan 2018 builds, resetting each time, and everyone crashes.

The base is fine and doesn't crash.

Is there some sort of limitation, like I can't use WPA2/AES or I can't use Wide HT40 or something like that, making this crash?
Sponsor
the_laughing_man
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you are correct in that you are hitting some sort of limit client side. I read that with those routers that you can manage and allocate bandwidth on a per device basis so maybe dig into your settings and see if you can adjust that value? Sorry I'm not much help but I am a DD-WRT n00b as well.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a very low horse power router that only has a 10/100 switch and the cpu handles Wan, Lan, & WiFi at the same time (Stresses the CPU). While it can support HT40, Phones & tablets won't be able to take advantage of HT40 in 2.4ghz; so that it plays nice with neighbors WiFi. Only laptops will be able to use HT40 and it will need to be an Intel chipset or QCA chipset; broadcom will cause flakiness too (iOS/Apple). This means the best you'll get is 144.4Mbps under HT20. But you're not going to win any speed contests with that QCA9533 cpu for WAN to LAN/Wifi.

Try to switch to HT20 and follow my recommended wifi settings link in my signature. Your router only has 2.4ghz, so ignore the 5ghz section. Also, I doubt there will be a turboqam 256 option, but if there is, turn it off on this router.

This is a $20 router...don't expect any high performance out of it... I'm not surprised if the thing crashes from stressing the CPU. I wouldn't expect this router to be able to hit anything over 50-60Mbps for DL speed. I would say this router is ok up to 30 Mbps service.

EDIT-
IF you're doing WDS you're going to cut bandwith in half, This is leaving you with like 15Mbps DL WAN side, at best, for throughput....depending on what you're streaming/quality, its no wonder if things are crashing. Again, these don't have enough oomph for today's real broadband speeds...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:44    Post subject: RAM Reply with quote
Most likely it is running out of RAM which would cause a reboot. As the post above suggested, get a better router.

Don't worry about the half bandwidth issue. WDS is the next best thing short of getting a dual-band router (one band for WDS, the other for AP) or running an ethernet cable. I know, in the summer I use a fairly extended WDS network, with a Archer C7 v2 acting as the main (no NAT, just WDS AP mode). Most of my routers will be stable for at least a week uptime, even my low-powered 841ND v8. Just don't expect a low powered router like that to handle a ton of clients or a ton of bandwidth.

5GHz band is not the be all and end all that some people make it out to be. Range is really limited, about half of what 2.4GHz band is for most routers. I use 5GHz for devices that support it but the limited range means I can't really use it for the WDS link. In my location, it would literally mean putting a router every ~50-75ft, that is not reasonable. Currently, most of my routers are ~150ft apart.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: