Netgear R7800 X4S question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
FLIPPER58
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 19:15    Post subject: Netgear R7800 X4S question. Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I have set up a Linksys WRT 1200 AC with DD-WRT thanks to the help from this site about 2 years ago. I now want to set up another separate router and again looking for your help.

I have a brand new Netgear R7800 X4S. I want to set it up with a VPN in order to use the wifi for some surveillance cameras and iPads for side loaded streaming services. My ISP has at times throttled my internet connection when I ran the cameras directly from the ISP. When I noticed throttling I switched them to the VPN Linksys but now that router is running to many things so the Netgear will take the load off.

Which DD-WRT build should I install into this router? Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use a Kong Build.

Latest build: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/Test/R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img

Stable build: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
kong, do not touch brainslayer builds unless u want double or triple the problems. i dont even think his factory img for ipq even works since the support of this platform..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Kloze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
that's an expensive 2ndary device. I have a 7800 as my main and a Raspberry Pi 3b+ that serves as my ad blocker and VPN. The Pi plus parts about 55$
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kloze wrote:
that's an expensive 2ndary device. I have a 7800 as my main and a Raspberry Pi 3b+ that serves as my ad blocker and VPN. The Pi plus parts about 55$

and how much throughput over vpn can that pi handle? r7800 with cpu governor on performance, gets around 95mbps iirc people said.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Kloze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
Kloze wrote:

and how much throughput over vpn can that pi handle? r7800 with cpu governor on performance, gets around 95mbps iirc people said.

That's a good question. I never really tested it without another service or services running. The 3b+ shares a bus between USB and the ethernet so even though its a gigabit port, the max it will go is about 300mbps. So I have 2 VPN services and the ad blocker and also VNC server all running at the same time and I get really good output.

Caveat - the Pi itself is on ethernet and I have all dns queries routed to the Pi for the ad blocking. The R7800 is the primary router and Wifi.

To me, it was an elegant solution as I did not want to ever bog down the router's cycles with anything other than routing my internet.
FLIPPER58
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Use a Kong Build.

Latest build: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/Test/R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img

Stable build: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img

Thank you this is exactly what I need much appreciated! Cool

tatsuya46 wrote:
kong, do not touch brainslayer builds unless u want double or triple the problems. i dont even think his factory img for ipq even works since the support of this platform..

Much appreciated steering me away from major headaches with brainslayer builds! Cool

Kloze wrote:

I originally wanted a 7800 but settled for the Linksys WRT 1200 AC. The Linksys did well for what I needed at that time. Once I started to add more things I noticed a sharp decline. The 7800 will handle the most important things and the Linksys will be used as a secondary.

tatsuya46 wrote:
Kloze wrote:

That's exactly why I bought the 7800 the increased VPN speeds will be a pleasure!Mr. Green Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: