PSK in WPA/WPA2 in recent builds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
DaiC1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00    Post subject: PSK in WPA/WPA2 in recent builds. Reply with quote
Can WPA /WPA2 PSK be applied in Wifi security in these new builds, I've looked in the security settings of several build and can't locate a toggle fir if. - I'm asking as I require this for my smart power switches.

Thanks
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Security Mode=WPA

Tick WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES)
DaiC1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Security Mode=WPA

Tick WPA2 Personal and CCMP-128 (AES)

That's what I thought but it won't let my smart switches pair. If I go back to default firmware they pair perfectly when WPA/WPa2 PSK
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you also tried to tick WPA Personal and possibly TKIP?
WENED
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 15:00    Post subject: Connection problems Reply with quote
I don't see any reference to power switch maker or router model in your post however I suspect that the switches are ESP8266 type devices and the router you are using is a later model WRT (ACS or 3200).

You will find numerous posts regarding this concern related to ESP8266, Sonoff, and other similar devices.

I personally have a large number of Sonoff devices throughout my farm and have struggled with getting them operating correctly. Here are some of the possible workarounds.

1 - If your are using a 3200 you can activate ATH2 to run your devices. ATH2 is a different chip and still works fine with these devices. The downside is that the power output and range of this radio is somewhat limited.

2 - For ACS and 3200's disable wmm in the advanced settings. The downside with this is that most devices other than ESP8266 based cannot connect.

3 - Alternative to 2 is to create a VAP with wmm disabled and therefore allowing all devices to connect respectfully to the usable AP.

With items 2 and 3 you might have problems establishing connection because the phone or tab you use might not connect to the wmm disabled AP. I found that by having wmm enabled allowed me to connect my tablet and then disabling wmm "apply settings" allowed both the tab and devices to connect. Reboot of course killed the connection so that is why appy only worked.

4 - Do as you have done revert to stock firmware. Of course you loose the advantage of specialized control over the router. In my case I have 100 preset static leases which I upload and manipulate. Also I use WDS to my remote routers which isn't even available on stock, that gives me absolute MAC addressing and the appearance of only one router rather than three or four.

5 - Because of the idiosyncrasies involved and the trouble with setup, I am now using all my Sonoff devices on my remote WRT1900 V1 which has no problem with these devices. Some devices are weak due to the range but stil connect and operate.

The problem is with the security but only with the later versions of the radio chips. One final alternative is to disable security and everything connects without any problems. This of course would mean that anyone can break into your system if they figure out your SSID even if you don't broadcast.

This problem has been around for some time and so far no solution in sight. Currently running r38381 on all routers. As I indicated, only newer radios have a problem with this firmware, my 1900 V1 runs flawlessly 500' away in a -30C+ environment.

WRT1900AC V1 Spare Router r38581
WRT1200AC V1 Client-Bridge r38581
WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro Client-Bridged for 1 IP Camera
EX6200 DD-WRT r38535 - Spare
EX7000 Stock Firmware Spare
Devices and Cameras and Sensors
12 WiFi cameras, 4 desktops, 1 laptop, 10 Sonoff Basic/TH16, Artisan 700 Printer, Ongoing testing of other devices.
DaiC1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
WoW, thank you for your excellent reply, loads of options to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: