Best firmware for WRT1900ACS V1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
thebudman420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58    Post subject: Best firmware for WRT1900ACS V1 Reply with quote
I have the V1 model of the wrt1900acs. I don't see the router on the main page router database anymore like it was in the past.

I still see the AC models but not the newer ACS models for some reason?

What is the best firmware version to use with this router? Also what is the best method to flash the firmware?

I got tired of crappy default firmware and decided i want to try a custom firmware like dd-wrt.
Sponsor
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not being sarcastic but I'd say openwrt 18.06.01 is the best firmware for this router. I got one of these a couple of months ago and couldn't get the 5ghz radio to work at all in dd-wrt. Others have but it's a pain. I'm not crazy about the Openwrt GUI and would prefer to use dd-wrt but it just didn't work well for me.

Newer firmware are also apparently too big so you need to flash to an older version first (something like March 2017) then upgrade to the newest one.
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've owned a 1900ACS v1 for a few years now. 6-12 months ago, I would have agreed with ellick. But these more recent builds of dd-wrt have been very reliable and I've had no problems with the default settings on the 5GHz radio.

I'm running 01-24-2019-r38381 and it's just fine.
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddkt wrote:

I'm running 01-24-2019-r38381 and it's just fine.

Were you able to install that to the router or do you still have to install an old build first? I think I last tried installing the newest build back in September or early October and it would appear to install but actually wouldn't. I had to first install a built from March then upgrade.
ddkt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The stock firmware still has a limitation (bug?) that prevents installation of firmware files larger than 32MB. So yeah, if you're installing from stock, you need to install an old version first, then upgrade.
timmytimtimbuktu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
get the old build first, then upgrade to a newer one. the newer ones feel okay. I'm on Ver. 2.0.2.188405.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: