Share Wi-Fi through Crossover Ethernet > Linksys WRT54G v

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
broken_linksys
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 19:27    Post subject: Share Wi-Fi through Crossover Ethernet > Linksys WRT54G v Reply with quote
hello
I've tried to use the Windows 7 ICS to share wifi to the Linksys router I have. I set up ICS from my Wifi card to the Ethernet adapter using the Control Panel. For some reason, when I connect one end of the cable to the "Internet" port of the Linksys (and the other end to the computer ethernet port), nothing happens and the internet isn't shared.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Sponsor
broken_linksys
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 20:43    Post subject: :( Reply with quote
bump
broken_linksys
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:01    Post subject: Re: :( Reply with quote
broken_linksys wrote:
bump

4 days later
bump Laughing
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2356
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 13:37    Post subject: Re: Share Wi-Fi through Crossover Ethernet > Linksys WRT5 Reply with quote
broken_linksys wrote:
I've tried to use the Windows 7 ICS to share wifi to the Linksys router I have. I set up ICS from my Wifi card to the Ethernet adapter using the Control Panel. For some reason, when I connect one end of the cable to the "Internet" port of the Linksys (and the other end to the computer ethernet port), nothing happens and the internet isn't shared.
I've had my parents set up this way for years; from Win7 + WRT54GSv1.0 to Win10 to various other routers.

So you enabled ICS, shared your internet adapters to the ethernet, and connected to the WAN; your WAN should be set for DHCP and get a 192.168.137.x IP address. Your DNS and Gateway on the router should 192.168.137.1. [You can manually change the default ICS IPv4 address which has the side effect of disabling DHCP, but I'd not recommend this; I always had trouble doing that.]

Are you wanting to block the PC from access to the router's LAN? If not, then you want to use Access Point mode. Do all the 'optional' entries; and if the WAN port is assigned as LAN, you could still leave it connected as it is now (makes it easier when upgrading/resetting). It would also get a DHCP 192.168.137.x IP address.

Btw, your router version got truncated in the Subject; what is it, and what build are you using? Hint; don't use 14896. Smile

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 19.7.5|EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302 FT2019.3b|DD 41218: WNDR4500v2, WNDR4000@533, E1500@353,
E2500, R6300v1, WRT54*@250: GLv1.1 nsg, GSv6 µ
|RT-N66U@663 Merlin 380.70|OEM: WGR614v10@400-WNR1000v3 mod
broken_linksys
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36    Post subject: Re: Share Wi-Fi through Crossover Ethernet > Linksys WRT5 Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
broken_linksys wrote:
I've tried to use the Windows 7 ICS to share wifi to the Linksys router I have. I set up ICS from my Wifi card to the Ethernet adapter using the Control Panel. For some reason, when I connect one end of the cable to the "Internet" port of the Linksys (and the other end to the computer ethernet port), nothing happens and the internet isn't shared.
I've had my parents set up this way for years; from Win7 + WRT54GSv1.0 to Win10 to various other routers.

So you enabled ICS, shared your internet adapters to the ethernet, and connected to the WAN; your WAN should be set for DHCP and get a 192.168.137.x IP address. Your DNS and Gateway on the router should 192.168.137.1. [You can manually change the default ICS IPv4 address which has the side effect of disabling DHCP, but I'd not recommend this; I always had trouble doing that.]

Are you wanting to block the PC from access to the router's LAN? If not, then you want to use Access Point mode. Do all the 'optional' entries; and if the WAN port is assigned as LAN, you could still leave it connected as it is now (makes it easier when upgrading/resetting). It would also get a DHCP 192.168.137.x IP address.

Btw, your router version got truncated in the Subject; what is it, and what build are you using? Hint; don't use 14896. Smile

The version is 8.2.
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro - build 13064
WAN IP: 0.0.0.0
How do I set up the WAN? I just want to share my internet connection to the router from another internet adapter. It will be a proxified connection; I can share a separate adapter that uses a proxy. Is there an easier way to use a socks5 proxy with my router?
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 2356
Location: Indy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 19:19    Post subject: Re: Share Wi-Fi through Crossover Ethernet > Linksys WRT5 Reply with quote
broken_linksys wrote:
The version is 8.2.
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro - build 13064
WAN IP: 0.0.0.0
How do I set up the WAN? I just want to share my internet connection to the router from another internet adapter.
Is the WAN set for DHCP or static? Regardless, it sounds like you don't need a different subnet (which using the WAN would do, plus it will slow the connection. WAN just means that the LAN is firewall/NAT'd (which is the default gateway/router operation) from the WAN/internet/whatever.

Put (at least*) 14929 on it first; I presume you've read the Peacock announcement. Then reset, and follow the aforementioned AP instructions. Keep the WAN ('internet' port) connected to the PC, and be sure to 'set WAN as a LAN port' per the instructions. Don't forget that the AP will get a 192.168.137.x address (you can double check that ICS in Win7 sets 192.168.137.1) from the PC, but you should probably set it to a static 192.168.137.2 so you know the IP to access it after Save/Apply and reboot.

*You'll note in my sig that my WRT54GSv6 is using a recent micro build, just -DON'T- use build 32597!

_________________
# NAT/SFE/CTF: limited speed w/ DD # Repeater issues # DD-WRT info: FAQ, Builds, Types, Modes, Changes, Demo #
x64 OPNsense 19.7.5|EA6900v1.1@1GHz, F7D8302 FT2019.3b|DD 41218: WNDR4500v2, WNDR4000@533, E1500@353,
E2500, R6300v1, WRT54*@250: GLv1.1 nsg, GSv6 µ
|RT-N66U@663 Merlin 380.70|OEM: WGR614v10@400-WNR1000v3 mod
broken_linksys
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 21:29    Post subject: Re: Share Wi-Fi through Crossover Ethernet > Linksys WRT5 Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
broken_linksys wrote:
The version is 8.2.
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro - build 13064
WAN IP: 0.0.0.0
How do I set up the WAN? I just want to share my internet connection to the router from another internet adapter.
Is the WAN set for DHCP or static? Regardless, it sounds like you don't need a different subnet (which using the WAN would do, plus it will slow the connection. WAN just means that the LAN is firewall/NAT'd (which is the default gateway/router operation) from the WAN/internet/whatever.

Put (at least*) 14929 on it first; I presume you've read the Peacock announcement. Then reset, and follow the aforementioned AP instructions. Keep the WAN ('internet' port) connected to the PC, and be sure to 'set WAN as a LAN port' per the instructions. Don't forget that the AP will get a 192.168.137.x address (you can double check that ICS in Win7 sets 192.168.137.1) from the PC, but you should probably set it to a static 192.168.137.2 so you know the IP to access it after Save/Apply and reboot.

*You'll note in my sig that my WRT54GSv6 is using a recent micro build, just -DON'T- use build 32597!

What are the aforementioned AP instructions?
Can I have step by step instructions to share an existing wifi connection (a network adapter that is connected to the internet) to the router through Ethernet?
Sorry for bothering you Embarassed
stokholm
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Feb 2019
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45    Post subject: Re: Share Wi-Fi through Crossover Ethernet > Linksys WRT5 Reply with quote
broken_linksys wrote:
jwh7 wrote:
broken_linksys wrote:
The version is 8.2.
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro - build 13064
WAN IP: 0.0.0.0
How do I set up the WAN? I just want to share my internet connection to the router from another internet adapter.
Is the WAN set for DHCP or static? Regardless, it sounds like you don't need a different subnet (which using the WAN would do, plus it will slow the connection. WAN just means that the LAN is firewall/NAT'd (which is the default gateway/router operation) from the WAN/internet/whatever.

Put (at least*) 14929 on it first; I presume you've read the Peacock announcement. Then reset, and follow the aforementioned AP instructions. Keep the WAN ('internet' port) connected to the PC, and be sure to 'set WAN as a LAN port' per the instructions. Don't forget that the AP will get a 192.168.137.x address (you can double check that ICS in Win7 sets 192.168.137.1) from the PC, but you should probably set it to a static 192.168.137.2 so you know the IP to access it after Save/Apply and reboot.

*You'll note in my sig that my WRT54GSv6 is using a recent micro build, just -DON'T- use build 32597!

What are the aforementioned AP instructions?
Can I have step by step instructions to share an existing wifi connection (a network adapter that is connected to the internet) to the router through Ethernet?
Sorry for bothering you Embarassed


I am also trying to share the wifi from my laptop (Windows 10) to my router. Does anyone have a good guide?
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum