WRT54GL v1.0 from DDWRT to Linksys firmware - can't unbrick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
hithighl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 18:11    Post subject: WRT54GL v1.0 from DDWRT to Linksys firmware - can't unbrick Reply with quote
After few evenings of trying myself I gave up and hope can get some indication from the group. Here is data which I trust shall be collected:

My router WRT54GL version 1.0 (serial number CL7A0EB06978)
it was loaded and working with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) for approx 2 years.

I tried to get back to original linksys firmware from above DDWRT.

I searched right version and procedure on forum. I hope I did correct reaserch and found 2 step process to install vx... software and then I was planning to load WRT54GSv7_v7.50.2_fw.bin.

Something failed when I tried to load firmware: vxworksrevert-GSv7-v3.bin
Upload process seemed ok – but most likely I didn't wait enough time after restart. I also realized while upload there were other devices connected through other switch ports on back. I found it could be reasons why I failed.

I spent 3 evenings reading different threads on forum and didn't success to get ping to unit.

My current status:
a. I'm connected to router via one cable (I checked different cables). Network adopter is working. I used 3 different power suppliles (have 3 WRT54GL's) – with all PSU same results.
b. virus protection disabled on laptop, firewall disabled on laptop, wifi card disabled on laptop
c. laptop with windows 7 connected to router via tested cable to port 1 (but tried other 3 ports as well)
d. laptop network card is set to 192.168.1.9 (I also tried with previous IP address since I wasn't sure if firmware upload changed IP address. Before it was 192.168.100.113 – I tried ping this last known IP – but also no success. Same result on both. I tried IP address scanner – browsing in both ranges and found nothing via this tool (Advanced_IP_Scanner_2.5.3784)
e. ping -t 192.168.1.1 gives response „transmission failed. General error”, there is no any ttl response
f. there was no ttl= response, so I did hard reset again. I checked default ip address of DDWRT for WRT54GL – and it is 192.168.1.1. My network settings are correct (as above IP is set to 192.168.1.9 with 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1 gateway, I made needed changes when trying other IP address – mentioned in point d.)
g. starting continuos ping doesnt give any result, no TTL responses. I tried power cycle. No differance in ping response.
LED's: power led is constantly blinking, led for port 2 and 4 are lit constantly sometimes all 4 port leds are lit. I noticed this changes depending if I do restart with or without ethernet cable connected. There was no reaction on WiFi led at all, there was no reaction on DMZ led at all (except when during 30/30/30 they blink for a milisecond when connecting power to router)
h. no ping responses at all during above process
i.I did hard reset 30/30/30 and was wathing ping, no reaction from router

I also was trying this command: arp -s 192.168.1.1 aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff (no success) https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash
I was trying method with works.bin https://lancelhoff.com/how-to-fix-a-bricked-linksys-router/
I was carefully reading advices from peacock https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
I was trying to get unit into „management mode” (found on one of above „recover from bad flash „thread)

Most likely I need to go into the more „heavy” router recovery with jtag

Although I'd like to ask someone more experienced to confim there is no other option or maybe you spotted something I missed while trying to recover it.

Any advice highly appriciated.

regards,
D.
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 21:43    Post subject: Re: WRT54GL v1.0 from DDWRT to Linksys firmware - can't unbr Reply with quote
hithighl wrote:
I searched right version and procedure on forum. I hope I did correct research and found 2 step process to install vx... software and then I was planning to load WRT54GSv7_v7.50.2_fw.bin.

Something failed when I tried to load firmware: vxworksrevert-GSv7-v3.bin
Shocked That is a -big- no...what guide(s) were you using? VXworks stuff is for micro builds WRT54*'s (WRT54G/GS v5+); it is a bootloader and OS. You likely nuked the CFE bootloader; if you never get a TTL=100 response -right- at powerup, using a static IP and constant ping...then yes it will require JTAG.

The procedure to revert to OEM on the GL is to ...just flash with the OEM firmware using TFTP:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL#TFTP_Recovery

It might even work right from the DD-WRT GUI.

|OpenWRT 19.7.5: RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
hithighl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello JWH7,

Damn. Means I did wrong search at beginning. I must have been reading thread about different WRT54GL model Sad

Regarding thread you cited

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL#TFTP_Recovery

I've been reading it many times last days.

When I go to TFTP Recovery place in point 2.4 it has link to another post I read probably couple of times as well

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash

but all of them have one common prerequisite - to be able to Ping router.

As I tried to describe in my first post - I was not able to get ping to work when going step by step / different methodes.

The only one thing I didn't try is the command (mtd erase linux)

Thus my focus last two days was to get ping work. I didn't succeed and that why I wrote this post.

My understanding is if ping doesn't work - I have to go to more complicated method (unless I find way to get ping communication)

BR, Daniel
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
hithighl wrote:
I must have been reading thread about different WRT54GL model [...]
My understanding is if ping doesn't work - I have to go to more complicated method (unless I find way to get ping communication)
Correct. There are big differences among the various G/GS/GL models; e.g. the latter only has a v1.0 and 1.1:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#Hardware_and_revisions

The CFE (bootloader) briefly runs a TFTP server for a second at powerup, listening for clients, using a default 192.168.1.1 IP, and announced with TTL=100. If you set a static IP in that subnet with mask 255.255.255.0, and aren't seeing anything at powerup, then you are screwed.

Granted, I've had cases where I couldn't get a response, finally gave up, then came back the next day and it works first try... but that could have been the tequila. :-/

Reading through your OP again, is the reason you flashed the VXworks killer file, cuz that post referenced an arbitrary file named 'works.bin'? That would be extremely unlucky.

So, if you are -sure- you have TFTP set up and aren't getting a ping reply, then JTAG is your only option. Or I could sell you my GLv1.1, or various other options... Razz Btw, why were you reverting to OEM f/w in the first place?

hithighl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I know I found incorrect instructions now. Thank you for confirming.

Not without guilt - but working on it few hours without glass of red wine would be hard.

I'll try again before going into jtag. Maybe your tequila method will work Smile

Reason I wanted to change to OEM is I installed at home few smart home devices. I have 2 more WRT54GL's with OEM firmware and all works fine. Specifically problem was with WPA-2 authentication on DDWRT.

I read many posts and couldn't make it to work. After few tries I thought the simplest is to go back to OEM (which work on other two units)...

And few bottles of wine later am here Smile

Regards, D.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
hithighl wrote:
My router WRT54GL version 1.0 [...] was loaded and working with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) for approx 2 years. [...]
Reason I wanted to change to OEM is I installed at home few smart home devices. I have 2 more WRT54GL's with OEM firmware and all works fine. Specifically problem was with WPA-2 authentication on DDWRT.
Oh, well you should have asked about that... Razz Hindsight 20/20 and all.

Did you ever update the DD firmware? You should have been using at least 14929. I've never had a WPA2 issue on my GL, and it's running latest builds...I've only used it for testing here and there for many years though.

Anyway, good luck Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: