Socket Error 10054

abonky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:58    Post subject: Socket Error 10054 Reply with quote
Hello,

when I flash my router Linksys E1500 with firmware
dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k
then I can install the Astrill applet (https://wiki.astrill.com/Astrill_Setup_Manual:Installing_Astrill_VPN_applet_onto_your_DD-WRT_flashed_routers) via the Astrill desktop program without any problems.

Note:
- Astrill Desktop Program: Windows program to provide functionality to the stand alone computer
- Astrill applet: Program to provide the functionality to a router

However, when I flash firmware
dd-wrt.v24-33525_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k
or
dd-wrt.v24-33986_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k
then the installation of the Astrill applet stops with the error message
"Socket Error 10054".

I understood from microsoft support website (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/981344/an-application-may-receive-the-10054-error-when-the-application-receiv) that this message is something regarding communication of the router and the Astill desktop program.

Since the Astrill desktop program works well with the older firmware but not with the new firmware, I could imagine two scenarios:

1) The Astrill desktop program is checking for a certain firmware version and can not recognize the new one. However, in this case, I wonder what this has to do with the socket error 10054.
2) The new firmware is somehow stricter and is terminating the connection to the Astrill desktop program and sends out this socket error message.

Could you please help to fix the problem?
What shall I do?
Is there any router setting necessary to get it work?
Sponsor
abonky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi jxm,

after dealing with Astrill support for one month, includng several back and forth discussions and further test,
I got their final answer as follows:

We have checked everything from our end and we found nothing wrong.
This seems to be a DD-WRT firmware issue, there is something broken in their firmware

Beside this answer, what I can confirm right now is that installing Astrill VPN applet works with
dd-wrt.v24-21061_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k
and works with
dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k
but does not work with
dd-wrt.v24-33006_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k
and does not work with
dd-wrt.v24-33986_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k

So..
Actually pointing to the other party does not help, I think.

Question 1: is there any option for me to find out the changelog between the mentioned dd-wrt firmware versions?
Maybe I can narrow the problem down.

Question 2: Is there anyone in the forum who could at least reproduce the problem I observe (could even be with differnt rounters/firmware versions).
sometim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have exactly the same issue with a EA6700 Linksys router. Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36698M (08/22/1Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: