New (KONG) Test Build - 12/31/2018 - r38150M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
rickmav3 wrote:
Best k4.9 M build up to date! All clients connecting at their max. speed. Wider UI config text boxes. And complete rainbow unicorn poop latencies, triple A+ with QoS, 29/17 ms.

For best possible WiFi connection just Disable all "fancy" features as beamforming, multichannel, even Noise immunity if not really needed, before going back and forth between builds. Consumer wireless is simply garbage as RF spectrum: only 3 non overlapping 2.4GHz channels with lots of interference from myriad of other devices operating on this freq., microwave included, 5GHz sharing radar spectrum, only 8 channels out of DFS. In crowded areas like highrises, good luck trying to get better than 60-70% quality channels. Everybody is blasting their routers at max. power and with as many as possible channels bonding. Getting over 100Mbps on WiFi can be considered luck. Adding to this mess, many client's drivers are improper coded and implemented, many closed source and cannot be updated, bitten fruit devices being maybe the worst. They could not even keep their WiFi routers around and now fighting the Co with the best hardware and knowledge on wireless transmissions, cell and WiFi, fitting their devices with subpar modems from Intel struggling for years to figure it out in this field. The idevices are giving the most problems and transmissions errors on DD-WRT. Even DD-WRT is giving now priority to QCA as the best performance hardware and firmware. Also, DD-WRT is actively developed with current drivers, to update mobile client's drivers their OS needs to be updated, old devices, even 1, 2 years old, are given the least priority as new devices need to be sold.

the neuter all features of wifi myth again? doesnt work. the wifi problems this firmware has arent in simple user settings, they are in drivers or qca firmware. doing that just still results in u having the same issues + less range, throughput, slower roaming, lack of fairness between devices with different phy rates etc. swear by what u want u think it works fine, but saying "do this this is proper way it works period" isnt the best way. as pleanty have already seen in here when they tried this stuff.. many revert back to turning useful features back on cause in the end, there was no difference or a worst difference with them off.

cause the problems with shit wifi latency @ speed, throughput, drops arent our basic user settings. its stuff in ath10k.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Sponsor
husky55
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

the neuter all features of wifi myth again? doesnt work. the wifi problems this firmware has arent in simple user settings, they are in drivers or qca firmware. doing that just still results in u having the same issues + less range, throughput, slower roaming, lack of fairness between devices with different phy rates etc. swear by what u want u think it works fine, but saying "do this this is proper way it works period" isnt the best way. as pleanty have already seen in here when they tried this stuff.. many revert back to turning useful features back on cause in the end, there was no difference or a worst difference with them off.

cause the problems with shit wifi latency @ speed, throughput, drops arent our basic user settings. its stuff in ath10k.

+1, tatsuya46 nailed it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you all have for wan_dns and dnsmasq_options? I am not really sure that I set it up properly as tracert doesn't show any real problems. Just thought of asking the gurus of their setup. TIA.

My setting:

wan_dns="192.168.1.1 1.1.1.1 8.8.8.8"

lan_domain="ln"

dnsmasq_options="local=/ln/
expand-hosts
no-resolv
no-poll
all-servers
server=1.1.1.1
server=1.0.0.1
server=8.8.8.8
server=8.8.4.4"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
those first 3 lines i've never seen to be used

lan_domain="ln"

WAN dns cannot be 192.168.1.1 unless its not an IP of another router before this one...

you do not have to use/set LAN domain name unless you need it for its purpose...

expand-hosts - I do not use this
no-resolv - this deny's the use of static DNS servers or default ISP DNS servers
no-poll - don't have this as this does Don't poll /etc/resolv.conf for changes and i need it
all-servers - this contradicts no-resolv as it let's static or ISP DNS servers to be used
all-servers Setting this flag forces dnsmasq to send all queries to all available servers

yep you can add them like this
server=1.1.1.1
server=1.0.0.1
server=8.8.8.8
server=8.8.4.4

and DNSmasq will use them all specivied like that
you can use also query in strict order if so

notice- i would ve stay away of 8.8.8.8 or any google stuff you can fairly replace with 9.9.9.9

what i have in my options

cache-size=2048
domain-needed
bogus-priv
no-resolv
server=9.9.9.9
server=149.112.112.9
no-negcache
filterwin2k

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
RainGater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

lan_domain="ln"

I picked these from the other discussions here. Okay, I will remove them.

Alozaros wrote:

cache-size=2048
domain-needed
bogus-priv
no-resolv
server=9.9.9.9
server=149.112.112.9
no-negcache
filterwin2k

Ok, I will set it up like you suggested:

Remove "wan_dns" and "lan_domain" variables and set:

nvram set dnsmasq_options="cache-size=2048
domain-needed
bogus-priv
no-resolv
server=9.9.9.9
server=149.112.112.9
no-negcache
filterwin2k"

Thank you very much for providing lot more detail on this and much appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf shows bogus-priv
is already there as default for me.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

RainGater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
RainGater wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

lan_domain="ln"

I picked these from the other discussions here. Okay, I will remove them.

Alozaros wrote:

cache-size=2048
domain-needed
bogus-priv
no-resolv
server=9.9.9.9
server=149.112.112.9
no-negcache
filterwin2k

Ok, I will set it up like you suggested:

Remove "wan_dns" and "lan_domain" variables and set:

nvram set dnsmasq_options="cache-size=2048
domain-needed
bogus-priv
no-resolv
server=9.9.9.9
server=149.112.112.9
no-negcache
filterwin2k"

Thank you very much for providing lot more detail on this and much appreciate it.

@Alozaros,

I replicated your settings and some hosts that I use are not resolving now. Reverted to the settings that I had before and it works fine. For example, ping strangled.net doesn't resolve with your settings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
RainGater wrote:

I replicated your settings and some hosts that I use are not resolving now. Reverted to the settings that I had before and it works fine. For example, ping strangled.net doesn't resolve with your settings.

And...This shows how copy/paste works...especially if you don't know whats all about it..

look here each command has an explanation....
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

and...if there is a blocked hosts yep 9.9.9.9 tends to block hosts that contain malicious code

but yep i just noticed too... generally ping is disabled and all sites i ping either fail or request time out...it must be something i missed or probably no-resolve does it ill try at home later...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
murtaza12
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
So Google DNS announced DNS over TLS support today.

I used to use Voxel's firmware on my Netgear R7800, and that had stubby built-in, so enabling it was just a command or two and it was up and running.

It's been a while since I messed around with DD-WRT, so if anyone could point me in the right direction. Would Stubby still be required or is there DNS-over-TLS support already built-in to DD-WRT?

ASUS RP-AC68U - 3.0.0.4.382.40019
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
murtaza12 wrote:

I used to use Voxel's firmware on my Netgear R7800, and that had stubby built-in, so enabling it was just a command or two and it was up and running.

It's been a while since I messed around with DD-WRT, so if anyone could point me in the right direction. Would Stubby still be required or is there DNS-over-TLS support already built-in to DD-WRT?

and? u believe google? one of the most tracking intensive companies on this earth? if "security" matters to u..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

murtaza12
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
murtaza12 wrote:

and? u believe google? one of the most tracking intensive companies on this earth? if "security" matters to u..

Okay... not Google then. Could go back to using CloudFlare's (1.1.1.1) DNS which also supports DoT, but getting stubby installed and working on DD-WRT seems quite complicated.

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
murtaza12 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
murtaza12 wrote:

Okay... not Google then. Could go back to using CloudFlare's (1.1.1.1) DNS which also supports DoT, but getting stubby installed and working on DD-WRT seems quite complicated.

id take cloudflare any day, i use them too, quite fast indeed.

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

murtaza12
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
murtaza12 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
murtaza12 wrote:

Do you use DNS over TLS with CloudFlare since it supports it, or do you just have your router set to use 1.1.1.1 in the GUI?

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
murtaza12 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
murtaza12 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
murtaza12 wrote:

Do you use DNS over TLS with CloudFlare since it supports it, or do you just have your router set to use 1.1.1.1 in the GUI?

no dns over TLS, i dont care, i want speed. i use 1.0.0.1 (cloudflare, but cause some of my devices dislike 1.1.1.1 so i use their secondary), + 4.2.2.3 (level3 dns, very good, check them out), + 208.67.222.222 (opendns), + my isp, i do not enforce any of them, all are there for redundancy, cause randomly my isp dns has gone down more than twice.

i intentionally ensure all my routing to these dns servers are different, so if something happens, which has already, i have a backup.

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

RainGater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
RainGater wrote:

And...This shows how copy/paste works...especially if you don't know whats all about it..

The reason why I asked the *gurus* on this thread (where I see the master @Kong actively chimes in) so that I don't have to research a lot on something as basic as DNS. I am sure most of you must have nailed it. It looks like I have to take the hard route and read it now. Wink

What is your setting on the Setup - Basic Setup - Static DNS 1/2/3? I had 192.168.1.1 (router IP) on Static DNS 1 and now I zeroed it out.

Navigation

Jump to: