Websites taking 8+ seconds to load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Circa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:46    Post subject: Websites taking 8+ seconds to load Reply with quote
Recently my R7000 has started loading new websites up very slowly and taking 8-10 seconds after pressing enter for a page to load. I also get buttons on websites, like a submit button for a login page, that take 8+ seconds to actually press.
I only have devices on wifi, using 5ghz N-Only. I haven't noticed this lag on my computer but my Android is getting it.
I preformed a factory reset after updating to the latest ptb build.
I don't think it's my phone because on LTE, those pages load instantly. Tried some different dns servers with no change. I tried a few major websites like Amazon and Google but still get the long load lag every time. Also tried a few different browsers with the same results.
If I switch to my 2.4ghz other router, everything is instant again, so it has to be my R7000 router.
My router is an R7000 using DD-WRT v3.0-r37015M kongac (09/23/1Cool

Any idea why this problem just started happening? And how I can fix it?
Sponsor
lazardo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try 'NA-mixed' for 5ghz
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
N-AC Mixed*
Circa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
My setting is named "AC/N-Mixed".

Even after changing to that mode, I am still having this long load time issue.

It's weird that every page takes almost exactly 8 seconds to load. It's also happening with loading images in other apps (like Gmail when the email has pictures) and new assets in games when they need to download from the game server.

What else can I try?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is Status->Wireless saying?
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:47    Post subject: Re: Websites taking 8+ seconds to load Reply with quote
Circa wrote:
Recently my R7000 has started loading new websites up very slowly and taking 8-10 seconds after pressing enter for a page to load. I also get buttons on websites, like a submit button for a login page, that take 8+ seconds to actually press.
I only have devices on wifi, using 5ghz N-Only. I haven't noticed this lag on my computer but my Android is getting it.
I preformed a factory reset after updating to the latest ptb build.
I don't think it's my phone because on LTE, those pages load instantly. Tried some different dns servers with no change. I tried a few major websites like Amazon and Google but still get the long load lag every time. Also tried a few different browsers with the same results.
If I switch to my 2.4ghz other router, everything is instant again, so it has to be my R7000 router.
My router is an R7000 using DD-WRT v3.0-r37015M kongac (09/23/1Cool

Any idea why this problem just started happening? And how I can fix it?

If the PC is fine i would think the phone has an issue, why not reset the phone and see? Maybe return to an older ROM if you changed or upgraded recently. You will have to back up your phone if you plan to do this
kiran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having this problem too, but with the 2.4GHz side. I don't use the 5GHz because the range is lacking. But on both my android phone and a Windows tablet, it's as if the DNS lookups hang constantly. I've tried pinging my devices from a wired PC; they generally always respond with no apparent drops in connectivity when trying to go to a website. I'm using Google's DNS at the router and have 'local DNS' enabled. My PCs don't have the problem. The only other thing I can add is that it's usually when I've just woken the device up that it hangs. Once it gets past that, it seems to generally work correctly.

I'm on DD-WRT v3.0-r36410 std (07/28/1Cool

Kiran
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Circa wrote:
My setting is named "AC/N-Mixed".

Even after changing to that mode, I am still having this long load time issue.

It's weird that every page takes almost exactly 8 seconds to load. It's also happening with loading images in other apps (like Gmail when the email has pictures) and new assets in games when they need to download from the game server.

What else can I try?

Only other thing I can suggest is trying the latest <Kong> build in the test folder for your R7000:

Quote:
r37845M build thread:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317610

Test builds in this folder are dated 11-25-18:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/

@kiran, a lot of this misbehaving seems to have settled out in the past two or three BS builds, but I don't generally use the 2.4 band except for older devices that do not have 5GHz band capability.
Circa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I found out what was causing my issue.
It was related to how I set up my OpenVPN client.
This makes sense because it didn't start happening until after I set up my OpenVPN client and the issue was only occurring on the device using the policy based routing ip.

I used Policy Based routing so my phone was the only IP using the VPN. (policy based routing config was 192.168.1.100/32)
The problem persisted after disabling the OpenVPN client because the policy based routing config file was not removed after disabling.

After disabling the OpenVPN client in the router gui, I sftp using WinSCP into /tmp/ and deleted the entire openvpn folder (I don't remember the exact name).
The folder contained the policy based routing config file remnant and my vpn's auth certificate file.

Just deleting the policy based routing ip from the router gui's text box did not remove it from the config file.

I haven't had the issue since.
Unfortunately, that means I can't use policy based routing for my OpenVPN and that policy based routing might not be stable on kongs current builds.
kiran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I wish that was my problem. Even with the latest Kong build, my phone hangs forevar when I wake it up and try to go to a website, or view an email with images attached. I'm still testing to see if I can figure out where the problem is.

Kiran
Circa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kiran wrote:
Well I wish that was my problem. Even with the latest Kong build, my phone hangs forevar when I wake it up and try to go to a website, or view an email with images attached. I'm still testing to see if I can figure out where the problem is.

Kiran

Did you try setting your Wireless Network Mode to Mixed?(not na/mixed, just plain mixed)
Also, could it be QoS? Or Air Time Fairness?
I also turned on implicit and explicit beam forming and Optimize multicast.

What I did was factory reset then set up only the necessities. Write down every change and when it starts happening again, look into whatever your last change made was.

If it's not happening only on your router, it might be your phone doing some sort of power saving. You could try deleting the network then re adding it.
Some carriers have Bloatware on their phones that mess with your wifi too.

If your phone is rooted, we could get a logcat to see everything that it's doing.

I've also seen a wireless printer jam wifi before, so it could be environmental. Try the router in another location?

I'm just brain storming here but I wish I could help. Sad

Create a thread for your issue so it doesn't get lost here, in mine.
Circa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 23:22    Post subject: Possibly found a real permanent solution! Reply with quote
Been reading about similar issues to mine and found out that most of them had DNSMasq in common.
One temporary solution was to kill DNSMasq and let the service restart. This worked but only for a small amount of time before the loading issues came back.

Found I couldn't disable DNSMasq (Services tab) because it would come back on. This is because of the settings "Use DNSMasq for DHCP" and "Use DNSMasq for DNS" were checked.

I disabled "Use DNSMasq for DNS" and the page loading problems are gone.

My solution for now is to disable "Use DNSMasq for DNS". Hopefully this could help somebody.

Setup > Basic then under the "Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)" section, uncheck the box next to "Use DNSMasq for DNS".
uziq
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently had a similar problem, but in my case it was because the "Active IP Connections" sometimes hit the "IP Filter Maximum Ports limit". I had been doing some testing and lowered the limit to 512, and apparently it was too low for my household so I raised it higher and that fixed it.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yesterday, I also got hammered with DNS retries. Working to reduce the problem and here's the DNSmasq options:
Code:
no-resolv
server=208.67.222.222
server=1.0.0.1
server=9.9.9.9
server=8.8.8.8
dns-loop-detect
filterwin2k
min-cache-ttl=3600
cache-size=4096
bogus-priv
domain-needed
quiet-dhcp
no-hosts
no-poll
log-facility=-

And this startup script:
Code:
nvram set ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts=600
nvram set ip_conntrack_udp_timeouts=60
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -s 192.168.1.0/24 -m connlimit --connlimit-mask 32 --connlimit-above 150 -j REJECT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp -s 192.168.1.0/24 -m connlimit --connlimit-mask 32 --connlimit-above 60 -j REJECT

P.S.
Phone wakes to bad wifi? That's a hidden node. Turn CTS protection on or auto. Might even need to play with the wlan interference settings too, such as wlan auto or manual. This should change it:
Code:
nvram set wl0_interference_override=2
nvram set wl0_bcn=300
nvram set wl0_atf=0
nvram set wl0_gmode=1
nvram set wl_gmode_protection=auto
nvram set wl0_gmode_protection=auto
wl -i eth1 interference_override 2

P.P.S.
There is also another cause of weirdness (and an easy fix): https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=316643&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: