[solved] Router randomly won't get IP

burnface
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 17:19    Post subject: [solved] Router randomly won't get IP Reply with quote
Sorry I think this might be the wrong place, but I'm unsure where to post.

Symptoms:
So last night, all of a sudden our internet stopped working. I ended up checking and rebooting the router, and then it was showing WAN IP 0.0.0.0.

What I've tried:
Restarted router multiple times.

All the lights on my modem were green, but I tried restarting that as well.

I also plugged directly into the modem, and my laptop got an IP just fine.

I eventually ended up doing a full reset, with no luck.

Also upgraded to latest FW followed by another reset as suggested.

The only other thing I thought was weird (even though it may not be) was that when I plugged my laptop into the modem (which worked), and Googled "my ip" it returned an ipv6 address. Is that semi-normal / expected?

What else can I try that I'm not thinking of?

Some info:
Router: Netgear WNDR4500v2 (N900)
Pre-upgrade FW: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/15) giga - build 26138M
Post-upgrade FW: DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 (10/10/1Cool
ISP: Charter Spectrum

Last edited by burnface on Tue Dec 11, 2018 20:16; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
securedparty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
While this isn't exactly contributing to your issue, I have experienced this when replacing my main gateway router with a better spec'd router (R7000 to R8500).

I ran into the same problem at one point also. It's like, between the router or modem, something just wasn't working.

I don't even recall how I got it resolved.

I do recall, on one occasion, that I disconnected the ethernet WAN cable from the back of the router, restarted the router and restarted the modem, then connected the router and it began working again with the same WAN IP I had before.
burnface
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
securedparty wrote:
I do recall, on one occasion, that I disconnected the ethernet WAN cable from the back of the router, restarted the router and restarted the modem, then connected the router and it began working again with the same WAN IP I had before.

That did it actually!! After all the times I tried plugging and re-plugging, rebooting, and even resetting it.. I don't think I'd tried it in that exact order.

In order:
1. Unplug WAN cable and power from router
2. Unplug power from modem
3. Wait a few minutes
4. Power modem and router back on without plugging WAN cable back in
5. Give them time to boot up, and finally plug WAN back in.. and it worked.. same IP too

Thanks!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amazing you have found the hot water too as i got modem and router and i always do restart modem wait 3-5 min , than turn on the router...it never failed !!! (all previously connected)....

but constantly ppl complain and blame either ddwrt firmware or the big bad wolf and explain odd things about elf's, ghosts and midgets... Razz Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: