First attempt: Linksys WRT1900ACS bricked - help needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kai-Christoph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 17:26    Post subject: First attempt: Linksys WRT1900ACS bricked - help needed! Reply with quote
Hi there!

Got my brandnew Linksys yesterday…
I bought it to operate OpenVPN via NordVPN…

Today I downloaded the factory-to-ddwrt.bin and ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acs-webflash.bin…

After flashing via the Linksys GUI and rebooting, the machine is dead…

WTF?!? So how should I try to unbrick the Router?

Cheers
KC
Sponsor
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never bricked mine but there are a lot of folks on here that should be able to help. Until they show up you could peruse the post that has a lot of helpful info especially the area under 'What if something goes wrong'.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117&sid=6d54185790c8dad5a9fb0f58d16b1233

I think the first thing anyone is going to recommend is to try booting back to the Linksys partition if you can, from the referenced post try this:

Power Cycle the router three times.
Using the router’s power switch – turn OFF then turn back ON.
Wait 2 seconds then turn OFF.
Turn back ON.
Turn back ON.
Router should have booted into opposite partition

Why did you download the webflash.bin if you were going to load it from the Linksys partition, the only release version you should be using to load from the Linksys partition is the factory-to-ddwrt version?

One other important thing that folks need to know to really help is specifically which WRT1900ACS, I assume since you just got it that it is version 2? Also, if it is version 2 did you load the correct factory-to-ddwrt release for version 2 via the Linksys GUI and not the release for the version 1?

OpenVPN server
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Version 2 is labeled as such only on the label on the bottom of the router, where the model (ignore the FCC ID) on the upper right will be WRT1900ACSV2.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Kai-Christoph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Version 2 is labeled as such only on the label on the bottom of the router, where the model (ignore the FCC ID) on the upper right will be WRT1900ACSV2.

Oh no! I just realised, that it says "Q97-WRT1900ACV2" on the FCC ID.
Now I'm completely confused. Could you please tell me, what kind of Model I have, and what are the correct Firmwarefiles?

Attached you will find a pictrure of the bottomlabel.
Kai-Christoph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
BobbyLee wrote:

Power Cycle the router three times.
Using the router’s power switch – turn OFF then turn back ON.
Turn back ON.
Turn back ON.
Router should have booted into opposite partition

That worked for me!!! Thank you so much!
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kai-Christoph wrote:
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

Oh no! I just realised, that it says "Q97-WRT1900ACV2" on the FCC ID.
Now I'm completely confused. Could you please tell me, what kind of Model I have, and what are the correct Firmwarefiles?

Attached you will find a picture of the bottomlabel.

So what does it say in the "Model No." box, should be top right of the label? Like SurprisedItWorks wrote ignore the FCC ID and check the number in the "Model No." box it probably says WRT1900ACSV2, does it? I'm not seeing the picture of your label displayed in the post. IF it does say WRT1900ACSV2 this is the file you want to install from the Linksys GUI, download the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/12-04-2018-r37908/linksys-wrt1900acsv2/

They don't differentiate in the FCC ID, that's why SurprisedItWorks said ignore it. My WRT1900ACS is a version one but it also says Q87-WRT1900ACV2, but in the Model No. box it says WRT1900ACS (versions 1 don't get a V1 added).

OpenVPN server

Last edited by BobbyLee on Sat Dec 08, 2018 15:54; edited 1 time in total
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree. Model number on upper right rules. Ignore the FCC. I have two of these V2 routers, and both show the same model number, with the V2. But one has an FCC ID with a V2, and one has an FCC ID without the V2. Apparently their FCC paperwork for the V2 got updated in the middle of the production run.

Be happy you have the V2. It seems to be the most trouble-free of the relatively modern Linksys WRTblahdiblah routers.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I have two of these V2 routers, and both show the same model number, with the V2. But one has an FCC ID with a V2, and one has an FCC ID without the V2. Apparently their FCC paperwork for the V2 got updated in the middle of the production run.

That doesn't explain why my WRT1900ACS V1 has a V2 on the end of the FCC number. Does anyone really know what Linksys is doing? And that is where all the confusion comes in. Shocked

OpenVPN server
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow! If Linksys is getting erratic about labeling, maybe we have to look for other clues on the box. What changed from V1 to V2? My box does have a solid silver circle maybe 5cm across with text

NEW & IMPROVED
WRT
FASTER PROCESSING
SPEED & DOUBLE
THE MEMORY

Is that a V2 thing?

Also, I was sloppy in commenting before. Actually both my routers show. WRT1900ACSV2 as the model and WRT1900ACV2 (yep, no S) as the FCC ID. Forum posts back when the ACS first came out often suggested, in what was clearly an atmosphere of general confusion about the labels, that the ACV2 and the ACS (V1 implicitly) were one and the same.

Last edited by SurprisedItWorks on Sat Dec 08, 2018 17:05; edited 1 time in total
Kai-Christoph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Second try, this is the label of my Linksys.
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kai-Christoph wrote:
Second try, this is the label of my Linksys.

I see the label this time. Did you get it used or off eBay
because that's an older version 1 like mine. So which file did you load onto the router the first time that bricked it, was it the webflash version?

On that router you should use the Linksys GUI to load the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file from this link:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/09-19-2018-r36995/linksys-wrt1900acs/

That should work for you. You do know you have to access the DD-WRT GUI afterwards by going to 192.168.1.1 because the Linksys webpage is looking for a Linksys link which isn't the same. One other detail, some folks have issues with installs using Chrome and FireFox so if you do too try IE, that's never given me any problems.

OpenVPN server
Kai-Christoph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got it from eBay.

After all the trail an error, I am not sure which file caused the brickes device.

I'm going to try your suggestion now.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Kai-Christoph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's like yesterday:

I used the GUI for flashing the Linksys.
The Firmwarefile is this:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/09-19-2018-r36995/linksys-wrt1900acs/factory-to-ddwrt.bin

I pushed the Startbutton, the Flashing starts and ends with the rebooting of the router.

After this I get my IP and I connect to the router over 192.168.1.1 and Booom: I am at the normal Linksys GUI.
No DD-WRT…

Where is the trick?
BobbyLee
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, since I used my WRT1900ACS the last time there have been some folks who ran into the same issue with newer releases. I'm not familiar with the workaround but it has something to do with having to install an older release first. Hopefully someone will get in here soon with more details.

SurprisedItWorks wrote:
You there?
Would you know what the workaround is?
OpenVPN server
Kai-Christoph
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
And I still thought: rather buy yourself a brand new device from the shop, who knows. what can be all about a used device...

Pffff… It's all annoying.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: