Does this sound like a failed router? Belkin F7D1401 v1

t0ny84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04    Post subject: Does this sound like a failed router? Belkin F7D1401 v1 Reply with quote
Hi.
I am hoping that someone might be able to give me some advice if this sounds like a failed router.

I tried Belkin Support but they were not helpful at all. Wouldn't even advise how to reset the device.

I have a Belkin F7D1401 v1 which has been working great until about a month ago when one day I couldn't connect to the internet wirelessly with it.

I tried connecting to it with an ethernet cable. My computer registered that had been plugged in and attempted to get IP but after a while it gives me private IP address 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. Tried setting manual IP address which says connected but still can't ping / connect.

Looked online about resetting it. But this didn't do anything.
Used Belkin reset guide I could find and 30/30/30 method.

Belkin reset method - lights flash and it seems to restart the router but still unable to connect.

30/30/30 - no lights come on or anything until I power cycle the router then all I get is router lights flashing and it gives me private IP.

Looking at the router when it has power the connection light flashes yellow then red. As if trying to connect to internet but can't.

My questions:
1) Can a router just fail like this - working then dead?

2) Is there any special ways of resetting the Belkin routers.

3) Is there any other way to connect to the router to see if it is definitely dead?

4) Is it possible to flash a router if you cannot ping it or get an update from it.

Thanks so much for reading this and any assistance you can provide.

Regards

Anthony
Sponsor
t0ny84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I know it can't have DD-WRT which is sad as my other Belkin (router) runs perfectly with an old outdated version.

More trying to understand how it can go from working to dead in under 1 hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: