PPTP and PPPoE failing on latest builds (all architectures)

Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 17:42    Post subject: PPTP and PPPoE failing on latest builds (all architectures) Reply with quote
Our network uses PPTP (encapsulated inside protocols with strong encryption) to establish WAN connections. Recently, we've discovered that when a DD-WRT router attempts to log into the network immediately after it boots, the server shows an aborted connection attempt. DD-WRT's WAN status display says "Connected" but there's actually no connection. It also sometimes shows an IP address when the router has not acquired one yet (as if a the variable Pressing the "Disconnect" button does nothing, and the DD-WRT router doesn't try to connect again unless it is forced to do so (e.g. by pressing "Apply Settings"). This is similar to problems which others have reported with PPPoE.

The problem occurs when the router tries to make a WAN connection via a PPP-based protocol such as PPTP for the first time after rebooting. Again, doing anything that FORCES it to try a second time - such as "Apply Settings" - results in a successful connection.

I've monitored the packets going back and forth between client and server, and here is what I see. The TCP control connection starts up, the client and the server begin to negotiate a connection, and then the process suddenly aborts when the client (the DD-WRT router) sends an RST, terminating the control connection, instead of continuing as it should. The RST occurs just when one would expect the LCP negotiation to commence, as if the PPP client process on the DD-WRT router is crashing.

This is a serious bug and disables the user's Internet connectivity. DD-WRT developers, could you look into this? (Note: I am posting this as a general question rather than under "Advanced Networking" because it affects the router's WAN connection, not a VPN, though PPTP is also used for weakly encrypted VPNs.)

I see a fix for a similar problem at https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/37373 but it doesn't seem to have fixed this one.
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 21:32    Post subject: Build Threads Reply with quote
See the link in my signature. Post this in a build thread.

PS: You don't even mention what build you are using or what router model.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Brett Glass
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is occurring in all recent builds (including the latest, which is 37908) and on all router models (I happen to be testing with a TL-WR940NDv4).
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 20:01    Post subject: Post in the approriate build thread Reply with quote
Post something here then, only for build 37908, and only on Atheros based routers: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317729

Yes, the 940N is Atheros based.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
my pppoe (client) works with 1043v2 check your settings or even ask ISP very often you have to reboot modem first than wait and than reboot router
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brett Glass wrote:
This is occurring in all recent builds (including the latest, which is 37908) and on all router models (I happen to be testing with a TL-WR940NDv4).

Brett Glass wrote:

I have noticed this too.
The 'Login status' shown on the Status>>WAN page is misleading.
* If you disconnect from this page, the status changes to "Disonnected".
* If you click the "Connect" button next to it, nothing happens.
* If you try to open a page, it opens (means internet is connected), but the status continues to show as disconnected.
* [added later] ... strangely, after 5-6 minutes, when I see this same page, the status shows as connected (repeat the above steps again to get the same results).
My two cents (and I am NO expert): Perhaps one line of code to refresh the Status>>Wan page is missing/corrupt. The settings get updated, but the page update happens based on some time-based refresh.

There is a definite bug here - so I ignore this page nowadays. This page does not show the correct status. I do not mean to be overcritical - because this is one of the most minor issues and dd-wrt has been a great thing overall, but yes - I did notice this issue is there.

My router: R6400v2. I have seen this happen with all recent builds released in past 5-6 months - both Kong & BS. My connection: pppoe

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
good lord you ware so clever to test to open a page
and it worked some ppl don't do it and create a thread
bla bla bla pppoe is not working...ill create a ticket
and so on...jss fk crst...

just to let you know i tested connect and disconnect
its working on my unit 1043v2 and yep its taking its time to refresh so its kind of misleading until it gets an IP and all the rest, but sometimes my modem jams
and needs restart but that's very rare too

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
@m0eb@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43    Post subject: Logorrhea ! Reply with quote
... some are clever and some are clever by half, I guess. I report what I observe and try to contribute in my little way. Posts are always about an issue or a topic.

Thankfully, the community reads and understands all this, even when I am at my silly best sometimes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: