WRT54G v8 Best, stable f/w version for client bridge w/ dhcp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
georget93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 22:11    Post subject: WRT54G v8 Best, stable f/w version for client bridge w/ dhcp Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've got a WRT54G v8 that is going to be switched over to DD-WRT when my new WRT54GL gets here this week. I'm planning on using the WRT54G as a client-bridge for a PS3 in a bedroom, and I need the PS3 to be able to properly get a DHCP-provided IP address from the AP (which will be the GL). Hard IP address, DMZ and port-forwarding are not options, since I've got multiple consoles in the house, and uPNP is needed to ensure the correct ports are opened to the correct device at the correct time.

I've read about problems using v24 on the WRT54G v8 as far as DHCP is concerned, so I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a specific build (there are so many it gets a bit confusing to a newcomer like myself) that will work with DHCP on a WRT54G v8 in client-bridge mode? I'm guessing it would be one of the v23 builds I've read about, but which build is the most stable that will work in client-bridge mode while allowing DHCP to work from the main AP?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. My WRT54GL will be here sometime in the middle of the week, and I'd like to have as much information handy as possible before I start flashing things. :P

Thanks again,
George
Sponsor
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
You want to use svn11296. Newd version (Micro I believe) See the peacock thread. Link in my sig.
Follow the exact steps for your router in the wiki, but use the 11296 build instead of what is recommended.

You don't need or want a v.23.

You will also want to put 11296 on your GL...but use Newd_mini first.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
georget93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Donny.

I've been researching this for a few days, googling, reading the forums here, as well as going through the wiki. The peacock thread is very helpful, but I wasn't able to find anything concrete on what the most stable firmware version was that would work with DCHP across a WRT54G in client-bridge mode. Your answer was precisely what I was looking for, so thank you. :)

I've actually already followed the flash procedure for the WRT54G a couple of times now, as I already tried out a few different builds, but on the first build I tried (v24 micro olsrd, this is the one that was linked to from the wiki for installing to the v8,) the DHCP server wouldn't hand out any addresses. I then flashed to v24 11474 micro newd, and while that seemed to work fine, every few hours the router would reset itself, though the reboot scheduler was only configured to reboot once a day at 6 am. Note that I did revert back to stock Linksys firmware in-between trying those two versions out.

After trying those versions, I flashed back to stock Linksys firmware and decided I should just get a router that could properly support a full build of DD-WRT instead of the micro builds. So last night, I ordered the WRT54GL, and figured when it gets here that I'd just turn the WRT54G into a client-bridge to try and improve the signal and bandwidth to the other end of my house, in an effort to eliminate the occasional choppiness while streaming standard definition movie and tv videos to my PS3 in the bedroom. Now I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that the choppiness will be gone once I've got everything set up. Wish me luck! :)

Thanks again for the help, I just flashed 11296 on to the WRT54G v8, and already grabbed the mini and mega builds to use on the GL when it gets here. 11296 went on nice and smooth, and as long as the uptime counter can make it to 24 hours without rebooting (rebooter is off), then I'll be a happy man (at least until the GL gets here and I get to cross the client-bridge ummm bridge. Razz)

-George

(Edit: I downloaded the mega build, but am aware I can't flash it to the GL. I just grabbed all the NEWD files in the download area for 11296).

Last edited by georget93 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:46; edited 1 time in total
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to hear. If the bridge doesn't work, see about wiring the routers together with a cable if you can.

Also...mega won't work on the GL It only has 4mb of flash. Newd_standard is what you need.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
georget93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Believe me, if I could've dropped a wire, I would've done it already lol. My wife gets nervous every time I drag out a power tool, and the only way I'm getting a wire to that side of the house is up through the ceiling.

Unfortunately, the internet connection/router/PCs are at the absolute opposite corner of the house from where I'm trying to connect to. Since the PS3 is the only thing over there that needs a connection to the network, if I could've easily ran a line then I would've just dropped one straight to the PS3 and called it a day. Believe me, that would be my preferred way to go, but that's literally a last resort for me at this point. :\

The biggest problem I have on that end of the house is when streaming video. Since the v8 of the WRT54G doesn't have detachable antennas, and there's no way for me to just attach an antenna on the PS3 end, I'm hoping that the two routers can maintain a higher throughput than I'm able to maintain using the PS3's built-in wifi in order to eliminate the occasional choppiness in the video stream that seems to crop up every 10-15 minutes or so. It only lasts a few seconds at a time, but if I can eliminate the stutters, I'll be very happy.

The WRT54G is really just going to be used as a sort of glorified external antenna, which at least can be moved around the room a bit to try and get the best signal possible since line of sight just isn't happening in this house lol. If the signal still isn't strong enough at that point, at least I'll have the option of trying to replace the GL's antennas with higher gain ones, which just isn't an available option on the WRT54G v8 without ripping it apart and soldering on new connectors (I think my wife would like the idea of a soldering iron in my hand even less than regular power tools like a drill lol).

Now all I need is for my GL to get here. Hmm, I've been excited about purchasing all kinds of computer hardware over the years, but honestly, this is the first time I've ever been excited a piece of networking equipment that I ordered lol. :P

Thanks again for all the help, very appreciated! :)

-George
georget93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, one more question. I read in the GL installation instructions (as you also indicated) that I need to install the mini version OR the micro version before installing the standard version. Is that correct? Can either the mini or the micro be used prior to flashing to the standard, or should I only use the mini version first? And does it matter which one is used (mini or micro)? I just want to make sure, as I thought it odd that it reads that you could use either one, and just want to clarify that I'm not misunderstanding it.
m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the GL you can use either one, it doesn't matter. It's just that the Linksys GUI doesn't accept firmwares greater than a certain size. Also when you are doing firmware upgrade (i.e. DD-WRT -> DD-WRT) you need to always do a hard reset (30/30/30) before and after flashing.

To resolve the choppiness problem you could also try a few things:
Under Wireless -> Advanced Settings
Disable WMM support
Make sure Bluetooth coexistance is disabled.
Play with TX Power. Sometimes when you are close to AP it's better to lower it and if you are further away it might help to rise it up, but not higher than 80. If you want to rise it higher you should put a heatsink on the broadcom chip in the router

Under Basic Settings choose channel that least amount of your neighbors use. (e.g. ch 11 or 9). I was using channel 11 before and that's when I was getting the most throughput on my network. But recently some neighbor close to me set up Wireless N router on channel 11 as well and after that during the day my wireless speeds started jumping up and down because I was getting a lot of interference so I switched to channel 9. Don't use 6 because that's default for many routers.

Also for wrt54g v8 the best firmware, in my opinion is 11296 micro. I've tried the newest one, it's just not as stable as 11296...
georget93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
m00nman wrote:
For the GL you can use either one, it doesn't matter. It's just that the Linksys GUI doesn't accept firmwares greater than a certain size. Also when you are doing firmware upgrade (i.e. DD-WRT -> DD-WRT) you need to always do a hard reset (30/30/30) before and after flashing.

To resolve the choppiness problem you could also try a few things:
Under Wireless -> Advanced Settings
Disable WMM support
Make sure Bluetooth coexistance is disabled.
Play with TX Power. Sometimes when you are close to AP it's better to lower it and if you are further away it might help to rise it up, but not higher than 80. If you want to rise it higher you should put a heatsink on the broadcom chip in the router

Under Basic Settings choose channel that least amount of your neighbors use. (e.g. ch 11 or 9). I was using channel 11 before and that's when I was getting the most throughput on my network. But recently some neighbor close to me set up Wireless N router on channel 11 as well and after that during the day my wireless speeds started jumping up and down because I was getting a lot of interference so I switched to channel 9. Don't use 6 because that's default for many routers.

Also for wrt54g v8 the best firmware, in my opinion is 11296 micro. I've tried the newest one, it's just not as stable as 11296...

Thanks for all the info, m00nman. Smile I got 11296 micro on the WRT54G v8 last night, and I'll just use the micro on the GL when it gets here, then I'll upgrade it to the standard version from there. I just wanted to be sure that micro/mini could be used interchangably for the initial flash on it, as I didn't want to brick my new GL when it gets here by using the wrong one for the initial flash.

I'm going to try the settings you mentioned for the Wireless\Advanced settings, but I've got two quick (and probably stupid) questions to ask.

First, why do you recommend that should I use channel 11 or 9? I don't understand how the wireless bands are divided, and thought (probably incorrectly) that lower channels overlapped higher channels. I thought that meant that for example, if using the default channel 6, that you'd likely be getting interference from the lower channels like 4 and 5. Based on that assumption, I have the channel set to 1 currently under the impression that no other channels would overlap it unless someone else nearby was also broadcasting on channel 1. I'm just curious, since I don't really understand the hows or whys some of this stuff works, why one should choose channel 11 over a lower channel like 1.

Second, you recommend turning off WMM support and to make sure Bluetooth coexistance is off (it is). I'm not familliar with what WMM is used for, so I thought (based on name alone) that it was used for things like streaming. I'm going to turn it off now, but I'm curious as to what the WMM feature is actually used for. :)

Thanks again for the help and tips. I really appreciate your input. :)

-George
m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually all channels overlap roughly 2 channels down and 2 channels up so when you are using channel 1 you may get interference from somebody who's using channels 2 and 3. I'm not too sure how all that works but I experimented with all the channels by testing each one's throughput (in my area) and found that channel 11 was the best and 9 was second best. In might be different in your area though.

WMM is basically QOS (quality of service) for wireless. It prioritizes network traffic depending on what the traffic is. So the router has to basically go and look inside every packet to get to know what kind of packet that is. It puts a lot of pressure on the router's slow cpu so instead of prioritization you might get an overall slowdown until cpu catches up. WMM algorithm might be imperfect too. I'm not a guru in this, that's just my understanding of how it all works so correct me if I'm wrong...
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some units don't like micro. Use mini first on the GL. It likely doesn't really matter, but better to use mini first, JIC.

Always follow the wiki....

yv1650c
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!
I’ve been reading the forum for a while searching the best firmware for my old wrt54g. The peakok post doesn’t provide me with accurate info about installing an stable version but it alert me on what I am using right now is not the appropatiate.
I wish to have it updated to the best and most stable version and if it can also provide a VPN service will be the best!

Wrt54g
V8
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
yv1650c wrote:
....stable version and if it can also provide a VPN service will be the best! ...
Wrt54g
V8

I'm running 'DD-WRT v3.0-r36104 06/10/18' on all my WRT54G units
You won't find VPN for 2 MB flash routers.
yv1650c
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
yv1650c wrote:
....stable version and if it can also provide a VPN service will be the best! ...
Wrt54g
V8

I'm running 'DD-WRT v3.0-r36104 06/10/18' on all my WRT54G units
You won't find VPN for 2 MB flash routers.

May you please provide me a link to download it?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
yv1650c wrote:

assuming you already have dd-wrt installed on the WRT54Gv8 'HERE' is direct download for it of the r36104

If you don't have dd-wrt installed then see --
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v8.0_%26_v8.2
yv1650c
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
yv1650c wrote:

assuming you already have dd-wrt installed on the WRT54Gv8 'HERE' is direct download for it of the r36104

If you don't have dd-wrt installed then see --
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v8.0_%26_v8.2

I really have to thank you! I tried other versions of file and the system got me Update fail message. That very link you provided me worked fine.

I really wanted to update that version the peacock message says is a DONT install... It was working fine but the post was disturbing my mind on it.

Thank you!
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: