Linksys 1900ACS version confusion and firmware differences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Jordan1200
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 19:57    Post subject: Linksys 1900ACS version confusion and firmware differences? Reply with quote
OK so as the subject says, I am a bit confused. My router has WRT1900ACS under model and
WRT1900ACV2 under FCC ID.
So what's the difference?
The router database has both version listed. Linksys 1900AC (S)
1900AC (V2)
Are both of these firmware the same?
This is from the sysinfo_cfg

device::serial_number=18E10603609910
device::model_base=WRT1900ACS
device::manufacturerDate=2016/03/23
device::cert_region=US
device::modelNumber=WRT1900ACS
device::modelDescription=Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-AC Gigabit Router
device::hw_revision=1

My end goal is I want to setup a VPN like Nord or express etc...
What's the best firmware version going at the moment for my router?
I saw the sticky
Sticky: Best build for the wrt1900ac v1. Build r31924
Is this still the "best" and if so why?
Thanks again everyone for your input. Smile
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting. Mine shows as model WRT1900ACS V2 (upper right of label under router) and WRT1900ACS on the FCC ID (left side of same label). My understanding is that the FCC ID should be ignored, that it's the model number that matters. And I also believe the firmware is different for each of these models and versions. Certainly I have been using the WRT1900ACSv2 downloads quite successfully.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Jordan1200
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Interesting. Mine shows as model WRT1900ACS V2 (upper right of label under router) and WRT1900ACS on the FCC ID (left side of same label). My understanding is that the FCC ID should be ignored, that it's the model number that matters. And I also believe the firmware is different for each of these models and versions. Certainly I have been using the WRT1900ACSv2 downloads quite successfully.

Yes that is why I am confused. The router database lists the Linksys 1900AC as V1, V2, S.
This so is there a linksys 1900AC model with V1 and V2 AND a linksys 1900ASC with V1 and V2?
Linksys support was of no help on that question...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Much, much, much smaller picture next time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Much, much, much smaller picture next time.

Sorry it's really early where I am. Just grabbed it off my phone. What size/res is best?
Any thoughts on my post?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Small enough that it doesn’t skew the page. Not needed anyway.
You have a wrt1900acs as already stated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Small enough that it doesn’t skew the page. Not needed anyway.
You have a wrt1900acs as already stated.

Sorry didn't see where that was actually stated in replies to my post. Only my statements of what I have and a response.
So I will go ahead and use the Linksys 1900AC(s) firmware.
Is there a recommended release or stable release?

There is definitly a V1 and V2 from the 1900ACS according to
This post link below. So I want to make sure I am using the correct firmware, sure you understand. As I mentioned I see only 1 firmware for the 1900AC(S) specifically and 1 for each for the 1900AC V1 and V2 respectively and there is a V1 and V2 for the (S) not just the AC.
When |I called Linksys a year or so ago when my unit was new they confirmed what in this post.

I am sure this is already known, just being careful don't want a brick....

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT1900ACS-V1-vs-V2-hardware-changes/td-p/1047601

"WRT1900ACS V1 vs. V2 hardware changes
Options
‎08-16-2016 08:43 AM

Bummer but for anyone else searching here's your answer:

-----Original Message-----
From: LinksysCares@linksys.com [mailto:linksyscares@linksys.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:20 AM
To: ***
Subject: RE: WRT1900ACS v1 vs. v2 changes [ ref:_00D306e4T._50034qwh0d:ref ]

Hi, ***,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. We're here to answer the question that you asked with regard to the difference between the Linksys WRT1900ACS router version 1 and version 2.

There are no changes to Setup, UI, or Hardware between the two versions. The only difference in the version 2 is where the Wi-Fi driver looks for the wireless power tables - meaning the v1 and v2 have the power tables in 2 different locations. You will still be able to make changes using Open Source firmware, with the WRT series solely. With regard to the FCC change, it just prevents users from modifying routers to operate outside of their licensed radio frequency parameters. Also be informed that the firmware for WRT1900ACS v1 is not compatible with WRT1900ACS v2 or vice versa. If you will load the wrong firmware, your device might experience connectivity issues.

We hope that we answered your question. Let us know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Linksys Support

www.linksys.com"
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

Also read the stickies at the top of this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jordan1200 wrote:
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

Yes that is why I am confused. The router database lists the Linksys 1900AC as V1, V2, S.
This so is there a linksys 1900AC model with V1 and V2 AND a linksys 1900ASC with V1 and V2?

You do know that the router database is obsolete and not to be used, right? The instructions to follow for this router are at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117, which has a link to the actual ftp site with the build files.

I'm guessing you know this already, but just to be sure…

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Jordan1200
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Jordan1200 wrote:
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

You do know that the router database is obsolete and not to be used, right? The instructions to follow for this router are at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117, which has a link to the actual ftp site with the build files.

I'm guessing you know this already, but just to be sure…

No I didn't, thanks I am a bit overwhelmed with all the information. Been looking at DD-WRT and Open-WRT.
trying to determine what would be best for me and how they differ...
Your input is greatly appreciated.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, so glad I could help you on that key point. It IS overwhelming. When I started, I didn't know the database was deprecated either, and I actually installed and used a seriously obsolete dd-wrt version from it for months before I stumbled across that link I just gave you.

In any case, since I found the right software, I've been very satisfied overall with dd-wrt, as I've been able to set up an impressive (to a nonexpert like me) variety of features. There have been a couple of bugs/limitations encountered along the way, but the forum has been super helpful in getting me past them. To get some not-so-beginner features (multiple guest networks, a vpn kill switch), I had to read up on the basics of iptables firewall programming, and for a few things (multiple dnscrypt DNS servers, vpn on one guest network only, splitting the LAN into two virtual LANs to put on different subnetworks ) I had to read pretty widely in the forum and elsewhere, but all that came gradually over months, one improvement project at a time. And it was definitely a help being already quite comfortable in the linux world.

surfguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The other day I noticed the build for my wrt1200 had been updated to 10-10-2018 in the database, a quick look around and it seems that's the case for others as well (at least the Asus and Netgear devices I checked), so not the newest, but a lot newer than the database was not too long ago.
Jordan1200
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I checked the link for downloads, thanks. What is the differnce between some different builds like the one's I see in the downloads section and Kong and brain slayer?
Flash routers said they are using the brain slayer 10/19 build currently.
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Wow, so glad I could help you on that key point. It IS overwhelming. When I started, I didn't know the database was deprecated either, and I actually installed and used a seriously obsolete dd-wrt version from it for months before I stumbled across that link I just gave you.

In any case, since I found the right software, I've been very satisfied overall with dd-wrt, as I've been able to set up an impressive (to a nonexpert like me) variety of features. There have been a couple of bugs/limitations encountered along the way, but the forum has been super helpful in getting me past them. To get some not-so-beginner features (multiple guest networks, a vpn kill switch), I had to read up on the basics of iptables firewall programming, and for a few things (multiple dnscrypt DNS servers, vpn on one guest network only, splitting the LAN into two virtual LANs to put on different subnetworks ) I had to read pretty widely in the forum and elsewhere, but all that came gradually over months, one improvement project at a time. And it was definitely a help being already quite comfortable in the linux world.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong supported a small number of routers, the ones he actually had on hand to test with. That does NOT include the WRT1900ACSv2, so while his builds are very well regarded as having few bugs and sometimes neat extra features (though released less often), they are irrelevant to me personally. I use the past tense because his relationship to Brainslayer has recently evolved, and I am not up on it, again because of that irrelevancy to my router.

Brainslayer is the main dd-wrt developer and builds firmware for a vast number of routers, most of which he is in no position to test. So we are all the beta testers, and we report our experiences in the "new build" threads in the Marvell (our CPU maker) forum: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58&topicdays=0&start=0. Watch those new-build threads before deciding to download any particular build, as there are sometimes bugs. Take note of what routers people try it on, because, for example, the WRT1900ACSv2 rarely has problems, while the WRT3200ACM rarely has no problems. Occasional problems affect all routers, but they are usually specific to lesser-used features or special situations.

SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
By the way, I gather that the Kong builds have moved. Forget where I learned it (do some searching?), but what I have bookmarked is https://source.wifihell.com/3-DD-WRT-KONG/K3-AC-MVEBU/. In the WRT1900 series, he has builds for the AC, ACv2, ACS (implicitly v1), but not the ACSv2. I don't know the vintage of these, as it seems he gave up on the Linksys/Marvell WRT line after those, and the ACSv2 has been out quite a while. I didn't quite get what version you had (seemed like the ACSv1, but I'm not sure), so I figured I should offer the link.

Personally, in spite of people seeming in general to prefer Kong builds when available, I'd rather go with something recent from BS if the latest Kong build is old. Security bugs get caught over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: