High CPU temperature on R7000?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
lolcocks
DD-WRT User


Joined: 31 May 2013
Posts: 123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 19:24    Post subject: High CPU temperature on R7000? Reply with quote
Hello,

I got a used R7000 and for some reason it's running on really high temperatures.

I let the router cool down to 20°C which is the room temperature.

I plugged it in and the temperature in DD-WRT is 30°C.

5 minutes later it's 35°C.

20 minutes later it's 45°C.

1 hour later it's 61.9°C.

1 hour 10 minutes later it's 62.5°C.

This stops until it reaches 70°C.

Why is this happening? I have even disabled 5 GHz WiFi. Only 4 devices connected to WiFi.

And I did this testing at night when everyone was asleep. So there was no usage.

I am running "DD-WRT v3.0-r38580M kongac (02/05/19)"
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 3964
Location: UK, London, just across the river..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
does your cat sleeps on the router ??? Razz

i guess this is normal temp, of course you can open it and improve heat sink or there are some ideas with
cooling fans and ect... mine stands vertical and its fine but here is a winter now..summer time i've seen it like 60C ish but never been concerned...

_________________
Atheros
TP-Link WR740Nv1 -----DD-WRT 44538 BS AP,NAT
TP-Link WR740Nv4 -----DD-WRT 44251 BS WAP/Switch
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 44715 BS AP,NAT,AP Isolation,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---DD-WRT 44849 BS AP,NAT,AD Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN,VLAN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 ---Gargoyle OS 1.12.0 AP,NAT,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm/IPQ8065
Netgear R7800 -----DD-WRT 44849 BS AP,NAT,AD-Block,AP&Net Isolation,VLAN's,Firewall,Local DNS,DoT
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 -----DD-WRT 44849 BS AP,Wi-Fi OFF,NAT,AD-Block,Firewall,Local DNS,Forced DNS,DoT,VPN
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stubby for DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
smask
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 28 Jan 2016
Posts: 48
Location: The sofa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
70°C, that's not exceedingly hot. When I flashed mine to r38570, I logged it at 66.7°C and this was when it were situated in a wardrobe together with a NAS and a laser printer.

In the attic where it sits now, it register at 59.9°C.

DD-WRT runs everything thru the CPU as BS and Kong doesn't have access to propriety hardware more than the occasional binary blob.

_________________
WNDR4300 BS K3.18 r40559 (Main AP)
WNDR3700v3 r40009 (WAP)
--- Spares ---
R7000 BS K4.4 r40750 (Dead ethernet ports)
WNDR4000 BS K3.10 r31899 (Loaned out to tenant who lives in my old home)
WNR2000v2 BS K2.6 r39230 (bricks and giggles)
+ A bunch of WRT54GL:s

I use my routers with pretty basic configuration. Only having WiFi + BT coexist enabled.
I don't have any USB devices connected.
lolcocks
DD-WRT User


Joined: 31 May 2013
Posts: 123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
does your cat sleeps on the router ??? Razz

i guess this is normal temp, of course you can open it and improve heat sink or there are some ideas with
cooling fans and ect... mine stands vertical and its fine but here is a winter now..summer time i've seen it like 60C ish but never been concerned...



smask wrote:
70°C, that's not exceedingly hot. When I flashed mine to r38570, I logged it at 66.7°C and this was when it were situated in a wardrobe together with a NAS and a laser printer.

In the attic where it sits now, it register at 59.9°C.

DD-WRT runs everything thru the CPU as BS and Kong doesn't have access to propriety hardware more than the occasional binary blob.



I see... thank you.

Though, I will say that the Netgear firmware was running way hotter. It doesn't show the temperature but just by touching the upper plastic I would say the CPU was about 80°C
SinCalChewy
DD-WRT User


Joined: 09 Nov 2014
Posts: 312
Location: Bakersfield, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both of mine are overclocked at 1200,800 and stay around 70°C on the normal, and they're both sitting on top of a mini-fridge, meaning it's cold so they do have some cooling from the fridge. *shrug* FWIW

It's at "CPU 66.9 °C" right now with many wireless on both channels on my gateway. So I'd say 70°C isn't gonna kill your router. :)

_________________

Deployed Routers:
Netgear R7000 - 5x build 44538M
- Gateway: DoT/DoH, CAKE QoS, USB /w Entware
- Second Subnet Gateway: CAKE QoS, USB /w Entware
- Client Bridge x3: USB /w Entware

Spares/Backups/Collection:
Too many to list. I have old routers, bricked routers, weird routers. You name it.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 4339
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:18    Post subject: Re: High CPU temperature on R7000? Reply with quote
lolcocks wrote:
Hello,

I got a used R7000 and for some reason it's running on really high temperatures.

I let the router cool down to 20°C which is the room temperature.

I plugged it in and the temperature in DD-WRT is 30°C.

5 minutes later it's 35°C.

20 minutes later it's 45°C.

1 hour later it's 61.9°C.

1 hour 10 minutes later it's 62.5°C.

This stops until it reaches 70°C.

Why is this happening? I have even disabled 5 GHz WiFi. Only 4 devices connected to WiFi.

And I did this testing at night when everyone was asleep. So there was no usage.

I am running "DD-WRT v3.0-r38580M kongac (02/05/19)"


70° is the normal temp, the newer R7000 revisions have a slightly modified heatsink, which gives around 65° normal temp. The same cpu runs at 80° to 90° in other manufacturer models. e.g. d-link.

I even had the 6200 units running at around 100° for longer time without any issues. The cpu takes it but other components usually fail under such conditions, e.g. capacitors.

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum