Netgear R8000 and Google WIFI routers

honcito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:44    Post subject: Netgear R8000 and Google WIFI routers Reply with quote
Hi, Need some help to resolve the following network setup:

I have right now a Netgear R800 running DD-WRT and Astrill VPN applet which connects to my ISP modem (bridged). Since my house is 3 floors, WIFI signal is not reaching everywhere, so I purchase 3 Google WIFI pucks to install one on each floor.

Few "static devices" at home like (Apple TV, Roku, TVs, NAS) connect by wire and rest like Iphones, Ipads, etc and 1 PC running Plex server and 1 printer connect via wifi because don't have cable connection where they are.

My main problem is that the PC running Plex server will connect to the Google WIFI whereas the NAS storing the movies will connect to the wired DD-WRT, so any media device will see the plex serve but it will not be able to access the NAS..

One solution could be putting the DD-WRT in switch mode, so everything will be managed by the Google WiFi DHCP, but in this mode the VPN applet will not connect to the VPN servers..

On the other hand if I put the DD-WRT as main router to manage the DHCP, then the Google pucks will have to be in AP mode.. or will end up having double NAT.

Any suggestions how to setup both networks to have:

1) VPN on the DD-WRT router
2) Googlw WIFI pucks working as MESH
3) both Wired and Wifi devices to see each other.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.provideocoalition.com/google-wifi-howwhy-interconnect-units-via-ethernet/
honcito
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/google-wifi-howwhy-interconnect-units-via-ethernet/

It is more complex than this.. otherwise I could have done it..

Thanks anyway.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could it be less complex to use the DLNA server on the R8000 to cast the movies?

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: