R9000 10G Port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been tied up with sorting out my DIY NAS playing up so no time to catch up with your R9000 cooling mod last couple of days.

Don't know if i can do a better job than yours on the R9000.

I'd add the following notes.

Noctua fans have the distinguished grooves on the blade edges to reduce noise when in motion. They are quiet for this reason. I read sometime ago that the engineers learned the trick from analyzing quiet flights made by owls. Fascinating.

Secondly, the 12v Noctua fan, if no gap b/w itself and the wall, would produce significantly less amount of air flow. I'd say.

And finally, if it were me, i would try to use some sort of flexible mesh (e.g. such as flynet) in place of the one you replaced. You never know. Some insects may really like your rig, Smile make your R9000 irresistible as their home, getting inside. And more likely doing a kamikaze.

Good job, and thank again.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
DWCruiser wrote:

Secondly, the 12v Noctua fan, if no gap b/w itself and the wall, would produce significantly less amount of air flow. I'd say.

And finally, if it were me, i would try to use some sort of flexible mesh (e.g. such as flynet) in place of the one you replaced. You never know. Some insects may really like your rig, Smile make your R9000 irresistible as their home, getting inside. And more likely doing a kamikaze.

Good job, and thank again.

Ty. It is actually a 5v fan but who's counting lol. There is plenty of room behind the fan although the angle in the picture doesn't really show that.

As far as insects in my room, dare they enter.. they shall fight to the death Razz I'll be on the lookout for post-fan insect parts Smile
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't know that iperf3 was bundled with DD-WRT. This is what I'm getting from a PC with an Intel X550 and the R9000.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.83 GBytes 1.57 Gbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.83 GBytes 1.57 Gbits/sec receiver
[ 6] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.74 GBytes 1.50 Gbits/sec sender
[ 6] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.74 GBytes 1.50 Gbits/sec receiver
[ 8] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.40 GBytes 1.20 Gbits/sec sender
[ 8] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.40 GBytes 1.20 Gbits/sec receiver
[ 10] 0.00-10.00 sec 985 MBytes 826 Mbits/sec sender
[ 10] 0.00-10.00 sec 983 MBytes 825 Mbits/sec receiver
[ 12] 0.00-10.00 sec 964 MBytes 808 Mbits/sec sender
[ 12] 0.00-10.00 sec 961 MBytes 806 Mbits/sec receiver
[SUM] 0.00-10.00 sec 6.87 GBytes 5.91 Gbits/sec sender
[SUM] 0.00-10.00 sec 6.87 GBytes 5.90 Gbits/sec receiver

iperf Done.
asavage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
@Alozaros In the freezer never (sure way to kill it fast the humidity is not good for tech)

Nice try, but the freezer is actually the lowest humidity location in your house; all the free moisture in the air is immediately bound up in ice! Ever hear of "freezer burn"? It's the gradual removal of water from frozen items --> converted to ice.

the-joker wrote:
I also wouldnt have used superglue, Im rather partial to high temperature resistant silicone, the one used for automotive gaskets [. . . ]

+1. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) is notoriously brittle, and not at all resistant to vibration. I'm a big fan of RTV silicones for general-purpose adhesives. The Permatex orange stuff is good for a ridiculously high temp.

---

"Too hot to touch" is around 120°F/49°C.

R7800 x2
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
asavage wrote:
Nice try, but the freezer is actually the lowest humidity location in your house; all the free moisture in the air is immediately bound up in ice! Ever hear of "freezer burn"? It's the gradual removal of water from frozen items --> converted to ice.

Right, then put your router in the freezer and see how long it takes to die. Frost free freezer would be a better premise while regular old freezer is a terrible idea.
Make a video of it and post it to Youtube if you ever have money to burn Wink

P.S.

I dont recommend it, I had a hard drive for repair and my freezer is the old type not frost free, after about 15 minutes the drive was covered in frost (no I had no plastic bags or cling film or any of that to put drive inside or wrap it. I was able to recover the data needed from it however and it was shortly after turned into a nice paperweight by removing the lid exposing the platters and filling it with clear epoxy resin and polished and framed, it made a good Christmas present.

A good quality frost free freezer would not have this immediate issue and risk freezing any droplets which would form when in contact with warm areas, this happens in wrong mobo area and could be a lottery if it causes any micro fractures or not.

But sure would make a good experiment and have real entertainment value.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
asavage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep trying . . .

At the voltages found on a router, ice is effectively an insulator -- it's almost as electrically conductive as air. A non-frost-free freezer, without the daily warm-up cycle, would actually be better for use as a cooling vault for a router. Not energy efficient, mind, but as a thought experiment it passes muster.

I appreciate your anecdote about taking an already malfunctioning device and freezing it, then Lo! It still malfunctions. Now, there's a surprise I saw coming.

R7800 x2
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

I had a hard drive for repair and my freezer is the old type not frost free, after about 15 minutes the drive was covered in frost (no I had no plastic bags or cling film or any of that to put drive inside or wrap it. I was able to recover the data needed from it

Nice! Got the job done, no questions please Wink
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been a couple of weeks in some 95F/35C summer heat with very high humidity. The room where this AP is placed is not air conditioned all the time, only when in use. The ambient temps and humidity fluctuate considerably this time of year and more so in this relentless heat wave.

The transceiver is staying cool regardless and the wireless connection has been very stable. The cyanoacrylate glue is holding up great and below the rated temps but is getting a significant vibration 'workout' now. The Noctua fans are working perfectly but the Sunon fan has started to make some noise and run off balance which is creating vibration. Failure is eminent at this point.. sounds like maybe a bad bearing I am not sure but the glue is holding up quite well.

I'm not sure if the reason this fan failed so quickly is because of the heat and humidity, fan orientation or just plain bad luck. The AP is mounted on the wall vertically therefore the fan is also running vertically. I am hesitant to replace the fan with another of the same model because it died so quickly. There are also not a lot of choices for 30mm fans of this width so I may have to take another chance or find an alternative.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The fan is easily solvable, remove the top sticker with a hair drier and you will find under lubrication point down the center, some mineral clear oil to the rescue, then clean the area free of any residue and apply sticker. Any noise should go away it happens.
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

asavage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry you've had trouble with the Sunon, as they have been a very reliable replacement brand for me over the past two decades. I only buy the ball-bearing versions of Sunons, which are slightly louder (plain bearings are quieter than ball bearings). My sample size of Sunon replacement fans is around twenty, with no subsequent failures in my service.

If you have a plain-bearing Sunon, Joker's relubrication procedure does buy some time, but only that; it'll be an ongoing maintenance item.

R7800 x2
the-joker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure once or twice a year assuming there's no damaged bearing and that's a job and a half to break hardened steel bearings. I had a 10 month maintenance on my external fans due to whirring annoying noise but they are really exposed to dust and heat/cold nonsense.

But hey its the price we pay for buying what we buy or reuse what can be reused.

All maintainable, as long as nothing chews the plastic, even damaged bearings are replaceable, if you have that kind of patience Wink

Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Sunon fan I am using is indeed ball bearing.

Sunon GM0503PEB1-8
Dimensions: 30x30x6 MM
Voltage: DC 5V
Current: 0.12A
Input Power: 0.6W
Speed: 9500 RPM
Air Flow: 4.9 CFM
Noise: 28.5 dBA
Bearing: Ball
Feature: Speed Sensor (Tachometer Output)
Termination: 3-Pin / 3-Wire

It is not running at full speed thanks to the splitter but I do have a LVA if needed.
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to give this fan a try instead.

Sunon 30mm x 10mm 5V DC MagLev cooling fan with a Vapo bearing ( model # GM0503PFV2-8 )
https://www.sunonusa.com/technology/vapo-bearing/
Puppetnation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
I'm curious how hot these things actually get. Does anyone with a R9000 seriously not have an infra-red thermometer? Those things are cheap these days. I think many of you would lose most of your concerns (or gain them Wink ) if you absolutely knew the real temperature.

Besides, "Too hot to touch" is subjective. There are things to hot for me to pick up, but my wife picks them up easily without getting burned. She may be a Martian source error. Very Happy

Hey there,
same as yours, R9000 and 10Gtek transceiver, used downlinked to a 24 port switch for home lan, it's up 24/24 hours but not as hell as you are experiencing. Have you ever tried to SWAP the transceivers? Maybe it's a bad cap inside the R9000 which badly manages voltage for the SFP+ port...

cheers
GM

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laithan wrote:
it gets VERY hot..

Sadly, this is the price of shoving 10 giggedybits over twisted pair copper. It takes a significant amount of power - 10x or more than to do the same thing over lasers & optical fibre or direct attach copper.

We see the same thing for 10G switches and RJ45 modules in SFP+ switches - dramatically much more power required and lots more waste heat for bruteforcing 10G. It's why 10GBASE-T is likely the end of the road for copper networking.

I'm using optical module in my R9000. It's quite warm but it's pleasant warm, not burning hot. Fan still set to default.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: