R9000 10G Port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 23:09    Post subject: R9000 10G Port Reply with quote
QNAP 10G switch arrived and 10G port with SFP+ cable works with reboot.

Yippee!

Tnx
Dave

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Sponsor
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been using ever since the beginning, works fine with SF
P+ no issues only thing is you get 7gbps max instead of 9+.

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
jackykoning
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
labo wrote:

I can get ~6gb/s with the R7800 if I iperf itself. Meaning that this is a CPU bottleneck.

Good to know though, thanks for the information.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
try moving the interrupts for the 10g switch to a free core if not done already

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
jackykoning wrote:
labo wrote:

I can get ~6gb/s with the R7800 if I iperf itself. Meaning that this is a CPU bottleneck.

Good to know though, thanks for the information.

LOL, R7800 doesn't have a 10G port, don't how you get 6gbps... even ethernet loop back you should get around 950mbps

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
10G certainly woke my NAS up. It went from 100MBS to 800-900MBS on transfers.
Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Old thread but figured it was better to keep the info here together.

I picked up a 10Gtek 10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Module Transceiver and connected it to my R9000.. it is working as expected. As others have reported, it gets VERY hot.. so hot that I am actually concerned about damage to the router and fire safety.

Some said they just configured the fan to run 24/7, but I'm not sure if this is even helping much/at all. The SFP module is still hot to the point where you cannot touch it.

Anyone else using the 10Gbps port with a SFP+ to Copper transceiver? Is this reliable long term, 24/7? Perhaps I should just use bonding with 1Gbps instead? TY
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I stopped using the transceiver as I just cannot stop worrying if this thing is going to catch fire one day or destroy the R9000. I am going to try using bonding instead since I have a lot of free 1Gbps ports but will have to run another cable to through the house.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does link aggregation (bonding) even work in DD-WRT, let alone supported on the R9000?

http://router.ipaddr.goes.here/Networking.asp
http://router.ipaddr.goes.here/Vlan.asp

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bonding

Setup Bonding for Link aggregation - Adv. Networking
Link Aggregation on R7000 - Broadcom
Link Aggregation - x86
R9000 Link aggregation - Atheros
LAG and Bonding Ports - Adv. Networking
Link aggregation on ports 3 & 4 --> Netgear R7000 - Adv. Networking
Netgear R8500: Port Aggregation / Bonding? - Broadcom
VLAN Detached Networks on R9000 - Atheros

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laithan wrote:
I stopped using the transceiver as I just cannot stop worrying if this thing is going to catch fire one day or destroy the R9000. I am going to try using bonding instead since I have a lot of free 1Gbps ports but will have to run another cable to through the house.

There is no thermal solution on the SFP port, none, ziltch, just a shield and that's it.

Me being me, I would find a way to wack either a internal fan or external usb fan to cool the sucker down.

When I looked at pictures of the R9000, I was surprised how bad the thermal solutions are for such a powerful piece of kit and at the same time, not surprised at all.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:15; edited 1 time in total
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is a enough space to place a small heat sink/radiator on the top of it, if you keep the unit open you can even mount a something more solid....i dont know if the other SFP, that use optics are that hot too...but RJ45 is a damn hot...also compatibility could be funny until you find the correct adapter...
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/75322.html

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
there is a enough space to place a small heat sink/radiator on the top of it, .....

Reading Alozaros's, i am reminded what i did to my very first NAS, Synology DS-106 one-Disk, years ago to keep it cool.

I may embark on a similar project if i ever need to use the SFP+ 10Gb port of the R9000.

Despite old technology (no redundancy), it still works. I keep it for posterity. Smile Now on a DIY 8-disks NAS running TrueNAS with Link Aggregation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is what I have done to mine (RT-AC68U), when I initially bought that router some years ago.

Different fans than attachment below (it is something I found on the web to illustrate) and with braided cables and it has an added inline potentiometer which sits between the fans is all a DYI job, post tearing the whole router down and replacing the thermal compound with a high performance one instead, back then when I did this, I was almost going to buy a pure copper heatsink replacement as well but decided not to in the end.

On mine a fan is pushing the other pulling, the case inside has dust filters and once a year I need to clean the whole lot out.

On the R9000 there is a possibility of using small heatsinks attaching to several parts of the shield but not covering the entire surface and then using some fans to pull air out of it, but its not an ideal position to lay it horizontally the heat as is gets trapped inside too much, while on a standing position the heat as it naturally rises will try to escape though the top, but with added fans and heatsinks strategically positioned, it may help matters.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm curious how hot these things actually get. Does anyone with a R9000 seriously not have an infra-red thermometer? Those things are cheap these days. I think many of you would lose most of your concerns (or gain them Wink ) if you absolutely knew the real temperature.

Besides, "Too hot to touch" is subjective. There are things to hot for me to pick up, but my wife picks them up easily without getting burned. She may be a Martian source error. Very Happy

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
Laithan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Does link aggregation (bonding) even work in DD-WRT, let alone supported on the R9000?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bonding

I have not attempted this yet, just assumed it was possible because of that Wiki page. As I begin to go further down the rabbit hole it seems the R9000 can be tricky due to having multiple switches. Reading more... I was planning on using LACP, 802.3ad.

I wish I could just use fiber and call it a day but I don't have fiber in the rack..

the-joker wrote:

There is no thermal solution on the SFP port, none, ziltch, just a shield and that's it. Me being me, I would find a way to wack either a internal fan or external usb fan to cool the sucker down.

---

On the R9000 there is a possibility of using small heatsinks attaching to several parts of the shield but not covering the entire surface and then using some fans to pull air out of it, but its not an ideal position to lay it horizontally the heat as is gets trapped inside too much, while on a standing position the heat as it naturally rises will try to escape though the top, but with added fans and heatsinks strategically positioned, it may help matters.

You have me thinking.. although USB fans are usually not great quality, I am 100% fine with "jank" as long as it works and is reliable. My only challenge is that the router is wall mounted... so the SFP is vertical so I would have to work against heat rising.

I wonder if the sinks would even pull enough heat away...my guess is that it is well over 150F..

lexridge wrote:
I'm curious how hot these things actually get. Does anyone with a R9000 seriously not have an infra-red thermometer? Those things are cheap these days. I think many of you would lose most of your concerns (or gain them Wink ) if you absolutely knew the real temperature.

Besides, "Too hot to touch" is subjective. There are things to hot for me to pick up, but my wife picks them up easily without getting burned. She may be a Martian source error. Very Happy

I went on quite the adventure today.. I actually have TWO of these.. be damned if I can find either one. Vanished.. I am sure if I ever find them I will also find 100lbs of lost socks lol. It would kill me to buy a 3rd one so I may just borrow one from a friend lol because now I want to know.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: