SFE causing network on one VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
RJS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 21:36    Post subject: SFE causing network on one VLAN Reply with quote
I have been running version v3.0-r49113 on a Linksys WRT3200ACM for the last 6 to 8 weeks just fine. I have it set up with VLAN1 on ports 1, 2, and 3, VLAN2 on the WAN port (4), and VLAN3 on port 0. VLAN3 is my IoT network. I have a 900 Mbps internet connection. Most of my devices are wireless, however, I have 3 PCs connected to VLAN1 via ethernet as well as one TV wired to VLAN3.
Now the issue. A few days ago, my PCs on VLAN1 all started crawling on the network. None of the Wifi devices on any WLAN show any slowdown, nor does the TV on VLAN3. The long and short, anything physically connected to ports 1-3 have very slow network throughput. Everything else is fine. I take my laptop and move it to each port and run Speedtest by Ookla. On VLAN1 ports 1-3, the speed test runs about 77Mbps and then fails with a socket error. The laptop runs the speed test on VLAN3 at 911Mbps with no errors. All Wifi connections run at around 100Mbps which is faster than I get with my Comcast Gateway Modem. However, I have found that if I Disable the SFE setting under Setup/Basic Setup/WAN Setup/Optional Settings, throughput is much improved, (though still slightly slower) at 865Mbps. I have also played with the SFE settings under Setup/Networking. Everything I find on SFE settings tells me that I should expect just the opposite. But what concerns me is why should it only affect VLAN1 and nothing else. Based on my configuration notes, I have been running with SFE enabled since I first started using DD-WRT 5 years ago. I have not "messed" with the router for the six or so weeks that it has been performing as I wanted. I know I should just disable the setting and be happy. But I was wondering if anyone has an idea what is happening.

Current Configuration:
DD-WRT v3.0-r49934 std (8/28/22) - I upgraded this while trying to figure out the problem.
Router: Linksys WRT3200ACM
CPU Model: Marvel Armada 385
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you create a VAP (Virtual wifi Access Point) SFE should disable automatically (this does not happen on all routers I have noticed)
That is for a reason because SFE can not deal very well with complex routing e.g. VAP, VLAN, some complex OpenVPN and WireGuard setups (with server and clients together)

SFE makes shortcuts for connections to speed things up based on some criteria and it appears to become confused easily.

Bottom line do not use it for complex setups, your router is fast enough already Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
RJS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I did add a couple of VAP along with the VLANs, so fits with what you said. I will turn it off and be happy.
BUT, is it ever "fast enough"??? Smile
Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: