WRT1900ACSv2 installation issues - noob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
lbddwrtnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:41    Post subject: WRT1900ACSv2 installation issues - noob Reply with quote
Hi folks.

Utter noob here, looking for some confirmation and assistance prior to jumping into the ddwrt world.

I have the Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 router that I wish to use as an 'always on' VPN router 'behind' my main router to circumvent geographical restrictions in my home country.

The OEM firmware version is 2.0.2.188405

I have read the following resources:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
(Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.))

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ which upon filtering for my router brings me to: https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/?model=WRT1900ACS_v2

This last page informs me that the build to use for my router is v3.0 [Beta] Build: 40559
I have downloaded the factory-to-ddwrt.bin from that page.

Question: Is this the 'best' version to use for my Router? If it is not, how do you determine the best version to use?

So far so good?

The Marvell Install guide informs me that:
Quote:
The factory to dd-wrt is for installing DD-WRT from the Linksys GUI. This file will be used under two circumstances.
1. You are installing DD-WRT for the first time.
2. You have switched back to opposite partition and you have the Linksys Stock Firmware on that partition.

The article directs me to the Linksys support page that shows me how to manually select a firmware upgrade.

I followed the Linksys instructions, selected the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file, and hit start. I got a warning message that the file name was not in an expected format, but ignored the error and proceeded with the install. I was asked to wait, which I did, the router rebooted and viola, I'm back to where I started, logged into the OEM firmware version 2.0.2.188405 !! Nothing appears to have happened with the upgrade.

Question: What am I doing wrong, please? I've really tried to RTFM but it appears that PEBKAC
Sponsor
lbddwrtnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been searching for similar issues in this Forum and came across this post:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322058

User BLKT wrote:
Quote:
Go back to a build from early 2018, before April 20 which are below 32MB. You are running into a Linksys GUI firmware upgrade size limitation. I've had people successfully upgrade by picking the first build from January 2018 using the factory-to-ddwrt binary. Once successfully flashed you can webflash from DD-WRT to any build.

I have installed the appropriate Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 image from the first available January 2018 releases and this appears to have worked. (34315)

I think this should be a 'sticky' in the Marvell Forum Cliff Notes (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117) for this particular model. It is very, very difficult to get this right otherwise.

I am now trying to upgrade via the 40559 release via the dd-wrt gui (ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin) to bring me up to the recommended version.

However - the upgrade is faiilng - and has failed 3 times now. I have power cycled the modem to bring back to 34315 but cannot get this upgrade to work.

Any advice on how to upgrade would be much appreciated.
lbddwrtnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sheesh...

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322025

Same user (BLKT thanks) suggests two things to get your web upgrade happening for this router.

1: Hold the reset button for 10 seconds to clear memory after the install of 34315 from OEM.

2: Install Firefox or Waterfox Classic and execute the upgrade from there. Chrome (for me) clearly was having issues with the DD-WRT front end.

Those two snippets of information have enabled me to upgrade to the recommended 40559.
blkt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh it gets better. Please ignore the router database. If you run into any problems you can always downgrade.

Known stable builds from this year are r38159, r39144 and r40009.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/

Never reset to default settings during a dd-wrt webflash. That can always be done later.

Alternative to using the hard reset button, from Telnet/SSH you can issue this command. nvram erase && reboot

Edge browser has migrated to a Chrome base so I would avoid that one too.

I stopped checking IE versions to see if still works, but if you have an old version of Windows you are probably using FF anyway.

Firefox base: Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon, Firefox, ESR, Portable Legacy, or SeaMonkey.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never use the router database. It is obsolete. To pick a build, listen to others with the exact same router model and watch the new-build threads in the Marvell forum (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58). I am convinced the WRT1900ACSv2 is the most trouble-free of the WRT series, so congratulations on that bit of luck! (If it ever starts to get squirrelly and weird though, set it on a USB fan blowing up through the case. I use a 120mm AC Infinity model that runs $10 or $12 in the US.)

I find 40009 from June 2019 to be the most recent absolutely reliable build for the WRT1900ACSv2, and per the new-build threads, so do many other owners of Linksys/Marvell WRT routers. I have 40009 running on three routers now, and one of them has been running it for around four months (though with nightly scheduled reboots). I've watched the Marvell new-build threads since, and they've all reported problems, particularly (even in the very latest build, 41586) with loss of GUI requiring "restart httpd" in the ssh/telnet/putty CLI to restart it. There is a "ticket" in the system reporting the problem, but no one has figured out yet exactly what configuration circumstances trigger it, so no progress has been made chasing it down.

I should add that while many have warned of upgrading without reset in too-large steps and generally suggest only moving forward a few months at a time, I've found webflash upgrades without reset from 38159 (Jan 1, 2019) to 39144 to 40009 in particular to be trouble-free, as long as one inspects the GUI after each. I did see spurious material appear in Additional DHCPd Options in GUI>Services>Services after the jump from 38159 to 39144 in two different routers, and in one subsequent jump to 40009, three Basic Setup boxes had spontaneously become unchecked. These sorts of things are why the really careful prefer a reset when flashing, followed by re-entering all settings. My number of settings exceeds my energy level, however, so I (and many others) just upgrade in small steps without reset and hope for the best.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:28    Post subject: WRT 1900acs V2 Reply with quote
Quick question about dd-wrt version, just bought a Linksys 1900acs v2 that came with dd-wrt installed. V3.0-r32170 (06/01/17) I’m planning to set it up with nord vpn. Any reason to update to more recent build version. Would I have to stagger the versions on the way to the eventual build. Just want the most stable release. Thanks guys
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
That build is way before my time. There is an old thread in the Marvell forum on that particular router and all the problems dd-wrt had with it early on, when supporting the router was new to dd-wrt. I don't know just when that all evened out, but if your build is too old, you risk the problems associated with that router model early on.

It turned out eventually that the WRT1900ACSv2 was pretty much the most solid WRT router ever for dd-wrt. The builds that generally did well in my world are 36698, 37736, 38159, 39144, and 40009. I was on 34315 for a while before that, but I don't really remember it being as trouble free. The last two in the list above were really great, however.

BTW, I used Nord for the past year and a half, right up until a month or so ago, when I switched to AirVPN. See the link in my sig on setting up AirVPN for a discussion, fairly early in the how-to, of why I bailed on Nord. Summary: it worked well except that I had to tweak the config every few weeks because Nord kept retiring servers. Also, I'm convinced AirVPN is simply more secure. I haven't read through it carefully, but the AirVPN forum has a substantial thread on why not to use NordVPN.

If you do decide to go with Nord, I can post for you the exact set up that worked for me. (For Air, see the how-to.) Nord's instructions were old and incomplete, and to get things working I had to communicate with Nord support and post in the forums here, etc. No use you going through all that as well.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excuse the random rant. Fuck that damn router database. It's causing more problems now than before. People flashing K24 builds on RT-AC66s, Ralink firmware files on Marvell, Broadcom on Atheros IPQ, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria! Really apocalyptic stuff! Bonus points if you get the reference lol
E4200 v1 FreshTomato 2020.1.development
R7000 FreshTomato 2020.1.development
E4200 v1 1.0.07.development
WRT3200ACM OpenWRT 18.06.5
---------------------------------------------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
'Tis the season to flash build 40559.
philmorris18921986
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 13:47    Post subject: Please help Noob Reply with quote
Hi
Please can you help me. I would like to connect my Internet service Provider modem/router to my new Linksys 1900acsv2 running build 38159. (happy to flash if this ver is an issue)
I would like to connect the routers wired and for router 2 linksys to utilize the internet connection of modem/router 1. Router 2 Linksys would have its own VPN with Nord which I have signed up to. Effectively creating two networks one through my ISP router with available LAn ports and wireless SSID non VPN and a second network through Linksys with a VPN Lan Ports and Wireless SSID. Therefore, if I want a piece of hardware trough the protections of the VPN I can but also have the network as my ISP intended through their router.
I have tried tutorials that enable the WAN port on the linksys effectively disabling its normal function to be the connection to my primary ISP router and I have tried changing the config settings provided by NORD in the DD-WRT set up. All to no use!
I just cannot get the Linksys router to use my existing ISP connection and then connect to the Nord servers. I need guidance on the physical set up of the cables between router 1 and router 2 and the settings for linksys router 2 to use the ISP connectionfrommy primary router to talk to the Nord VPN. On the WAN setup various tutorials have suggested Disabled, PPTP, L2TP and automatic configuration DHCP. Surprised it works has been a great help already allyour help will be greatly appreciated. I have attached some error logs
Please help thank you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: