Authentication failure on later builds for VAPs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:24    Post subject: Re: Slow Ethernet Reply with quote
andrewcz wrote:
Hello all,

Can anybody please let me know if this affects ethernet speeds? I'm getting 1/10th the bandwidth that I can on my upstream router using ethernet.

I didn't benchmark before. However, my upstream router/internet gateway (pfsense) is getting ~450/50 Mbps, while my AC68U dd-wrt is getting ~35/2 Mbps. It's not even NATting, it's just routing.

If this is probably not related to `wlconf`, then I'll make a separate post about it.

No this has nothing to do with your problem

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Sponsor
zxtwonder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configuration:
Netgear R6700 v3
DD-WRT v3.0-r41874 std (01/03/20)
One bridged VAP on 2.4 GHz
One bridged VAP on 5 GHz (for smart devices)
One unbridged VAP on 5 GHz (for guest)

TL;DR version:
The unbridged VAP worked with no issue. The two bridged VAPs couldn't be accessed after setup. The following startup script (thanks to lpy) has made them work so far (Web UI: Admin -> Commands -> Save Startup), even after several reboots. Note: It usually takes a little longer for them to be accessible after reboots - try again in couple seconds.
Code:
sleep 2
wlconf eth1 down
wlconf eth2 down
sleep 2
wlconf eth1 up
wlconf eth2 up

Full version:
There are a lot of success reports after following quarkysg's instructions. I took a closer look at the commit that is reverted. However, as it looks to me, the previous code does not really make sense, which uses MBSS_UC_IDX_MASK (equals to 50) as the bit mask when generating MAC addresses for the VAPs - unless it is a special requirement for some legacy hardware? Also if the AP MAC ends with EE, it results in the same MAC address for the VAP, with the only difference being the local bit. Basically, there seems no magic in that commit to mysteriously break stuff.

Together with lpy's suggestion, is it possible that the success reports after running quarkysg's wlconf do not come from the lack of the said commit, but rather, merely running wlconf a second time after boot?

There are a lot of different routers with different SoCs mentioned, which might have different root causes. At least on my R6700v3, the simple script worked without any external patches. It might be a timing issue with dd-wrt startup on R6700v3 - with dependency changes, the system starts faster and configures values earlier before the radio is fully ready?

It is worth trying with wlconf and/or ifconfig (not sure) really quick through telnet/ssh to see whether it works - no router reboot nor configuration change is needed. For example (change interface name accordingly):
Code:
ifconfig wl0.1 down
ifconfig wl0.1 up
wlconf eth1 down
wlconf eth1 up

quarkysg wrote:
For those running ARM based Broadcom routers, if you don't mind, try the following and see if it solves your problem:

1. Download the attached wlconf.gz file and transfer to your router.
2. 'gunzip' the file with the following command:

Code:
gunzip wlconf.gz
chmod u+x wlconf

3. Issue the following commands in the same directory that you have uploaded the wlconf.gz file:

Code:
stopservice nas
stopservice wlconf
./wlconf eth1 up
./wlconf eth2 up
startservice nas

You can ignore all the errors shown when the 'wlconf <intf> up' commands is executed.

From the changes in the source codes for the 'wlconf' utility, it looks like the way that the MAC addresses are getting generated for the wireless interfaces have changed for newer drivers. I guess it only applies to newer Broadcom wireless chipsets, which broke older chipsets.

I changed the 'wlconf' utility behaviour back to what it was previously and it seems to work OK for the following routers which I'm using:

D-Link DIR-868L
D-Link DIR-880L
Asus RT-AC68U/W

Do report back if the above works for you. It can then be used to report back to BS & Kong for further investigation.

HTH.

lpy wrote:
Asus RT-AC68U

I've been using 03-20-2018-r35452 for months because it was the latest stable version for me. Decided to try the latest 01-24-2019-r38381 and everything is fine except this issue.

I'm aware of the wlconf fix on page 1 but I found all I needed to do after a reboot was wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up;.

So I added that to the startup script using Telnet: nvram set rc_startup="sleep 60; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; sleep 60; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up;" and everything seems ok. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is the fix really this simple for the Asus RT-AC68U? I'm not sure if this is ok or if I should use the patched wlconf method.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are the workarounds which are reported to work I use no 4

Quote:
From approximately mid 2018 VAP's on Broadcom units are problematic, you cannot connect or do not get an IP address. There are workarounds :
1) When VAP is not working at boot; workaround startup command Administration/Commands, Save as Startup:
sleep 10; stopservice nas; stopservice wlconf; startservice wlconf; startservice nas;
2) Alternative way to get VAP working: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317181
3) An other user reports the following workaround (save as startup):
sleep 4; stopservice cron; stopservice wlconf; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice cron;
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=319412
4)This one is from @Redhawk (guaranteed to work ):
sleep 20; stopservice nas; wlconf eth1 down; wlconf eth2 down; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice nas; logger "VAP workaround executed";

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
alekosz.tudosz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
registered just to say a big thank you!

I had the same problem (RT-N66U, DD-WRT v3.0-r41664 big (12/06/19), bridged together a second VLAN on one switch port + 2nd wifi network on 2.4GHz; connection on LAN is OK but authentication error on wifi).
I was browsing for solutions for nights, to get the config working

I tried the below solution right now in CLI and suddenly I have wifi connected with internet.
I'll make it permanent.

Again, thank you!

zxtwonder wrote:
Configuration:
Netgear R6700 v3

TL;DR version:
The unbridged VAP worked with no issue. The two bridged VAPs couldn't be accessed after setup. The following startup script (thanks to lpy) has made them work so far (Web UI: Admin -> Commands -> Save Startup), even after several reboots. Note: It usually takes a little longer for them to be accessible after reboots - try again in couple seconds.
Code:
sleep 2
wlconf eth1 down
wlconf eth2 down
sleep 2
wlconf eth1 up
wlconf eth2 up

(just as a side note:
I as well had problems with the bridge configuration itself: it was not possible to assign an IP network config to the bridge, thus DHCP did not work either.
Everything looked OK with the setup on CLI and on the GUI under Setup -> Networking.
Finally I figured out that on the GUI I missed the 2 fields for the IP config, because the bridge was named gu0 and not br1
After renaming the bridge to br1, the 2 fields were shown and IP configuration was possible)
filterxg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Config:
r6700v1
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r42819 std (03/30/20) -though I've tried most of the 2020 builds

Attempted configuration:
2.4G Secure
2.4G Devices
2.4G Guest (Isolated)
5G Secure
5G Devices

zxtwonder wrote:
Configuration:
Netgear R6700 v3

TL;DR version:
Code:
sleep 2
wlconf eth1 down
wlconf eth2 down
sleep 2
wlconf eth1 up
wlconf eth2 up

This is the first thing that I've tried which moves in the right direction. With this I can get all the VAPs to show up and consistently log in if there isn't a password. However the moment I add a password I can rarely log on, and never immediately. There is a sweet spot after about 5 minutes where I have 50/50 chance, but then it decreases and by 30 minutes I can't authenticate. I also left the configuration overnight, and the router had stopped broadcasting most of the VAPs.

I'm going to try some old builds (early 2018) and see if those work, but I'm pretty close to throwing in the towel.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the past I used this one, do not know if it is still working:
Code:
sleep 20; stopservice nas; wlconf eth1 down; wlconf eth2 down; wlconf eth1 up; wlconf eth2 up; startservice nas; logger "VAP workaround executed";

diogosena
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vap is working on latest build!

DD-WRT v3.0-r43192 std (05/19/20)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: